Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is this part?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nsr-jamie
Hello, got to work on my car a little this Saturday morning and replaced a switch, added one of Marks nice seals and some other smaller things...while I had the fuse box out under the dash I found this part. What is it? Is this the cause of my never ending clicking sound?? The car is always clicking with that sound you know when you turn on your hazards or pull the ebrake handle up...my car never stops clicking when its running...over the years I got use to it and eventually gave up but want to fix this annoying problem. It sounded like the clicking was coming from here. Do I really need this part? What would happen if I disconnent it and left the wires unattached (Don't want any fires, hazards or dangers)...is this switch or box or what ever its called faulty and the cause of my never ending clicking sound??

Here are the pictures, oh yes...the hazards are off and the ebrake all the way down and released and it still clicks even when the red light is not flashing in the fuel meter gauge.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

Spoke
Is the clicking at regular intervals like when you put your turnsignals on? I think you have the turnsignal/brake warning flasher. You can disconnect this just to see what doesn't work now. It shouldn't harm anything. It will be a start to figure out why your relay is chattering all the time.
jt914-6
That is the hazzard/turn signal flasher. Disconnect it and you have neither one. If it's clicking when it shouldn't there is a wiring problem. It may have to do with your handbrake switch. Go to Pelican Parts and download a current flow diagram and start tracing wires.....
jt914-6
Here. I'll make it easy for you.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm
tradisrad
Mine was causing both turn signal indicator lights to falsh at the same time. I swaped it out and the indicator lights started working normally.
I bet if you replace it the clicking sound will go away... unless you have another fault that is causing the relay to click.
Spoke
If you need to troubleshoot the flasher relay, here's the schematics for the flasher for both 70-73 and 74-76 years. This schematic shows just the flasher circuit.

70-73
Click to view attachment

74-76
Click to view attachment
cwpeden
Pull out your seat and check the ebrake switch. All manner of crap gets in that hole to fowl it up.
nsr-jamie
Hi, thanks to everyone for the replies...my car is coming home next Saturday so I will have more time to work on it and will do those things like everyone mentioned...I have a feeling its got to do something with the relay, thank you again and I will add a reply later on if I fix the problem, thank you!! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.