Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT-style front hood pins and plates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
Looking for either turnkey kits with the base plates and pins, or I don't mind fabbing the plates if somebody has the 'proper' dimensions and angles etc. written up somewhere. I am not doing an authentic GT replica so I don't need factory parts or exact clones, but this is one area where I think it makes sense to stick as close as feasible to the way it was done on the real GT's.

Here's what I am talking about -

http://www.stazak.com/914/gt/hood/hoodplat.html

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/image/24147550

My understanding is they are cut from stainless sheet metal and then the edges are folded over a specific way so as to 'bite' into the fiberglass lid a bit and probably also to give a little bit of spring vs. laying totally flat.

Any vendor links or fab tips appreciated.
badm
I got my hood pins from www.jegs.com in stainless steel and had the plates cut from 14ga SS at a local sheet metal shop for about $15.00, spend some time to round the edge and use some SS pop rivets and it will look fantastic. Pm me and I will get the size and shape of the plates to you, if you want. Ben

Click to view attachment
badm
QUOTE(badm @ Nov 27 2009, 05:10 AM) *
I got my hood pins from www.jegs.com in stainless steel and had the plates cut from 14ga SS at a local sheet metal shop for about $15.00, spend some time to round the edge and use some SS pop rivets and it will look fantastic. Pm me and I will get the size and shape of the plates to you, if you want. Ben

Plate size.

Click to view attachment
campbellcj
Thanks Ben, that helps a ton!
jmill
piratenanner.gif Sweet I've been looking for this too.

I was concerned that the backside of the rivets would come out into the stiffener. Do you have pics of the backside of the hood where they mount?

Thanks, John
Rav914
Quick highjack:

Ben what color is your car? Is it Bahama Yellow? It's beautiful.
badm
QUOTE(jmill @ Nov 27 2009, 08:57 AM) *

I was concerned that the backside of the rivets would come out into the stiffener. Do you have pics of the backside of the hood where they mount?

Thanks, John

I will take some photos of the mount for the post and the back side of the hood as well. Ben.
badm
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Nov 27 2009, 09:03 AM) *

Quick highjack:

Ben what color is your car? Is it Bahama Yellow? It's beautiful.

Signal orange, looks yellow under my garage lights .

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
I believe you can actually buy many of the GT parts that have been reproduced on someone named Armando's site. Mittelmotor comes to mind but I am not too familiar with it. Eric Shea is doing a GT car and you might ask him.
badm
QUOTE(jmill @ Nov 27 2009, 08:57 AM) *

Thanks, John

Photos of the back side of the hood. Ben

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
carr914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 27 2009, 12:11 PM) *

I believe you can actually buy many of the GT parts that have been reproduced on someone named Armando's site. Mittelmotor comes to mind but I am not too familiar with it. Eric Shea is doing a GT car and you might ask him.

Armando does sell some items, usually something he has had made then he found an Original Factory part. Be careful, this slippery slope gets real expensive, real quick.

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/for_sale
jmill
Thanks for the pics Ben. I like the GT pop-up headlight kit too. Can I ask where you got that? I know there was talk of a kit out there but I don't think the struts ever got worked out.
QUOTE(jmill @ Nov 27 2009, 05:21 PM) *

Thanks for the pics Ben. I like the GT pop-up headlight kit too. Can I ask where you got that? I know there was talk of a kit out there but I don't think the struts ever got worked out.

THAT headlight kit has been in the fab stages for a min of three years now sad.gif

One day.
carr914
QUOTE(jmill @ Nov 27 2009, 08:21 PM) *

Ben told me that Headlight kit is from MittleMotor, I will be ordering a set as soon as I sell off some parts.

T.C.
campbellcj
Mittelmotor does have the headlight kit - I just got one recently ($$$) but have not had a chance to install or even open it up yet.

I did not see these hood pins on their site but the English section is a bit weird in terms of navigation and translation, so I may have missed it. This post just reminded me that I guess I could email and ask them!
campbellcj
Also, not to put words in his mouth, but I do believe Armando has or recently had some original factory GT headlight kit parts. If available, a real NOS setup of course would be significantly more ($$$$) than the Mittelmotor replica kit.
carr914
I talk (eMail) with Armando regularlly and he has some pieces of a kit, but I don't think he has a complete set and some of the pieces were made, not Original. And you are talking Big $$$. That's why I need the MittleMotor (I wish they would go back to putting a set on EvilBay every once in a while).

T.C.
JmuRiz
Chris cool to see your car on here more these days, looking at the pictures of your f'glass hoods you'll really need the right size plates so they don't go through those see-through lids wink.gif

Also badm, your car is GREAT looking! Love the colors, lights and trick bits.
campbellcj
FYI, I just heard from Mittelmotor that they do carry a GT hood pin kit. I'm waiting on a few more details but will probably go this route instead of DIY since free time is very scarce these days.
badm
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Dec 10 2009, 09:37 AM) *

FYI, I just heard from Mittelmotor that they do carry a GT hood pin kit. I'm waiting on a few more details but will probably go this route instead of DIY since free time is very scarce these days.

If you get the kit from Mittelmotor can you post the plate size to see how close thay are to what I have for the size?. Thanks Ben
charliew
It will be a little tricky putting a ss pop rivet through the fg unless you are sure to use a washer on the backside to keep from splitting the glass. Why couldn't you silicon the formed ss plates on to the paint and not use any fastener. I'm sure a adhesive would hold great and the plate would look nice and clean on the edges on the top and bottom. Unless you are trying to look original the ones that use the round keys and fit flush are pretty neat.

I don't see how if the edge of the plate is biting into the surface that would ever be a good thing.
Eric_Shea
I made mine but took a more simplistic approach. AL and pins from Pegasus. These are riveted into the glass using washers on the backside:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
charliew
I once saw some plates that used countersunk allen screws in the plates and they looked really clean. The car also had ss plates on the bottom with tapped threaded holes instead of nuts and the ss screws were flush on the bottom. I don't remember if it was over far enough to fall on the seal though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.