Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wevo shifters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larryp
Full disclosure: I have a Rennshift and it works great. I just learned that Wevo has a 901 shift available ($595) that works in a 914 with their shift tower ($240).

I used a Wevo in a 911 and it was terrific. Has anyone installed one in a 914? How much better would it be than mine?
TimT
Why bother?

James' rennshift is great, so you would remove it and then install $800 of Wevo stuff? No doubt the Wevo stuff is great but I cant believe it will shift any better than the rennshift
larryp
I agree, James' product is fine. I was wondering if anyone here had used both.
Part Pricer
For 500 bucks I'll come over and tell you the one you have now is better. w00t.gif
tat2dphreak
just give me the rennshifter, and you can test the wevo... wink.gif

the wevo can't be 2x better, and it costs 2x as much...
Mueller
When I was at WEVO a few weeks ago, Hayden told me that he does not have a 901 shifter for the 914's......early 911's yes.

of course things do change and maybe now he does ????
jonwatts
I probably have the facts wrong but it's my understanding the WEVO unit is for 915 boxes on the 911. I think it can be made to work on a 914 running a 915 with flipped diff.

With WEVO in the thread title I'm sure Brad will chime in if not Hayden himself.
seanery
the 911 915 shifter will work in a tail shifter, been there done that, but if you have a sideshifter that one won't fit. Not sure about a 911/901 working in a sideshifter.
Brad Roberts
Correct. WEVO does not have a shifter for the 914. They sell a 901 shifter (which is NOT a 914 tranny)

I asked WEVO to develop a shifter for our 914 tranny's.. when James hit the market before we could the project was dropped. No need to saturate a small market. James' price is "Ok" with most 914 people. 595$ for the WEVO is "OK" for the 911 guy's.

B
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 19 2004, 02:03 PM)
James' price is "Ok" with most 914 people. 595$ for the WEVO is "OK" for the 911 guy's.

i've got the early 911 RennShifter in my 911 - and i spent the difference on other stuff. even with the tricked-up and tarted-up reverse lockout gizmo and aluminum shaft i'm money ahead.

don't cry for WEVO. part of my shifter savings went to pay for their CamberKing strut brace. it is tres cool, boys & girls ...
larryp
As per Wevo:

It would certainly fit with the tower replacement but they do not suggest it because the cost verses the small change in shifting does not make sense and undermines the product itself.

Rennshift 1, Wevo 0
jonwatts
QUOTE(larryp @ Mar 22 2004, 08:23 AM)
Rennshift 1, Wevo 0

I'm sure you didn't mean this last statement as I read it, but just a side note on interpreting what we type.

The WEVO product is not intended for our cars, we were trying to shoe-horn it in there before James showed up with his shifter and solved our problem. The statement quoted above implies the two products are in competition with each other when they never were and never will be.

Personally, I'm overjoyed by any manufacturer who tells me "you don't need what I have, you really need product X." That kind of honesty will usually win them my business immediately.
larryp
I meant that for this application (914), James' product works and the Wevo does not. Period.

Obviously I appreciate the honesty in pointing that out. I have bought and used Wevo products before and will again, but fail entirely to see how what I wrote could be taken in some other manner.
Mueller
but fail entirely to see how what I wrote could be taken in some other manner.

people have a tendancy of not reading the entire thread and just taking away bits of information.....i can see someone doing a search and seeing just that one post and getting all bent out of shape or taking it as a definitive fact.........nothing against you at all smile.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE(larryp @ Mar 22 2004, 09:22 AM)
Obviously I appreciate the honesty in pointing that out. I have bought and used Wevo products before and will again, but fail entirely to see how what I wrote could be taken in some other manner.

You may fail to see it, but you just did it again.

I meant that for this application (914), James' product works and the Wevo does not.  Period.
Brad Roberts
I have to admit I read it like a shitty dig at WEVO. It doesnt hurt my feelings...LOL

WEVO designs new products. James figured out how to use an existing shifter from another car in our cars.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.