Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wiring questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
So, Nadine and I are ripping out all the unnecessary wires in Papa Smurf.

I have a question: if we have no lights except the brake lights, no heater, blower, etc, etc, etc.....do we really even need the fuse panel?

Basically, we have left in the car:
Ignition
Fuel Pump
Brake Lights
Fuel guage
volt meter
oil pressure
oil temp
tach
alternator
starter
...can't think of anything else except an accessory switch for the cool suit

do we need any of the relays on the fuse panel under the dash?

Mike Bellis
You need fuese for...
Ignition, Fuel Pump, Gauges, Brake lights

I count 4 fuses. You can use a small fuse block or inline fuses. Ideally the will be within 18 inches of the battery.

Alll other wiring, maybe every wire can be removed and replaced with only a few wires.

Any time you use non factory wiring mount the fuses as close to the battery as possible. this will help to prevent any fires due to wires shorting to ground.
naro914
Thanks
Battery is located in the passenger side headlight bucket, the run to the kill switch. I can put it close to the kill switch (basically, back where the stock location is)

There are SOOOO many wires still in the car. Gotta figure out what's still needed.
Mike Bellis
If it's a track only car... Rip out all the wiring. Painless sells basic race kits to do what you need. Brake switch behind pedal, 2 wires. Fuel pump, relay, switch and wiring. Guage wiring as needed. Not much else is needed. 914's have much more wiring than you need for the track.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.