Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To Rain tray or not to Rain tray
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blonde914
We just put a rain tray back on the car. I don't think it is needed, but my husband thinks it can only help keep the water out of the engine bay. She has gotten rained on when I have been out and it started to rain, but I don't drive her if the weather may be bad. Do you have yours on?

Sherry driving-girl.gif
iiibdsiil
I don't have mine. Occasionally when it rains, it won't start, but I think that the DME relay is bad on mine.

Keep in mind we have way different motors.

- Brett Smith
Chris H.
Mine is in. Unless you have an issue with the car running hot I would leave it in, or if there is NO WAY it would get rained on again. The rain tray keeps water and battery acid from washing down into the midsection. It also protects the electrical stuff. You can always get a surprise rain around here.
Andyrew
I took mine off. Just because rainy season is over. It hasnt rained for at least 3 weeks.. When the rain kicks back in, I'll put the tray back in.. Only takes 5 mins.

Andrew
ruddyboys
Even with the rain tray in, wouldn't the rain go thru the side mesh panels that aren't protected and onto the battery confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(blonde914 @ Mar 18 2004, 03:52 PM)
Do you have yours on?

not only did i take it off, i added even more holes! laugh.gif

my car is parked outside all the time, i has been sitting through all the winter storms (ask anyone from CA, when it rains here, it pours!)

never had any starting or running issues.
if you leave it off just make sure the drain holes down on the two side frame rails are not plugged up with leaves and such ...

Andy

IPB Image
Chris H.
QUOTE(ruddyboys @ Mar 18 2004, 06:02 PM)
Even with the rain tray in, wouldn't the rain go thru the side mesh panels that aren't protected and onto the battery confused24.gif

Good point. You can't keep all the rain out, but it does make a big difference.
Rusty
Zoiks!

Save your battery tray and longitudinals... Get rid of that Autozone battery and get a sealed Optima-type!

-Rusty smoke.gif

P.S. I've been out of the loop for a few days.. trying to catch up today.
TheCabinetmaker
Nice to hear from ya Rusty. Carry on. Stay safe, please.
STL914
While on the topic of rain trays, can a tray from a 74 be retro-fitted to a 72?
GaroldShaffer
Hey Sherry, is that a rear trunk release above the relay board cover? Do you have one of the porsche reflectors one the back?

"edit" - I kept my rain tray on. Why not?
John
I don't have mine. Occasionally when it rains, it won't start, but I think that the DME relay is bad on mine.

If you use the original airbox with that 3.2 there is NO WAY for you to use the drip tray. That is a mute point.

I keep my street car tray in place. The race car (3.2L Carrera Engine) doesn't have one and it does get wet when it rains.

If you are sure that your drain holes are not clogged with leaves or other crap (under the battery and under the relay board) and the water that gets or could get in there will drain, I wouldn't worry that much about it. I like mine as it keeps the top of my engine cleaner and it definaltely keeps my hoses from cracking in the ultra-violet rays of the sun. (This could be more important than the rain thing especially with some of the more rare rubber FI parts found on top of the motor.)

It's up to you, but I like mine. If you do remove it, it is of great value on E-Gay.
Steve
The factory six and 916 did not have a rain tray.
If your running a six there is no room for it anyway.
If your running a four its better than nothing and it makes the car look original.
But take everyones advice buy an Optima battery, the rain tray does not protect the battery.

Steve
nebreitling
on in the winter (rain)

off in the summer (heat -- if it's really hot outside, it seems to make my '75 runs a few degrees cooler with it off).
blonde914
OK
1) Rusty, what is a sealed Optima-type battery, Where do you get them?

2) itsa914, if you are talking about the little knobby inside the truck that you have to pull forward; yes it releases the rear trunk. What do you mean by the porsche reflector. Is that the red Porsche sign just above the back bumper?

Sherry driving-girl.gif
blonde914
This red reflector?
seanery
blonde,
the optima is a brand, but it is a sealed batter (that can't leak) and therefore eliminates one of the major causes of rot in our cars. These are a gel-type batter that can put up with a lot of abuse. That's why lots of race cars use them. You will pay a premium for this batter, but not as much as you used to, they are sold at most Interstate batter dealers.
GaroldShaffer
This red reflector?

Yep that's what I was talking about. Do you have a
electric trunk release or just the cable?

- Garold
Andyrew
Looking at that battery it doesnt look in there very well.. Is there a strap of some sort on it? Something holding the battery down?

Cool rear trunk release.

Andrew
blonde914
He said it is straped in there, i'm not sure how. That is the only way to release the hood. PO did it. Is that what the button on the dash was originally for; a trunk release? That would be so much easier than opening the engine lid to get into the trunk. It is the same release that we use inside the sar for the engine.
Sherry driving-girl.gif
GaroldShaffer
Is that what the button on the dash was originally for; a trunk release?

It may have been electric at one time. Maybe it
still is and this cable setup is a back up? My old
73 had the electric release but I always had to mess
with the rear trunk to get it to pop open. If I would
have kept the car, I would have dumped the electric
and used the cable setup.

I like how your's is setup. I am sure it can be a pain.

- Garold
p914
No tray. I don't drive it in bad weather anywho. smilie_flagge6.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.