Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT flare / flare rockers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
I am looking for some pictures of how the flare and the rocker joins together. Like to be able to see the wheel opening and the flare / rocker transition. I need to know how it's meant to look.
I'm going have to get a set of flared rockers, install them correctly and re-do my flares so it looks right..

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving !!!
ConeDodger
I would tell you but you would just piss off your neighbors and that wouldn't be right. biggrin.gif

Seriously, I don't know but will be watching this thread to fine out!
Justinp71
I dont have any pics, but your flares are supposed to be installed to the correct dimensions from the factor(they're floating around this website on a scanned sheet of paper). And then the rockers should be installed so they line up to the flares in the front and back direction of the car ( in some cases the rocker may need to be lengthened or shortened as desired, I know my rockers aren't exactly the same length left to right). As for the left and right position of the rocker they are suppose to inset of the door a little bit.

I'm in the process of installing my rockers right now, if I get some good pics I'll post them.
Jeff Hail
Have at it
r_towle
The reality is you should hang the flared rockers, then line up the fenders to match the rockers.
I suspect that unless your lucky as hell, you will have to cut the rocker unit and make it longer or shorter so the flared end meets up with your fender perfectly.
I would not touch the fender...why ruin any good paint. Just adjust the length of the rocker...do the patch/bodywork and paint on jus the rocker...then mount it.

Both sides will be different...unless you are super lucky.

rich
drive-ability

I can't worry about the paint, at this point getting the flares and rockers to look right. My though is to fit the rockers and cut into the flares where needed to reform them.
Having a picture of how they look might help, most all pictures don't isolate that area and are hard to see any detail. Its likely going to be obvious when I get the rockers but it would be good to have pictures just the same. smile.gif
jmill
Fiberglass is cheap and easy. You'd save yourself a huge amount of time and money just modifying the rocker to transition smooth. That way the only paint work you have is rattle canning the rockers.

If you got the rockers from AA make sure you got the good ones. Their first batch sucked. The second batch was much better. The first batch was thin and had a smooth finish. The second batch was thicker, fit nice and had an undercoat like finish.
PRS914-6
Be prepared to do a bunch of work on the bottom of the flare. In my opinion it is best to move the rocker out flush with the bottom of the door and not inset them like original. The reason is that it's impossible to get a smooth line to match the flare out without moving them outwards. Picture to show what I mean.....

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
drive-ability
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Nov 27 2009, 12:53 PM) *

Be prepared to do a bunch of work on the bottom of the flare. In my opinion it is best to move the rocker out flush with the bottom of the door and not inset them like original. The reason is that it's impossible to get a smooth line to match the flare out without moving them outwards. Picture to show what I mean.....

that's the look I'm trying to get. I understand what you meant by moving the rocker out-ward. That's a beautiful car !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.