Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Conversion Clutch Cable Question for the V8 guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wallys914
I am trying to place the clutch cable on the clutch arm but the cable wont reach and it is extended, all the way out, any one else have this issue and resolved it? You guys are 1 for 1, please be 2 for 2....

Thanks,
computers4kids
QUOTE(wallys914 @ Nov 27 2009, 03:44 PM) *

I am trying to place the clutch cable on the clutch arm but the cable wont reach and it is extended, all the way out, any one else have this issue and resolved it? You guys are 1 for 1, please be 2 for 2....

Thanks,

The stock will reach. Go inside the car and prop the clutch pedal all the way in the up position. Now go under the car and pull the cable tight...plenty of length now.
wallys914
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Nov 27 2009, 03:59 PM) *

QUOTE(wallys914 @ Nov 27 2009, 03:44 PM) *

Thanks,

The stock will reach. Go inside the car and prop the clutch pedal all the way in the up position. Now go under the car and pull the cable tight...plenty of length now.

I tried that, still seems short... Any other ideas? confused24.gif
computers4kids
Did you by any chance have to weld or move the clutch tube in the tunnel?
wallys914
nope nothing of the such...
computers4kids
Cable moves freely when you push the clutch?.
Pedal up and pull the cable taught by transmission?
Is there anyway the cable got bent or pinched near the front of the motor?
Clutch cables stretch over time, not the other way around.
The clutch pully is bolted to the correct two 13mm nuts..
Cable routes from bottom, up and around plastic wheel .

I'm at a loss...
Take a pic...perhaps someone will see something we don't.
IPB Image
wallys914
Cable moves freely, cable is tight as hell, i have another person pulling the pedal up, cable never got pinched, and only has about 500 miles on it.

Yes it is going perfectly around the pulley.

how does one account for the 1 1/4 from the engine plate? thats what i am short, my cable has the nut at the very end, and was always a pain to get on, from what i remeber....
computers4kids
QUOTE(wallys914 @ Nov 27 2009, 04:24 PM) *

Cable moves freely, cable is tight as hell, i have another person pulling the pedal up, cable never got pinched, and only has about 500 miles on it.

Yes it is going perfectly around the pulley.

how does one account for the 1 1/4 from the engine plate? thats what i am short, my cable has the nut at the very end, and was always a pain to get on, from what i remeber....

So, the nut was at the end when you had the stock motor and the clutch was correctly adjusted? A stock clutch cable has enough play to allow for the 1 1/4 setback. If your's wasn't hardly long enough to start with....

I wonder if you don't have a stock cable or then end is broken off? Those cables have a very long threaded end...pehaps yours has the tip broken off.

Compare the end of your clutch cable to a pic of a new one.
wallys914
This is all pulled up, with no slack left, I agree that the normal cable does have lots of slack, but this does not.

Does the pulley mount seem to be in the right spot?

IPB Image

IPB Image

Any ideas?
computers4kids
OK..I'm going to take a peek out in the garage, but...

I bet you tried to pull the cable with it around the pulley. Take the pulley off. Now try to pull the cable tight...you may need a pair of channel locks to pull tight enough. Put the pulley back on and now try.

Just a side note...did you put an extra washer under the pivot ball inside the transmission?

Here's a pic of my clutch arm adjusted for the V8.
wallys914
issue fixed, i found another clutch cable, switched it out, and BOOM fixed, i think the issue was caused by the difference in years. I have a 72 tailshift converted to a 74 side shift, the cables were 2 inches different, the guy i bought the kit off of had that cable for a 75 car...

Hmmm...

Thanks guys....
marks914
Its always something...
When I didi mine all of the little things like this were the hard part.
Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.