Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just found out a client has a 914-6 GT!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biosurfer1
So a customer of my companies whose buildings I have been working on recently opened a new "automobile" condo/storage place in Cupertino called Club Autosport. If you get a chance, you might want to check it out, pretty amazing place...anyways I was looking into the owner more and it turns out he loves racing, especially older NASCAR vehicles, but he also owns an original 914-6 GT beer.gif

I'll get more info/pics from him next time I see him and i'm sure he has it stored at his Club, but pretty cool I actually know someone with a "Real" Porsche biggrin.gif
johnnie5
Wow! I was unsure of how many GT's were made, so I searched. This is what I came up with...

In 1970 Porsche entered a 914/6GT in the grueling 24-hours of Le Mans race. It finished 6th overall and won its class. A remarkable accomplishment. This was only one chapter in the vehicles extensive racing career which continues even to this day.

Specific history of this car:

In 1969 and 1970 the Porsche racing department built 12 Porsche 914/6 GT cars for factory entered races:

• 3 prototype and test cars

• 2 Targa Florio practice cars

• 3 Marathon de la Route cars

• 3 Rally Monte Carlo cars

• 1 RAC Rally car

Porsche also offered the 914/6 with the M471 racing option, these were built at the Porsche production line and at Bauer with the exception of some specific components. 47 of this customer 914/6 GT were built. On top of these cars, the factory offered a GT kit, that could be ordered with a regular 914/6. The kit was supposed to be fully installed by some designated Porsche dealers, it is unknown exactly how many kits were sold and how many kits were fully adapted to the cars.

From the 12 race department built cars, two cars were scrapped. The first built car did not have the fender flares and the full race package. This leaves only nine GT cars.

So if this information is correct, how many total are still alive today?

A client (now friend) of mine has a true '73 Carrera RS in his garage. Yes, I know, a tail dragger.... still impressive, none the less. It is orange and flawless. I have ridden in it a few times... very nice.

Love to see a few pics of the GT!
Gustl
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Nov 25 2009, 03:46 AM) *

... but he also owns an original 914-6 GT beer.gif

would it be possible to find out which one it is?
VIN, race history, pre-owners ...

beerchug.gif Gustl
SirAndy
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Nov 24 2009, 08:50 PM) *

how many total are still alive today?

Neither complete nor completely accurate, but it gives you an overall idea ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...vins&byGT=1

bye1.gif Andy
johnnie5
2 GT's For sale here...

http://www.finecars.cc/en/find/list/index.html?no_cache=1
SirAndy
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Nov 24 2009, 09:38 PM) *

The silver one looks nice, but it's NOT a factory GT ...
shades.gif Andy
johnnie5
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 24 2009, 09:53 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

With those production numbers, I would imagine they are few and far between.
carr914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 25 2009, 12:53 AM) *

shades.gif Andy

Neither is the Lufthansa Car

T.C.
SirAndy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 25 2009, 05:10 AM) *

I know.

But the silver car is advertised as "one of only 11 factory build GT cars" ...
shades.gif Andy
6freak
he likes NASCAR and owns a 914 ... piratenanner.gif I need to meet this man lol-2.gif
Drums66

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 25 2009, 12:53 AM) *

shades.gif Andy

T.C.

I had that feeling, before I looked, idea.gif bummer!!
biosurfer1
I will get pics, VIN and stories behind the car once I get to talk to him next.

This is only one car of an amazing collection. Mostly has old NASCAR/Indy cars that he and his fellow "hobbyists" play around with. He owns 2 side by side car "condos" at his place where he took out the wall between them and its full of rare cars.

Ah...to be rich:)
Michael N
I went to the grand opening of Club Auto Sport. Borelli had the silver conversion in his garage but about a year later it was for sale at Canepa.

Link to silver 914/6 GT conversion at Club Auto Sport
biosurfer1
conversion huh...so much for the "original" info I was given.
Maltese Falcon
sure hope that the car condo facility is fire sprinklered...it's basically an industrial CTU building with nice polished/stained concrete floors. Reggie Jackson lost his entire collection in a building similar to that. I was reading their bio on the "Buy versus Lease" on the small spaces that they are offering ($24K/ ann lease). I just don't see their appreciation scale at todays RMVs , where that little parking stall will ever reach the millions in value WTF.gif
Marty
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 25 2009, 12:51 PM) *

I know.

shades.gif Andy

Oh, please make me feel better. I had a chance, when I knew very little, to buy the tub for 25k....before it was built/restored.

Rich
carr914
But how much did Mark Allin put into restoring the Lufthansa car? Just like me and a 916, maybe we saved ourselves alot of headaches. headbang.gif headbang.gif

T.C.
carreraguy
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Nov 25 2009, 09:08 PM) *

conversion huh...so much for the "original" info I was given.

I believe that car was Ralph Borelli's. It was a 914 converted to a very nice 914/6 street/track car. Definitely not a 914/6 GT. He later sold/exchanged it to/with Bruce Canepa - last I heard Canepa was asking $65K for it, but that was more than a few months ago. Ralph liked it but decided it was too tough to drive around town - definitely more of a track car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.