Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil pressure gauge question- six conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
My six conversion ( 3.0 ) is at the shop getting the wiring finalized. My mechanic called me today and asked if I wanted him to run wiring for a oil pressure gauge. I have a center console with a clock and I said yes I'll replace the clock with a oil pressure gauge. So does it matter what brand/style of gauge ? The 911 engine has a pressure sensor as OEM but do I have to buy a VDO brand so it reads correctly ? Or will any electric gauge work ? And does anyone know the size of the clock ? I'm guessing 2 inch or 2 1/4 ? Car is a 1975 if that matters. Thanks
jt914-6
I would suggest a VDO gauge. It would read the pressure closer than another brand. You'll also need to get if you don't have it a dual sending unit....

Click to view attachment
rfuerst911sc
Any details on that gauge ? Looks like what I need.
markb
Make sure the sender & gauge are a matched pair.
jt914-6
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Nov 25 2009, 04:56 PM) *

Any details on that gauge ? Looks like what I need.

Here you go...Shop around and be sure you get the gauge for a double sender and get a double sender....so you keep your idiot light....You'll need a 0-150lb for a six.

http://www.automotion.com/product.asp?pf%5...;dept%5Fid=5130
ahdoman
You shouldn't need a double sender. The idiot light ties to the sender at the back, top right side of the engine (clutch side). Temperature comes from the front right hand side of engine and pressure comes from the sender in the block fitting right above the temp gauge. If possible get your mechanic to use the right color coded wire. I think this is the standard for most older Porsches;

GN/WH = Oil Idiot Light
GN/RD = Oil Pressure Gauge
GN/BK = Oil Temp

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(markb @ Nov 25 2009, 03:12 PM) *

Mark do you sell a VDO gauge and sending unit for my 3.0? It's a 1978 motor.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Nov 25 2009, 05:41 PM) *

You shouldn't need a double sender. The idiot light ties to the sender at the back, top right side of the engine (clutch side). Temperature comes from the front right hand side of engine and pressure comes from the sender in the block fitting right above the temp gauge. If possible get your mechanic to use the right color coded wire. I think this is the standard for most older Porsches;

GN/WH = Oil Idiot Light
GN/RD = Oil Pressure Gauge
GN/BK = Oil Temp

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is VERY helpful thank you. beerchug.gif
jt914-6
Some engines are set up differently. Mine has only the oil temp sender near the fan and the pressure sender (dual) is near the flywheel.....Either way you'll need to run a seperate wire for the pressure gauge.
ahdoman
I've been told (by a 911 engine builder) that the sender on the rear of the engine is not a good place for measuring pressure because it shows pressure at the thermostat which is the start of the oil system. Showing pressure is more critical at the front of the engine because that's the passage that feeds everything at the end of circulation. If you have a passage blocked up there you would never know it until you siezed something and that's where the smallest passages are.
marks914
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Nov 26 2009, 09:16 AM) *

QUOTE(markb @ Nov 25 2009, 03:12 PM) *

Mark do you sell a VDO gauge and sending unit for my 3.0? It's a 1978 motor.

We have VDO gauges, senders, modules, whatever you need.
We just added our combo gauge module to our store. $99.99 with matching sender.
Let me know which way you want to go and we can take care of it. We carry VDO international, cockpit, vision.
Mark

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.