Full Version: Someone bought a sweet 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
si2t3m
914/6 3.6 ... Sold

I'm curious about the Boxster tranny.

Anyone from the club???

Marc-André
East coaster
Maybe they push start it??? It is a race car!
davep
I knew that car long ago when it was still stock.
Don't know about the conversion parts but may be able to find out.
MattR
I'd like to see some shots of the engine/trans setup. Thats a sweet car, but I wonder why they didnt go with a different trans. Why the boxster? I understand its a mid engined trans and 6 speed and stuff, but arent there porsche racing transmissions that are better equiped for race cars? With 75 grand in the car, I wouldnt think they would skimp anywhere...
Mueller
Thats a sweet car, but I wonder why they didnt go with a different trans

"Porsche racing transmissions"????? huh?? AFAIK, they are all based on a production transmission

I dunno, different or better ratios?

the "other" 6-speed transmissions do not allow for easy (or at all) ring and pinion flipping???

Unless there is something "wrong" with the Boxster transmission, they made a good choice since it's a proven transmission and it's being run in the correct orientation that it was designed for.

I don't see it as a hard conversion to do, expensive for the average person, but if you can measure, cut, fabricate and weld, it's not that tough.........just from looking at a Boxster transmission at a quick glance, I'd say cut off the bellhousing and weld one the bellhousing from an air-cooled transmission. The problem with this method is down time and being able to make another or have one on hand if one breaks the heavily modified unit.
MattR
Did the 935, 956, 962, and GT1 all use production transmissions??? If so they were out before the boxster, so did porsche use a racing trans in a mass production boxster? I agree the boxster tranks is probably more then sufficient, Im just curious.

I guess a 962 produced a LOT more HP and had MUCH different gearing then a 996...
seanery
Is it just my computer, or is the layout of that webpage a pain in the ass? I could only see half the pics even though they took up less than half my screen width?
anthony
I agree. It's a PITA viewing that page. You can download the images though and then run them through your favorite picture viewer. I'd rather see engine/tranny pics.
drew365
I don't see it as a hard conversion to do, expensive for the average person, but if you can measure, cut, fabricate and weld, it's not that tough.........just from looking at a Boxster transmission at a quick glance, I'd say cut off the bellhousing and weld one the bellhousing from an air-cooled transmission.

Mike; did you ever try this? The bellhousing has to be perfectly perpandicular to the pilot shaft or the clutch will chatter when engaged. I owned a car that was hacked and know from experience. I wouldn't recommend it for a DIY'er. wacko.gif
Neal
The pictures have a slider bar at the bottom to scroll over to the right to view the other part of the picture
Brad Roberts
I'm highly interested to see if it actually had a Boxster tranny in it. I dont physically see how they could have done it without 5-8k in fab work on the tranny.

B
RocknRollFrenzy
Webpage says its a 5 speed. Don't know if i would go through all that just for gear ratios.......6 speeds would be cool though....someone else should spend a wad to do it, and then let me know how it works wink.gif
si2t3m
DaveP, if you can get some info, i'm really curious about the tranny setup!!!

(Like everyone else!) laugh.gif

Marc-André
Mark Henry
Yep... I posted this a while back that I met some PCA boys coming back from the Mosport racetrack. They were telling me about a teen with a 993 engine in it ...well I guess this was the unit.
davep
Mark,

You could ask Galloway about Swain's car. He might know more about it.
Nice oil cooler from the RX7, wish I had looked at it while I was there.

DaveP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.