Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT help with a honda
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gopack
Ok, here is my tale of woe. 2weeks ago, got new tires on my Honda pilot. The next day we were driving along, and it felt like a flat tire (wump wump wump) from the back. I got out, and kicked all tires, and nothing was wrong, and when i got back in, car felt fine. We kind of shrugged and said "that is weird!". I figured maybe a stone got caught in the tread and the tire was unbalanced or something like that. Well it happened again a week later. Got out inspected tires, kicked each wheel, and then it went away.
OK then last night it happened again, kicked tires, and it went away.... for 3 minutes. This time i got the jack out, (side of road, dark cold) and lifted each wheel and inspected for loose bearings, loose lug nuts etc. No easily identifiable problem. Put it back down ,and had wife drive slowly as I walked next to it to identify source. Heard a wump wump wump with another slightly metallic, mechanical noise emanating from BEHIND the left rear wheel. Then the problem went away again and we drove it home ~100 miles. any ideas anyone? Any Honda mechanics here? i am afraid that all my bragging about how this vehicle has never given me a lick of trouble is about to bite me in the wallet!

THANKS in Advance ofr any help
Dr. Roger
My guess.... an internally delaminating tire.

Hard to see but easy on a tire machine.
gopack
I thought of that , and the only thing that makes me think it isn't, is that it only does it once in a while! I hope it is something that simple!
gopack
icon_bump.gif
beuller?
beuller?
r_towle
First, I would jack up the car in your shop or driveway and loosen then retighten each wheel to ensure they are not mounted funky...it happens.

Second, with the wheel in the air, and a leather glove on...spin the wheel while feeling for a bubble...if its there, you will feel it...gloves are so you dont get hurt.

Third, bring it back to the tire store and have them drive it around.

Rich
goodwood73
Your problem is in the rear of the vehicle. Have you stuffed any bodies in the trunk. Good fellas was on last night, so I've seen your problem before.
Scott S
Take it back to the shop and have them check the internal tire pressure monitoring system. The shops seem to be getting more used to them, but I still hear stories of some shops wrecking them when installing new rubber.
Ferg
Rear CV going bad?
gopack
Took it to the dealer, who BTW installed the new tires, and they told me they found the parking brake was hanging up, cusing jsut one wheel to go WHUM WHUMP WHUMP. needs new cable, and I will try to install tat myself. Until then, I jsut wont use the parking brake! Thanks all for the help!
charliew
I had that happen to a fiero that I had just put new tires on. It mainly only happened on a turn. The cable was new and it would rub on the wheel weight sometimes, I didn't get it installed quite far enough over away from the wheel. It rubbed the coating off in a small spot. I thought I had a cv going out and parked it for about 6 months. When you fix it be sure the new cable is far enough over from the wheel. You should realize if it wasn't doing it before the dealer changed the tires they are the ones that ruined the cable, it didn't just move over against the wheel by itself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.