Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Every state needs this law
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonwatts
MOVE OVER!!!

+1 point for Colorado
madd_dogg_914
That is ALREADY a law in California. If you drive in the left lane, slower than the speed limit, or, slower than traffic permits, then you will be cited. The reason behind this is as follows: The left lane is reserved for passing vehicles. The problem is, if you are behind a car that is in the left lane, going slow, even though they are breaking the law, if you pass them on the right, that is an even bigger law, and they will ticket you. In order for the slow poke to get a ticket, they actually have to be slowing up a police officer, who would be right behind them. I think that they should equip cars with loudspeakers, so we could give the police a hand laugh.gif

-Chris
mike_the_man
agree.gif totally! One of my pet peeves. I always pull up behind them and start flashing my lights at them. It's very rare when somebody actually gets the hint and pulls over.
brant
wow.. it may be the first good thing he ever did...
oops.. I'm not supposed to air political crud here...

brant
fiid
One small indication that someone in gubberment is paying attention. I have no time for the rest of the theatrical crap that is going on.
J P Stein
It has always been the law in WA.....I have never heard of ANYONE being cited for it. Passing on the right is rampant. The WSP spends their time taxing speeders.
Downunderman
Same in all states here
cha914
I think that is a law here in Texas also...I used to try and "enforce" the law by flashing people, and it would work every once in a while. However, after having a couple of ego types in trucks slam on their brakes in front of me, I decided to go back to passing quickly on the right when the opening is there.

Driving on the left here is so bad that usually the far right lane is the fastest moving... wacko.gif

Tony
JWest
Yes, we have signs posted "Slower traffic keep right" and "Left lane for passing only". Mostly ignored. mad.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(James Adams @ Mar 19 2004, 02:19 PM)
Yes, we have signs posted "Slower traffic keep right" and "Left lane for passing only". Mostly ignored. mad.gif

ignored with stop signs and speed limits... those are all JUST suggestions!!!
biosurfer1
oh ya its a law, and if my grandfather was alive, he would have quite a bit to say about this subject...his famous story was that he got a ticket coming back north on I-5 here in CA for going too slow in the fast lane, the ticket (which he kept all these years) said he was doing 47 in a 55 (old days) and was a hazard. best part was that when he was pulled over, it was after 10:30 at night and the entire time he was pulled over, only 2 cars passed, which shows how light the traffic was...he used to hot over that one 20 years after he got it laugh.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE(Howard R @ Mar 19 2004, 10:57 AM)
Same in all states here

You have states?

(me? typical American centrist?)
jonwatts
QUOTE(cha914 @ Mar 19 2004, 12:06 PM)
Driving on the left here is so bad that usually the far right lane is the fastest moving... wacko.gif

You've just described I-5 from the SF Bay Area down to LA (and perhaps points south). So many people cruise in the left lane that I've had to retrain myself to pass on the right. It's only 2 lanes each direction usually and you can pass like 10 cars before coming up to the next RV or tractor trailer in the slow lane and have to get back over.
ein 6er
that "no passing on the right" works great in theory, but it seems counter productive to traffic flow. all it takes is 1 bonehead in the laft lane to screw the whole thing up!!

a couple of years ago, the highway patrol, sheriff's dept. and i think the city of orlando. decided to crack down on "aggressive drivers". driving too close or flashing your lights at a slower driver in the left lane was concidered "aggressive driving".

so the traffic enforcers, set up a sting, where an unmarked car would drive in the left lane on the interstates, either at the speed limit or slower and if someone would tailgate or flashs their lights at the slower unmarked car, they were pulled and giving a citation for aggressive driving. never mind trying to educate or ticket the left lane slower drivers. just another attempt to whip us into submission!!

and if ticketing speeders is done in the name of safety, they really should target drivers for improper lane changes, not using turn signals. i think i've seen more near accidents from improper lane changes than from people exceeding the speed limit by a few mph. you rarely hear of someone getting a ticket for an improper lane change.

there really needs to be better drivers education in this country on the rules and regulations.

rant over!! wavey.gif

doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.