Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I had Carerror on the scales today.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JoeSharp
What do you think she weighed in at? I can tell you that I am very close to my goal. But I was totaly supprised at her weight. She has no mufflar, oil lines, the fuel tank is on order and there is no wire loom in the car.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Nov 25 2009, 12:49 PM) *

What do you think she weighed in at? I can tell you that I am very close to my goal. But I was totaly supprised at her weight. She has no mufflar, oil lines, the fuel tank is on order and there is no wire loom in the car.

brant
which drive line is currently installed?
TravisNeff
JoeSharp
The motor is a 78 3L 6 with CSI. I think there is some weight to lose in there somewhere.
balljoint
You cut a lot of metal out but the tubing adds some back sooo.

1554 smile.gif
iamchappy
tradisrad
I recently weighed my '70 street car with a full tank. It weighed 2080. My guess is 1500lbs.
jim_hoyland
Well, having seen all the metal you removed and all the light stuff you added, I say 1,500 lbs + or - 100 lbs

Nice milestone Joe, you are going to have one mean machine smile.gif
proto31
I'm going to guess 1,710. Do you have the rear hood on yet Joe?

Dan
proto31
Oh, and not that I need to see any pics but:

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Inquiring minds need to know...
JoeSharp
Well we have a winner. Jim Hoyland got it.

1554 With the tub level the weights on the wheels are
RF 328 LF 264
RR 466 LR 469
proto31
I am saddened that I did not win sad.gif , but happy that your car turned out so light! biggrin.gif What's with the right front weight? Seems like it needs a little adjusting...
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Nov 25 2009, 02:28 PM) *

Well we have a winner. Jim Hoyland got it.

1554 With the tub level the weights on the wheels are
RF 328 LF 264
RR 466 LR 469

Zoiks! driving.gif Light=fast!
BMXerror
QUOTE(proto31 @ Nov 25 2009, 05:48 PM) *

I am saddened that I did not win sad.gif , but happy that your car turned out so light! biggrin.gif What's with the right front weight? Seems like it needs a little adjusting...

Just guess here, but that may be to help counter-act the driver weight. Joe only weighs 64 lbs. biggrin.gif
Mark D.
JoeSharp
I SEE THE LITE
IPB Image
jd74914
They didn't work Joe sad.gif
JoeSharp
I edited it. More pics to come as I resize them.
JoeSharp
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
JoeSharp
I was moving stuff around and thats how she was dressed at this weight.
IPB Image
JoeSharp
Fully dressed, still adding stuff like the loom and the CDI box and waiting on the fuel tank.

IPB Image

IPB Image
JoeSharp
Ready for start-up today and weighs in at 1599 lbs dry.
plymouth37
Damn, that is light! Is there a pic of your front trunk cage/tubes floating around somewhere? I would like to get a better view of what you did with it.
JoeSharp
Sure but there is no cage Dana, they add to much weight to the car. You can't Swiss without a smile.

Click to view attachment
SLITS
Exactly what were you lubing with the Velevta? bootyshake.gif

av-943.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 23 2010, 09:33 AM) *

av-943.gif

agree.gif Who cut the cheese! lol-2.gif

BTW: Cool!
JoeSharp
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 23 2010, 09:33 AM) *

av-943.gif

Apperently the warm-up regulator. As it was not allowing fuel to pass.
JoeSharp
Total weight 1629 lbs with a full tank of fuel.

Click to view attachment
ahdoman
...but what does it weigh with you in the car?
Allan
Nice Joe, just don't run it at Lone Pine. Those winds will pick that thing up off the ground... biggrin.gif
Chris Pincetich
Way to go Joe, 2010 should be a fun year with the Carerror. Good luck gettin it fired up beerchug.gif
J P Stein
That is about 100lbs lighter than the shitbox, Joe.
You've gone some places that I didn't and I went some places that you didn't.
Wanna race? biggrin.gif
JoeSharp
Thanks Chris.
JP, 100 lbs is a lot. You were some of my insperation on the car. If you found some spaces that I can cut-out I want to know about them. And as far as "Wana race?" Why yes. We're going to try to be at the Shoot-out. I hope to be able to read cones by then, I know that I'm on a steep learning curve. I've only done 1 A/X. My first A/X in Carerror should be on the 20th of Feb.

Click to view attachment

Can you say Swiss with-out a smile?
JoeSharp
JP, I just thought of this but I always thought a cage cost 100 lbs. But you guys do DE's. This car is A/X only and to quote Paul "It only has to be strong enough to take a hit from a cone."
SLITS
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jan 25 2010, 09:44 AM) *

JP, I just thought of this but I always thought a cage cost 100 lbs. But you guys do DE's. This car is A/X only and to quote Paul "It only has to be strong enough to take a hit from a cone."

