Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: Oil Cooler Kit w/ Empi Adjustable Electrical Fan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
edrotol
Click to view attachmentTwo parts to this sale: (1), Engine Oil Cooler Kit, tested to withstand +500 lbs psi, includes oil filter adapter, PA3614 oil filter, 3 lines with fittings, 4 other fittings and hardware, and (2) Empi brand #33-6759 adjustable electrical fan, thermostat factory preset at 160 degrees, adjustable range from 150-240, instructions and hardware.
The set goes together and I would rather not sell separately even though some of you like your own standard hoses, clamps, and braided lines, etc.
I do not remember where i got these and I have no idea what they are worth now but they are essentially and guaranteed to be new and never installed - all of the pieces are such.
Let's start with $250 shipped.
bdstone914

I have worked for an oil cooler company for many years and would like to add a few comments. That style cooler will not take 500 PSI. Test pressures are in the 175-200 PSI range. They will deform and burst in the 400 PSI range. We have conducted tests to verify that. Not that they need to as you should never have oil pressures anywhere that pressure.

The cooler is a design the dates back before WWII and was used on aircraft where air speeds provided adaquate flow for oil cooling. It is a stacked plate cooler with no fins and cooling is limited from lack of air side surface area.

The fan control appears to be a EMPI copy of one that I developed for our company many years ago. The probe is a 3/16" diameter tube that requires good cooler contact to function consistantly. How does that probe install in that cooler? If the cooler is in a good airflow stream the activation temperatures will vary greatly as the probe will be cooled by the airflow. We use a nylon rod and button to create a heat trap around the probe.

If the cooler were in a good airflow path near the engine fan it would probably work better than it would with the fan.

Anyone installing an oil cooler should first have an oil temperature gauge and know how much cooling they need and how much the oil cooler provided.

Dodge sell a unit like for transmission cooling and it only reduces temperatures about 10 degrees.

Bruce
edrotol
Thanks. Anyone interested please take heed. BTW the 500 psi stuff came from the instructions so I am just quoting - sounds like a marketing tool based on your comment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.