Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wires by shifter. installing center console. which wires are for what?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
x98boardwell
Hello,

Before I start with my question, Happy Thansksgiving!

I have included a picture below of the wires in question. I am in the process of adding a center console and I would like to find out which wires are for what and where they can be found in the engine compartment (are they behind the firewall mat??) so that I can connect accordingly?

Also, I have a temp combo gage in my car already in the dash so I plan on putting volt gage, oil pressure gage, and then not sure... any recommendations? I have no interest in adding a clock.

Thanks for the help,
Bryan
jt914-6
Hope this helps....

Click to view attachment

type47
QUOTE(x98boardwell @ Nov 26 2009, 11:54 AM) *

Also, I have a temp combo gage in my car already in the dash so I plan on putting volt gage, oil pressure gage, and then not sure... any recommendations? I have no interest in adding a clock.

cylinder head temperature gauge
x98boardwell
The drawing does seem to help a little but it doesn't match my 1975 car from what I have compared to the picture. Does someone have directions on what the wires are for by color and where to find the other ends in the engine compartment?

Thanks,
Bryan
jt914-6
This is for a '74, but should be the same. Y is the clock, above that is G14 the voltmeter, and above that is G9 the oil temp. gauge.....

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Brown wires == ground. Always. (Unless some knucklehead has been re-wiring stuff.) Hook up to brown wires in center console harness.
Grey wires == gauge illumination. They hook up to black/blue wires in the center console harness.
Green/black wire == oil temp sender wire. Goes to right-front corner of engine bay, connects to wire across front of engine to "taco plate". Hooks to green/black wire in center console harness.
Red/white wire == switched power. Goes to somewhere up in the dash, probably to the fuse panel. Connects to red/white wire in center console harness.
Black wire == unswitched power. Don't remember where it comes from; possibly fuse panel. Connects to black wire in center console harness.

If you already have the oil temp gauge in your combo gauge, then the green/black wire is probably already being used. You may have to run new wires for your new gauges.

--DD
x98boardwell
Guys, thanks for the help. Regarding Dave's comment on the combo gauge, if the wire is not connected to something now in the photo above then the other end is most likely free as well and can be used for something else. They must have ran a new wire for the combo temp gage or maybe the cars come with them and some are used and some are not kind of like my console wires.

Question, would it be worth while to get a center console wiring harness as well or just make some new wires? Are they easy to find?

Bryan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.