Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Header + Clutch cable tube
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
i installed my new ERHeader yesterday, and was able to tie most cables away from it (after nearly burning through a parking brake cable!). However, i cannot find a way to route the metal clutch cable tube such that it does not make contact with the header in at least one place. is this a problem, or is this precisely what the metal tube is supposed to do; i.e. work as a heat shield?

thx, nate
Dave_Darling
The stock clutch cable does not have a metal tube around it, except inside the center tunnel. There is metal inside of the sheath, but it is not enough to protect the cable from direct contact with a header.

It is possible this is an add-on heat shield. No idea on how well it would work.

--DD
nebreitling
thank you for your reply, dave.

this is what i'm talking about: the metal tube carrying the clutch cable running through the center (is this the same tube as is in the center tunel?). also note top left, where i burned the rubber sheath of the parking brake. still works fine.

also note my spotless undercarriage... laugh.gif

any more thoughts? i can't find a place that would keep the clutch cable-tube-thing away from where the pipes begin to merge toward the collector. mucho apprecciated.

n beerchug.gif
nebreitling
sorry, pic
Brad Roberts
N,

I'll show you what we use next time you are in the shop.

B
lapuwali
That's not stock. Someone added that, perhaps for the very reason you're asking this question.
Brad Roberts
Um.. the owner of the car "Neil" installed the header and quickly found out it burns stock clutch cables. He installed the conduit.

I use a small metal loom holder and place it over the cable housing and bolt it down to a "tab" hanging off the block. It keeps the housing form melting and causing your cable to stick..

B
cgnj
Brad,

Is this loom something that is commerically available or should I see you. My header is on the way.

Carlos
nebreitling
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 19 2004, 12:00 PM)
I use a small metal loom holder and place it over the cable housing and bolt it down to a "tab" hanging off the block.

this is exactly what i was hoping to do, but i can't find a well-positioned bolt/tab/whatever to hang the loom from.

the way i have the cables arranged as of now seems OK, but i'm still interested in your idea, brad.

oh, and btw,

that header/muffler sounds fucking awesome (it also wakes up the engine more than a bit!)

carlos, the loom should be pretty easy to fabricate yourself. if i go this route i'll post pictures of my solution.
BGman
On my 75, there is a small "tab" on the bottom of the oil pan. I am not sure what it was originally intended to be used for- but i drilled in and tapped it to accept an (approx) 6" piece of all-thread. Using this alltherad as a stiff hanger, I installed a clamp at the end to secure both cables away from the exhaust.

Actually, a small part of the clutch cable does touch the edge of one of the headers- and I wrapped it with cloth braided hose. The header is hot enough to scorch the braided hose, but not to melt through it.
-g
nebreitling
QUOTE(BGman @ Mar 19 2004, 06:10 PM)
On my 75, there is a small "tab" on the bottom of the oil pan.

which tab? got a pic?
Brad Roberts
Neil,

it is a casting tab on the bottom of the block. It held the warm air guide in place. It is tapped for a M5 bolt.

I'll try to remember to get a pic. I have showed this in the past.

B
bperry
Are these headers from Eurorace/European Racing?
Any pictures of the Muffler supplied?

What is their current contact information?
Telephone #/Web page?

Thanks,

--- Bill
nebreitling
ordered from HPH

http://www.highperformancehouse.com/

there are a few other options as well, brad can fill you in. i must say it is a very noticeable improvement in performance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.