Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Automotive Elcectrical Wiring Books
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
Looking to rewire my 914 from scratch and have a minimum wire harness in the car. I am looking for a book that will give me the information that i need before i start on the project. I have been researching the internet and some info contradicts itself compared to other info i have found. looking for a book or two/three, that will describe how to wire a car or how to wire up basic circuits in an automobile. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
VaccaRabite
How to Wire Your Hot Rod (Hot Rod Basics) (Paperback)

http://www.amazon.com/How-Wire-Your-Hot-Ba...8132&sr=1-4

Have fun!

Zach
VaccaRabite
If you are hoping to use the stock wiring components, I think you would be better off opening up the harness and removing the wires that you do not need.

I intended to do this on my car, got overwhelmed, and did not do it. I am glad that I id not, as I have ended up needing circuits that I thought I was going to be removing (like fog lights, light motors, etc.)

If you are going from scratch, it might be best to use a Painless kit and use GM parts wherever you can.

Zach
Mike Bellis
I have been an electrician for over 20 years. Started working on Jet Fighters in the USMC. Just some background...

I have done many custom show wiring jobs for several different makes of cars. Rewiring your car is difficult if you have no experience but not impossible. Most aftermarket wiring harnesses are designed for GM vehicles. they are not directly compatible with german cars. the 914 has 4 fuses just for headlights. GM cars use the brake lights as turn signals. So there are some major differences to look at.
a good scematic for 914's is availble from slash5.com I bought one and has helped me "fix" some wiring problems from the previous owner of my 14.
Your basic wiring kit will not have enough wires to completely rewire a 914 but will have enough if yours is for racing only.

If you want to make everything work like a new car you will need factory shop manuals with internal switch scematics. If not you will need advanced knowledge of switches and relays.

I recommend you not rewire unles you are comfortable with wiring. I would not like to see you get half way into the project and giive up or pay hunderds of dollars just to have someone else get it running again.

Good Luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.