Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
like the way it fits and has in and out on one side.

anyone?
porsche735
If you want it you can buy my car....LOL

It is a modified RX-7 oil cooler that has had AN-12 fittings welded to it. Works very well. Fits just perfect...

We cut holes in the space for the steering rack to vent the air...

Chris
machina
your ad says its a mocal, any idea the part number?

thanks,
dr
porsche735
Not sure. It has Mocal printed on it and I have the Mocal sandwitch plate thermostat. I bought it off eBay a while back and the guy had it on his 911.

Chris
Brad Roberts
Fluidyne makes one almost identical to Chris'

B
machina
brad, do you know if they can put inlet and outlet on the same side?

this one you like has one on each side.

thanks,
dr
porsche735
http://www.fluidyne.com/pl_theoc.html

DB30417 is close 15"x6"x3"

Chris

p.s. Or look on eBay for modified RX-7 oil coolers....;-)
Mark Henry
That looks a lot like the one have and was thinking of using. I haven't got a clue what it's off of...anyone?

It's 2" X 5-3/4" X 22"

I would have to bend the sheet metal like on chris' teen to make it fit.
Mark Henry
What do ya'll think...the price was right, it was free!

CU of the in/out side
Synthesis,

Looks a heck of a lot like the one that Patrick Motorsports sells. The outlet is 12AN, but i use a step down for my 10AN lines to my big four. Nice unit, but runs in the plus $400 range. Fits PERFECT for the standard 914/6 gt replica bumper opening.
RON S.
What you have Mark is an early Mazda rx-7 oil cooler.
That type was used from 79-85.
Later ones,from 86-91 are the same unit but the only difference is that one line comes in the side of the end tank.
I have several,from both styles and usually look for the later ones in junkyards.I've bought'em mostly for 10-20 bucks.
I get later ones,because of this reason.Both are mounted under the radiators of most RX-7's.just up the hood and look,either it'll have one or not,ya got a 50-50 shot.The early ones are mounted wide open to the road,nothing to protect them from sand and rocks.Consequently the early ones are packed with dirt,rocks,and the bottom row of cooling fins get rusted out from road water.
The later cars had a plastic shroud installed to protect the cooler,hence they tend to have less damage to them after 10 or 15 years in the car.
I'll take some photo's over the weekend of the unit I have in my 6'r.It is MUCH modified,seeing as I'm running -16 lines to feed it.
on mine,I cut the end tank of,then flanged it so it could be taken apart for cleaning periodically.

Ron
RON S.
Here are some pics of the mazda unit I've chose to try out.
RON S.
NEXT 1
RON S.
RON S.
I had the flanges waterjetted,then tig'd on,then milled flat.
RON S.
Previous pic is of a framing pc I drew on cad then lasercut to fit under car,when I spotwelded it in place,it significantly stiffened the front trunk floorpan.
This shot is an early prototype I had laying around.
East coaster
Ron, Did you do away with the internal thermostat?? I have the same cooler and was considering using it for my 3.6. Are you using a fan of any sort??
RON S.
this is the louvered pc I laser cut
RON S.
This shot should show car bottom closed up
RON S.
internal thermostat was removed,it is a big restriction to oil flow.
So now you wanna fan pic hey!
RON S.
This shot should be an overhead w/cooler in it's framing.It is all easily removable.
East coaster
Cool !! I can't wait for you to run this thing so I can see if it works!

I truly appreciate someone else being one step ahead of me on this project! pray.gif

Most cooler installs I've seen do not include fans, but with a 3.6 I'm not comfortable relying on ambient air flow. I feel it would have to have fans. Speaking of fans, are there now three PCs somewhere in the world that are over heating?? wink.gif
RON S.
oil cooler mounted with cap.
RON S.
Those fans are 100cfm units I got from an industrial supply house.
10buck apiece if I recall.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.