Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ground Point Options?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I have a MSD ignition and a few other electrical items mounted in the trunk. I have had many issues in the past with substandard grounding with my car. So now I am looking for a good grounding point for these items- preferably in the trunk. Previously, I had all of these items grounded to the engine case. I would prefer not to do this- mainly for cosmetic reasons.

Does anybody have any experience with drilling a hole in the trunk, placing a bolt through and using this as a ground (or something similar)? Not sure how well this would work but it would be convenient. My other option is to run the wires down to where the transmission ground strap connects to the body. I would prefer not to do this.

Thanks,
Steve beer.gif

ahdoman
The trunk should be fine since it's grounded to the tranny. Just make sure to clean all the paint off the grounding surface and clean your connectors if you are reusing old ones.
McMark
To ground the MSD, you can use one of the fasteners that hold the MSD to the trunk. Any chassis metal should be good ground.
underthetire
You can alsose the external star lock washers to help. They bite in just a little. My battery is grounded in the trunk with no real problems.
ME733
popcorn[1].gif ...A good ground to the engine block , to me, has always been a very good idea. the ground will ensure that your spark plugs, and (whatever) spark system will function as efficiently as possable. The pitfalls of everything else includes oily connections from the transmission to engine etc etc...use a crankcase through-bolt at the rear of the engine, or bottom of the engine. having TWO grounds never hurts eighter. Just peridocally check and clean........for your consideration. popcorn[1].gif
r_towle
Use a nice grommet and drill a hole into the engine bay.
Ground it to the battery.

Rich
tornik550
I forgot to mention one other part- my battery is in the front trunk.
McMark
Doesn't matter where your battery is. The chassis metal is good ground as long as your negative battery cable is connected well.
tornik550
I thought that what he meant was that I should run a line directly to the battery in the engine bay which would be a pain with my setup since the battery is up front.

I did drill a hole in trunk and placed a small bolt through the hole. I sanded the body around the hole to ensure a good connection. Everything seems to work just fine.

Thanks for everyones help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.