Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Internal Case Cleaning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
damnfiknow
Have a 1.8 that has been setting for some time and draining the case gave up some pretty thick gupe. Stripped down and on engine stand now. What would be best for pouring in and "shaking around". Don't want to removed heads and split case. Thanks
r_towle
kerosene, home heating fuel, or diesel
Dr Evil
What about ATF? I hear that is ok for a short time to clean it out.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 26 2009, 09:26 PM) *

That is actually a trick my dad taught me. ATF is just very detergent oil. He would add a quart just before the oil change interval and then drain it with the rest of the oil at the change.
r_towle
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 27 2009, 12:26 AM) *

When the motor runs, yes.
You can get it hot enough to clean and drain.

On a stand...you would have a hell of a time getting all the ATF out after.
When you fill (overfill) a motor with diesel or kerosene....sometimes it breaks free the motor...

Kero etc all have oil mixed in...

Rich
ME733
popcorn[1].gif ...ARE you trying to clean up/inside the engine...before disassembly?...just curious.... popcorn[1].gif
damnfiknow
QUOTE(ME733 @ Nov 27 2009, 07:04 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif ...ARE you trying to clean up/inside the engine...before disassembly?...just curious.... popcorn[1].gif

No, I'm hoping to get out the thicker goop and then sew it back up and get some driving around time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.