Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Must do before the motor goes in?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
Kansas 914
All,

What would you like to see done before Dwayne stuffs the powerplant in the car?

SS fuel lines are already in - firewall to firewall
Shift rod is in place
Engine tin is painted - Dwayne did that for Mary
Dwayne will install the new engine bay rubber that Mary bought

1. Firewall Shift bushings
2. Brake hard and soft lines
3. Proportioning Valve
4. Wheel Bearings
5. Driveshafts - CV joints
6. Shocks
7. Calipers
8. E-brake cables
9. Drain funnels
tat2dphreak
any rear brake lines/prop valve, fuel lines in tunnel, rear shocks, calipers, rear bearings, engine tin seals, firewall bushing for the linkage..

basically the way I did it was this... if it doesn't connect TO the engine/tin, then it's a LOT easier without the engine in there. and some things are just damn near impossible with the engine in.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 25 2009, 09:38 AM) *

any rear brake lines/prop valve, fuel lines in tunnel, rear shocks, calipers, rear bearings, engine tin seals, firewall bushing for the linkage..

basically the way I did it was this... if it doesn't connect TO the engine/tin, then it's a LOT easier without the engine in there. and some things are just damn near impossible with the engine in.

Thanks Wayne,

I added your thoughts to the top thread.

Feeling better yet?

Cheers!
EdwardBlume
In the picts was the fuel pump upfront? Is it going back to stock loc? Do you have a battery? engine lid stops? drain funnels? is the wiring laid in there correctly? Is the ebrake connected?
tat2dphreak
thanks, I'm feeling much better, can still barely talk tho.

good point Rob, I assume there is going to be a new wiring harness in, that is another thing that goes in much easier without the engine in the way.

oh, and the fuel tank should be boiled by a radiator shop and the sock replaced before we put that in.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 25 2009, 11:38 AM) *

thanks, I'm feeling much better, can still barely talk tho.

good point Rob, I assume there is going to be a new wiring harness in, that is another thing that goes in much easier without the engine in the way.

oh, and the fuel tank should be boiled by a radiator shop and the sock replaced before we put that in.

The original wiring harness has already been laid in the car. The fuel pump was in the front trunk - not even in the correct front location - I would think back to stock makes sense? Two new stainless brake lines (not sure of the diameter) were laid in the tunnel.

The fuel tank is getting powder-coated and the lined with Kreem or Red-Cote. I didn't think about the sock....
Kansas 914
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 25 2009, 11:26 AM) *

In the picts was the fuel pump upfront? Is it going back to stock loc? Do you have a battery? engine lid stops? drain funnels? is the wiring laid in there correctly? Is the ebrake connected?

Ahh - e-brake cables....

Drain funnels - they are still laying around...

Keep in mind that these are all things Dan the body guy will have to do (on the clock)...
tat2dphreak
Keep in mind that these are all things Dan the body guy will have to do (on the clock)...

oh, then forget it, I was thinking the recon team or ?? before duane installs... I wasn't thinking on the clock. in this case engine tin seals are the real must, the rest we can deal with smile.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 25 2009, 12:31 PM) *

oh, then forget it, I was thinking the recon team or ?? before duane installs... I wasn't thinking on the clock. in this case engine tin seals are the real must, the rest we can deal with smile.gif

Dwayne (engine guy) may install as early as the next two weeks. That does remind me to ask if the engine tin is painted. Dan was going to do that gloss black.
rick 918-S
My concern would be the brake lines and Prop valve, all cables coming out of the tunnel. AND the shift rod in the tunnel! You can't get the shift rod in the tunnel with the engine in. Ask me how I know dry.gif The engine tin seal yes. But anything outboard of the engine itself lets leave that to the build team and save Mary the money.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.