Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric Clarification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
My caution light knob glows a little when the headlights are tuned on. I thought this was an indication of a short. But in my winter project thread, I saw this:

Zach, correct me if I'm wrong; but shouldn't the caution light knob illuminate dimly when the light switch is activated?

So now I am confused. Can anyone clear this up for me? Am I chasing a short, or am I chasing a ghost?

Zach
Millerwelds
Mine has a slight glow too (not that answers your question, but at least you are not alone). drunk.gif
detoxcowboy
Not sure what you mean by caution light? Alternator dummy light? Should not glow unless there is a problem w/ alt. charging ect.. I doubt you have a short but maybe an excessive current draw or failing alt., voltage regulator ect. Mine never glows it di lite up like christmas when my alt. failed like a screeming banchee..
Millerwelds
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Nov 25 2009, 05:52 PM) *

Not sure what you mean by caution light? Alternator dummy light? Should not glow unless there is a problem w/ alt. charging ect.. I doubt you have a short but maybe an excessive current draw or failing alt., voltage regulator ect. Mine never glows it di lite up like christmas when my alt. failed like a screeming banchee..

In my case I mean the hazard light switch itself.
VaccaRabite
Yes, the hazard light switch itself.
Turn on the head lights, and it glows slightly.

This has nothing to do with dash idiot lights.

Zach
bobhasissues
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 25 2009, 05:45 PM) *

My caution light knob glows a little when the headlights are tuned on. I thought this was an indication of a short. But in my winter project thread, I saw this:

Zach, correct me if I'm wrong; but shouldn't the caution light knob illuminate dimly when the light switch is activated?

So now I am confused. Can anyone clear this up for me? Am I chasing a short, or am I chasing a ghost?

Zach

Mine does the same thing, I think you are chasing a ghost
ws91420
The hazard light switch has a bulb in it for illumination. The only switch on the dash that has a bulb actually in the switch. No short it normal.
ws91420
Also a fog light switch may do this also I think.
detoxcowboy
caution light? i am sorry about the alt. light info. yes it lights up with head light on, fog light lights up when its pulled, same for defrost..
SGB
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Nov 25 2009, 09:37 PM) *

caution light? i am sorry about the alt. light info. yes it lights up with head light on, fog light lights up when its pulled, same for defrost..

Yep- I think USA law mandated ILLUMINATED caution switches.
jim_hoyland
Mine has always done that, don't know why?
VaccaRabite
Well, now I know, and IPB Image

I think I am just going to check this one off my list as "complete"

Zach
iamchappy
Hazard, fog, and rear window defog all illuminate.
SirAndy
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Nov 26 2009, 08:13 AM) *

Hazard, fog, and rear window defog all illuminate.

agree.gif
Spoke
According to the schematics, when the flasher is off and the lights are on, the hazard switch light will light gently. There is a resistor in series with the lamp to dim it when the flasher is off and the lights on.

Also the flasher lamp is fed from the dashboard dimmer knob on the light switch so the lamp should also dim with the rest of the dashboard lights.

When pulled, the hazard switch light is connected directly to the turn signal lamps and will flash between full brightness and full off. The resistor mentioned before is not in this circuit.
VaccaRabite
I have a dimmer switch for my dash board lights?

How long have I had this car, and I did not know that?

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 27 2009, 05:42 AM) *

I have a dimmer switch for my dash board lights?
How long have I had this car, and I did not know that?

Yes. The light switch knob rotates. Left means darker, right means less dark.

Note that i did not use the word "bright".
shades.gif Andy
Dr Evil
Left means OFF with your LED lights wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.