Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
516randy
My headlight will not go up when the lights are turned on? Motor is good, relay is good, lights work as they should, drivers side works fine. Thanks for the help.
SGB
QUOTE(516randy @ Nov 28 2009, 02:56 PM) *

My headlight will not go up when the lights are turned on? Motor is good, relay is good, lights work as they should, drivers side works fine. Thanks for the help.

bye1.gif
Hey! welcome to the ward.
Your description pretty much rules out everything except the motor itself. You could check but I bet you have power at the motor when the switch is on. I'm sure a WTB ad would get ya another HL motor. I may have one myself...
914four

welcome.png

Make sure the nut directly above the relay (under the rubber cover) is tight and the splines are fully engaged. Mine came loose last night and it was an easy fix. There is a head light adjustment procedure in a recent thread http://www.914world.com/specs/headlight_adjustment.php that will tell you exactly how to do this.

Kelvin
516randy
QUOTE(SGB @ Nov 28 2009, 02:51 PM) *

bye1.gif
Hey! welcome to the ward.
Your description pretty much rules out everything except the motor itself. You could check but I bet you have power at the motor when the switch is on. I'm sure a WTB ad would get ya another HL motor. I may have one myself...

Thanks. I have one as well, but before I go through the labor of switching them, when I crank the motor manually a small amount with the lights off the motor will lift and close the headlight. If I turn the parking lights on, I can then lift the headlight manually and it will stay up, then when I turn off the parking lights the headlight will close. This makes me think the motor is ok
detoxcowboy
I wish I could hear when you pull the headlight switch, you say motor is good, relay is good, but it will not come up? The passenger side only? I had an accident on that side and it was directly into the head light? The motor and relay are over kil and hardly ever fail, never seen the motor fail and the relays from there never ever fault, 1 in a 1,000,000,000. But mine would not come up either, adjustment is what I think you need. There is a U-Clip on the reverse that has a stop bolt, if your hitting that not dead center it will not rise, what you need to do is loosen the pivots, a 2 sided pivot from the fender well, and the 3 sided from the front trunk, and re allighn, but if when you pull the switch you do not hear a blocking then maybe your motor is failed, it is a huge motor that rarely gets used and is huge for its purpose. Easy to to get blocked though and strong enough to clip a finger.. Check the wiring too.
benalishhero
Check the headlight switch at 54k GY. Should be power with the second pull of the switch.I would start there.
Then travel down stream - ifyou will
516randy
QUOTE(PH1 @ Nov 28 2009, 03:07 PM) *

welcome.png

Make sure the nut directly above the relay (under the rubber cover) is tight and the splines are fully engaged. Mine came loose last night and it was an easy fix. There is a head light adjustment procedure in a recent thread http://www.914world.com/specs/headlight_adjustment.php that will tell you exactly how to do this.

Kelvin

Thanks Kelvin,
I checked the nut- it's tight, are the splines the three coming from the motor? If yes, they are tight as well. Still no luck.
Randy
516randy
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Nov 28 2009, 03:15 PM) *

I wish I could hear when you pull the headlight switch, you say motor is good, relay is good, but it will not come up? The passenger side only? I had an accident on that side and it was directly into the head light? The motor and relay are over kil and hardly ever fail, never seen the motor fail and the relays from there never ever fault, 1 in a 1,000,000,000. But mine would not come up either, adjustment is what I think you need. There is a U-Clip on the reverse that has a stop bolt, if your hitting that not dead center it will not rise, what you need to do is loosen the pivots, a 2 sided pivot from the fender well, and the 3 sided from the front trunk, and re allighn, but if when you pull the switch you do not hear a blocking then maybe your motor is failed, it is a huge motor that rarely gets used and is huge for its purpose. Easy to to get blocked though and strong enough to clip a finger.. Check the wiring too.

Thanks, the motor will go up and down, but not up with the switch comand, so the motor is working in my opinion, right? As far as the adjustment I can give it a try, bit not sure what I am adjusting it to. I understand the location of the 5 pivots you are referring to, but thought they were only to fine tune the position of the headlight lid? The lid is position is great. This happened to me two years ago and fixed itself before I had to do anything. Go figure.
516randy
QUOTE(benalishhero @ Nov 28 2009, 03:23 PM) *

Check the headlight switch at 54k GY. Should be power with the second pull of the switch.I would start there.
Then travel down stream - ifyou will

Thanks, I have not checked the switch yet, but the switch operates the drivers side light as it should and it also will bring the faulty side down, just not up. This leads me to believe the switch and wires are ok? But I am no pro.
SGB
Yes, the motor sounds OK.

Linkage may be the problem, but I'm thinking it is gonna be something simple like a bad ground. I'll have to look at the wiring diagram again. There is some craziness with the circuit opening and closing with a rotating contact to get the door to stop at the right point I think.

Did you swap the relays?
516randy
QUOTE(SGB @ Nov 28 2009, 04:19 PM) *

Yes, the motor sounds OK.

Linkage may be the problem, but I'm thinking it is gonna be something simple like a bad ground. I'll have to look at the wiring diagram again. There is some craziness with the circuit opening and closing with a rotating contact to get the door to stop at the right point I think.

Oh duh...
Have you checked the round black relay? Swap it w/ the other headlight.

Thanks, if the switch had a bad ground I think both lights would not lift?, and if the bad ground was at the headlight I don't think the motor would work at all? I am perplexed. I did the duh before I started this
516randy
QUOTE(516randy @ Nov 28 2009, 12:56 PM) *

Still not fixed. Any other ideas?
Greenguy
The timing of your post is interesting. I was driving my 74 1.8 this evening and the car was running wonderfully with the lights working as they should. I stopped at a store for a few minutes, returned and pulled the light switch and no head lights. All lights seemed to be working normally, the headlights just didn't pop up. I noticed at the same time that my radar detector that was plugged into the cigarette lighter was also inoperative. A long story short, managed somehow to get home with out the headlights, parked in the driveway and decided to troubleshoot after eating. Two hours later started the car to pull into the garage and noticed that the radar detector was again working as were the headlights. I have no clue what caused the problem so if you find a solution please post because it looks like I will probably face this problem again.

Greg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.