Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gas tank?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
So I was told that I can run the gas pump to empty the gas tank ,I'm I doing something wrong? because not a thing happen, it run and stop. + what hose do I remove I did booth?
championgt1
Is your pump in the stock location, with the stock wiring? If so it will only run for a couple seconds before it shuts off.
ericread
If your fuel pump is in the engine compartment, and if you are trying to empty your fuel tank, disconnect the fuel line where it enters the fuel filter and re-route the line into a gas can. Gravity is your friend.

(How's that for a run-on sentance?)

Eric
underthetire
If you want to use the pump, you would need to ground the pump terminal on the relay board. The gravity method works too headbang.gif found that out with gas all over the garage floor.
SirAndy
You need to bypass the FI brain to keep the pump running. There's a thread in the classics about running your carbed fuel pump using the FI relay which shows you how to temporarily jumper your relay board to keep the pump running.

bye1.gif Andy
oldschool
maybe I'm going about this all wrong,The car was not running for a few years,
So I want to make sure all the bad gas was out BTW there was just a small amount of gas. to start with so I added some gas.
oldschool
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Nov 23 2009, 06:39 PM) *

Is your pump in the stock location, with the stock wiring? If so it will only run for a couple seconds before it shuts off.

yes
tat2dphreak
FWIW, it took about 10 minutes and a couple 5 gallon buckets to do it with the gravity method.... I pulled the tank up as far as I could, clamped off the hoses, then cut the hoses (replacing them anyway) below the clamps, then pulled it the rest of the way out, and drank a beer while it was draining. might need a second person if you have a full tank tho.... you can also siphon it out with a garden hose, but I HATE doing that.
tod914
Able to drive the car till the gas is about out? Makes the draining alot easier.
tat2dphreak
not a good idea if the gas is bad... lacquer in the engine... bad
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.