Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How hard is it to wire the car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
My car has been having some electrical issues over the past year, and some have been tracked down and others have not. I was thinking of wiring the car completely new with my own setup. I would like to make the wiring as simple as possible, basically make the headlights, tail lights, turn signals, fuel pump, and engine turn on. We are trying to remove anything that isn't necessary in the car to make it lighter. can i wire the car and get rid of the relay board?, the car is carbed(if that makes a difference)

I was thinking of using simple SPST, SPDT, etc swtiches for the dash and wiring the car with those.

Has anyone wired up there autox cars to a more simplified version?
McMark
Extra wires? blink.gif

This is without headlights or turn signals, just brake lights.
gklinger
The late Lapuwali was working on this, and had some good thoughts on the subject. Unfortunately James passed before he could complete his project. Here's one thread.
turnaround89
that is exactly what im looking for...lapuwali put it perfectly, a minimum wiring diagram. That should get me started. thanks so much

IPB Image

one quick question....where is the starter switch located in a 914? is it on the starter itself, or located more towards the ignition switch?
SirAndy
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Nov 25 2009, 10:36 AM) *

one quick question....where is the starter switch located in a 914? is it on the starter itself, or located more towards the ignition switch?

A stock 914 does not have a "starter switch".

You run the starter using your ignition switch ...
shades.gif Andy

PS: One thing missing in the diagram above, i would recommend running a relay between the starter switch and the starter to take the load off the switch itself.
PPS: Also, in the diagram above, neither the starter circuit nor the brake lights have a fuse ...
jmill
I've wired quite a few cars myself. It's fairly easy to do without all the electronic mumbo jumbo. Wiring one circuit at a time makes things easy. Buy a whole bunch of colored wire and get silly.
turnaround89
One thing missing in the diagram above, i would recommend running a relay between the starter switch and the starter to take the load off the switch itself.

since there isn't a starter switch, just replace the starter switch with the relay in the diagram, right? that way the relay is between the ignition sw and the starter

jmill - thats what i was planning on doing, i have all winter to wire the car the way i want, so might as well take my time and have it the way i want it to look
McMark
I'd recommend building a complete wiring diagram for you car as you go. That way if you have to work on it later, or pass the car off to someone else at some point, it'll make maintenance much more simple.

You can also find spools of uncut heat shrink tubing. Putting it all in a loom is a bit of a PITA, but it looks cleaner and protects the wires from accidental damage/cuts.
dflesburg
I rebuilt my wiring harness one winter.

get a white board, color markers, diagram and magnifying glass

its work.

good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.