Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank (rusty) blues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Marlow
I've been sucking up the knowledge of this board for some time now and only posted a few times. Now I need help . . .

I had a fuel leak last fall before I parked the car for winter and am finally getting to fixing it. I decided to pull the gas tank and refresh all the fuel lines under there. My 914 is a 74 but has had the fuel pump relocated to the front. My gas tank is quite rusty inside. As I drained the gas out of the tank I watched the silt build in the bottom of my gas can. I know I can have it sealed by a radiator shop or do the Por 15 sealer kit -- but I have a spare tank with very very minor rust inside. Should I just go with the spare or would it be worthwhile to go ahead and get the rusty tank fixed (or seal the spare one)? Also, my tank has the center divider (baffle) so how well does the sealer work getting around that?

Secondly I'm having trouble with the fuel filter. Since my fuel pump's been relocated to the front I don't which filter it's supposed to take. It had the filter with 7mm ends but the local parts shop only has the filter with different sized ends 9mm/7mm (looks a lot bigger than 9mm). But, the filter shows the 9mm end as the Outlet not the inlet. My tank uses 9mm to the inlet. What gives? Of course I can't do 9mm hose from tank to 7mm inlet on filter, that'll surely leak. What to do?? I don't know how the PO got the 9mm line to seal on the 7mm filter inlet.

And lastly, is the inlet screen in the fuel tank removable/replaceable? I can't get by big gorilla hands in there . . . time to convince the fiance that the Porsche needs her!! BTW she enjoys the car too (as a passenger) but not as much as I do.

Sorry so damn long for one of my first posts . . .
Thanks in advance,
Joel

74 2.0L
Brad Roberts
Hey Joel clap56.gif

Thanks for posting.

You are correct about your theory of NO sealant going past that divider. I say run the other tank. The rust problem is normally on the outside of the tank where the tank sits on the 3 pads. They hold water and rust the tank from the outside/in.

The only way to get the sock off is to pull the fittings from the bottom of the tank (unscrew them). Problem is: the replacement sealing washers are very difficult to come by.

I wash the tanks out with HOT water and let them air dry for a few hours before installing them. Rinse it out several 100 times..

B
Marlow
Thanks Brad,

I'll run the spare tank I have. Oops, I already pulled the fittings off the bottom of the tank and noticed those flat washers. Would o-rings work to replace them? Where would I be able to find the flat washers? How about copper crush washers of the same size? Are the screens available or do I just clean the one I have?

I think I found my solution for the filter -- buy a brass reducer to go from the 9mm from tank to 7mm to pump and use the 7mm to 7mm filter. That's the only thing I can come up with. It adds two extra hose clamps and two more points of leakage. I think I recall AA selling the correct reducer hose but I think I'd rather manufacture it myself than buy anything from them.

Joel
914werke
I did this last yr and for good measure took it to the rad. shop. Had it boiled out , no liner and just repainted the outside and keep it full of gas. NO issues. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.