Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to find what rims would fit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bigvag
I just picked up a rolling chassis. Already has flared fenders and a 5 lug conversion. My ? is how do I find out what offset rims I would need to fit so they dont go past the flares and dont sit to far in?
jt914-6
Are the flares fiberglass or steel? I have steel flares and I'm using 7 X 15" in front with spacers and 8 X 15" in the rear with one spacer. I don't think I could get 9" wheels to fit in the rear. Fiberglass flares can use 9" wheels in the rear. Check this out too:

Click to view attachment
ellisor3
You can get 9" in the rear but you will need custom offset. I mocked my car up somewhat caveman but the end result was 17s w/ 7s in the front and 9s in the back.
bigvag
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Nov 25 2009, 01:24 PM) *

Are the flares fiberglass or steel? I have steel flares and I'm using 7 X 15" in front with spacers and 8 X 15" in the rear with one spacer. I don't think I could get 9" wheels to fit in the rear. Fiberglass flares can use 9" wheels in the rear. Check this out too:

Click to view attachment

They are fiberglass I wish they were steel. I'm thinking about replacing them, I don't like the way they are flat where they flare out to. I want it to curve more.
bigvag
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Nov 25 2009, 02:30 PM) *

You can get 9" in the rear but you will need custom offset. I mocked my car up somewhat caveman but the end result was 17s w/ 7s in the front and 9s in the back.

Can you explain how you figured that out. Do I need to measure from the wheel hub to the furthest point of the flare.
jt914-6
If you replace them with steel, the widest you could hope for are 8's in the rear. I wish I could get 9's under mine. I probably could if I wanted to roll the fender, but I don't...
carr914
welcome.png Nothing wrong with F/G Flares, especially if they were installed correctly. And the F/G flares are the same shape as the Steel ones unless you've got some customs -

which if it does - thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
ellisor3
quote name='bigvag' date='Nov 25 2009, 06:10 PM' post='1242828']
[quote name='ellisor3' post='1242817' date='Nov 25 2009, 02:30 PM']
[/quote]
Can you explain how you figured that out. Do I need to measure from the wheel hub to the furthest point of the flare.
[/quote]

See if this helps:

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/wheelspacing.shtml
johnnie5
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 25 2009, 03:52 PM) *

agree.gif Show us your flares...
bigvag
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Nov 25 2009, 06:00 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 25 2009, 03:52 PM) *

agree.gif Show us your flares...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
I found these nice rust holes. The person before used about 15lbs of bondo to fill them in.
bigvag
Has anyone ever tried using fiberglass to repair the floor pans.
johannes
QUOTE(bigvag @ Nov 28 2009, 06:45 AM) *

Has anyone ever tried using fiberglass to repair the floor pans.

ar15.gif
burton73
What do you want to do for power in your car? The rust should be cut out and new steel welded in. In California we trash cars with no rust in that area but may have been in a frontal crash. You can get the parts and weld them in. There are new parts stamped and available as well.

Bob
welcome.png welder.gif
bigvag
QUOTE(burton73 @ Nov 28 2009, 10:11 AM) *

What do you want to do for power in your car? The rust should be cut out and new steel welded in. In California we trash cars with no rust in that area but may have been in a frontal crash. You can get the parts and weld them in. There are new parts stamped and available as well.

Bob
welcome.png welder.gif

Yeah I plan on welding sheet metal for the hell hole and longs but just for a little section of the floor plans I was just wondering if fiberglass would work.
burton73
There is nothing for the resin to really stick well to. By the time you clean it up you should just weld metal in. Do you have the second seat hinge?

That would be the right way to do it.

To glass it clean it up with a wire brush and paint it with rust encapsulate and then lay glass and resin. Put cardboard on the outside as a mold and hold it there with duct tape. I would paint the cardboard with wax so the fiberglass does not stick to it. If it peals up you can use JB Weld to stick it back down. JB Weld sticks better to metal than Polyester does.

People have done everything to 914’s

Bob

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.