I take it you have a hard head in case of a rollover.

Did you and the Kraut ever figure out the CIS system? You played Saturday, not Sunday as you said.
pete-stevers
Joe ...i was thinking
that 3.0 (even in stock form) is going to twist that thing up accelerating out of corners...
or do you have longs support?
J P Stein
Joe:
I didn't cut out much sheet metal....not nearly as much as you. Nearly all the areas you removed around the tires & trunks are intact on the box. Sticky tires pick up everything on God's great earth then throw it off at speed. You may end up carrying a few cones inside your front trunk...... biggrin.gif
The shitbox is strictly an AX car. The cage is for chassis stiffness, the roll hoop
is for the SCCA Mod/Prepared classes. A roll hoop is required there but, near as I can tell, not for PCA.
I probably have 80-90 pounds of tubing/doubler plates on the car. If I was to do it again, I could use thinner wall tubing and loose 20-30 lbs....live & learn.
Britain Smith
Hey Joe, do you have an estimate on how much weight you cut out with all the sheetmetal pieces in the front and rear trunks?

-Britain
Chris Pincetich
If your ribs and joints can take it, jam over to a kart racing track and jump in the mix for some valuable seat time. I spent an afternoon reading racin driving techniques then applied them in the carts and it went a long way. I have a hard time focusing during an AX in the 914, because after every unusual noise I am afraid something broke and I should pull over and fix it. huh.gif laugh.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jan 25 2010, 01:43 PM) *

If your ribs and joints can take it, jam over to a kart racing track and jump in the mix for some valuable seat time. I spent an afternoon reading racin driving techniques then applied them in the carts and it went a long way. I have a hard time focusing during an AX in the 914, because after every unusual noise I am afraid something broke and I should pull over and fix it. huh.gif laugh.gif

Heh.....with the Webers screaming like the hounds of hell on the hunt.....bout a foot from my haid, I don't hear nuthin' else. The good news is nuthin' broke when I owned it. Course it broke a CV the first time out after I sold it. biggrin.gif
JoeSharp
Britian: I kinda looked at it like a plus or minus thing. I tried to take out more than I put back in. In the front trunk I'm a little behind because of the D-Lee tow bar mounted to the front supension front pick-up points. But the fuel tank helps. I lost alot in the doors. They are nothing more than the skin and a lip no taller than 3/8th inch anywhere. I put a 1 inch square tube at the top of the door and welded the skin in. In the rear trunk I'm probably a little behind as the motor mount we used is really heavy but much closer to the CG.
Now that I think about it all of the seam sealer and the tar only weighed 13 pounds. I cut off all the metal tabs on the body. I believe it was how I striped the tub. I cut everything off the tub that did not support the suppension. If a pannel had a lip on it I cut out the middle.
Cars that I have weighed:

Beauty 2206
NICE 914 1997
Suzie 1911 Howard's car.
AKA VW 1888 (Subie/mid raditor)
Carerror 1629

Click to view attachment
Britain Smith
It is hard to believe that I am at about 1700lbs with a full cage. I wonder what I would be at if I did as much cutting as you did.

-Britain
JoeSharp
The whole front trunk is probably worth 5 or 7 the rear firewall and trunk are probably worth 10 to 12. If you cut out what I have I think your car will be wet and dirty.
sean_v8_914
nice work. that is lean.
sean_v8_914
the 10jereen's diet was also shitbox inspired from our trip to the shootout. i think we are about 1650
J P Stein
It is nice that the shitbox "inspired" you fellas...you are too kind.....also good that you've made yours lighter. I've wrote this before, but to repeat, the Shitbox was developed for a very rough home venue. It's not as stiffly sprung, low, or light as one might want, but it is strong. It's been bouncing around that shithole venue for 10 years now....with 2 drivers per event.....with only a couple small cracks in the chassis. There is not a venue around here that is anywhere near as smooth as Marina. I'm not making excuses, just telling you why it is a touch portly. A car that don't break gets ya butt time.

A 4 pooper should be at least 100lbs lighter than a six.

BTW, Joe, you might get away with no aux oil cooler but I wouldn't bet that way. biggrin.gif
Britain Smith
Hey Joe, I got my car on the scales this weekend and with 3gallons of gas I came in at 1689lbs.

IPB Image

IPB Image

-Britain
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.