Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche Grill Lettering-Gold and Chrome
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
ellisor3
The Porsche grill lettering is traditionally done in gold, but you can also get the letters in chrome. Here are my questions:

1.) Was chrome letters ever an option?
2.) When was chrome used instead of gold? GT version?
3.) Why was gold standard if the only other thing on the car that is gold is the background of the badge? All other badges are chrome.
ellisor3
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Nov 29 2009, 08:57 AM) *

The Porsche grill lettering is traditionally done in gold, but you can also get the letters in chrome. Here are my questions:

3.) Why was gold standard if the only other thing on the car that is gold is the background of the badge? All other badges are chrome.

Nevermind-found my own answer from P914:

Porsche 914 & 914/6 Badges & Emblems: "P O R S C H E" Engine Grille Letters

As with the 911 models of the era, all U.S. specification PorscheĀ® 914 and 914/6 vehicles were delivered from the factory with block "P O R S C H E" lettering across the engine grille In line with the VW-Porsche joint marketing, European specification cars do not have engine grille "P O R S C H E" badging. Similar to the rear badges, the finish and material used for the engine grille insignia changed several times although the style and dimensions remained constant.

Each of the seven letter emblems is exactly 48mm long, 20mm high and 3mm thick. Each is attached to the engine grille by two 10mm rear prongs secured with speed nuts. Spacing of the letters across the engine grille is detailed at right (third picture down). Note that exact spacing is impossible to achieve, because one is constrained by the spacing of the actual grille openings.

U.S. specification Porsche 914 & 914/6 automobiles produced for model years 1970-1972 were all equipped with gold-anodized aluminum engine grille letter emblems.

1973 Porsche 914 models came with chrome-silver anodized aluminum engine grille letter emblems.

Porsche 914 vehicles produced for model years 1974-1976 came from the factory with chrome-silver plastic engine grille letter emblems, presumably as another cost-cutting measure. Visually, they are identical to the 1973 chrome-silver anodized aluminum "P O R S C H E" letters.
Pat Garvey

James your research has answered all of your questions...except for number 3.

The rear "914" emblem is also gold through 1972. "the badge"? 914's were never equipped (with 2 rare exceptions) with a Porsche badge. Any mass produced 914 with a Porsche badge(crest) is bogus. Seems a lot of people want to drill holes in their hoods to fit a badge, but it unoriginal. Must be an identity thing.
Pat
ellisor3
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 29 2009, 08:22 PM) *

James your research has answered all of your questions...except for number 3.

The rear "914" emblem is also gold through 1972. "the badge"? 914's were never equipped (with 2 rare exceptions) with a Porsche badge. Any mass produced 914 with a Porsche badge(crest) is bogus. Seems a lot of people want to drill holes in their hoods to fit a badge, but it unoriginal. Must be an identity thing.
Pat

Point well taken. I have seen it so often I forgot it was never original.
914Sixer
Another point is that some of the 73-early 74 914 emblems were painted black and others were anodized black. Early 74 they changed to black plastic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.