Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st time CV Joint Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kkid
So I am in the middle of servicing the inboard CV Joints. I've separated the passenger side CV joint from the flange already but I have no idea how I can get the circlip(snap ring?) off the shaft.
The clip does not have holes on the ends so my snap ring plier can't get hold of it. I attached a pic that I borrowed from other thread.

Click to view attachment

Please somebody tell me how I can get the clip off the shaft.

Thanks in advance.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(kkid @ Nov 30 2009, 04:20 AM) *

Please somebody tell me how I can get the clip off the shaft.

foul language will help...

I've done a few things through the years... circlip pliers can work if you just use them to force the ends apart. Or Needle-nose pliers where you provide the expansion force. You may be able to 'hold' one end with a screwdriver and use another to get under the other end and wedge them apart. My recollection is that you don't need to expand it much.

But the best tool for the job (and many other Porsche-related tasks) is a large snap-ring plier made by Snap-On. Mine is marked '70CP' - a number which does not match anything on the current Snap-On website... But they're about 10" long (good leverage) and have fixed, 'L'-shaped ends that make them perfect in this application.
FourBlades

I just did this last week, it is a bit of a pain. Make sure it is nice and clean so it
does not stick in the groove. Take the flat side of a screw driver and make the
ring rotate on the shaft so you know it is not stuck on. I used some small and
weak snap ring pliers (all I had handy) to expand the ring a little then pried under
the angled end with a screw driver. The key is to get one end up then get the
screw driver under it.

That is one messy job...

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.