Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tunnel Straighten / Repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cire
Howdy All,

My tunnel has a few dents. It looks like the PO hit a rock and the car bounced in a few spots on the rock as it went over. I see 2 areas, maybe 3 that could be repaired... I say could because the car drove fine. The shift tunnel wasnt impacted (it shifted fine - Is in under these dents?) and it seems like everything else in the tunnel moved nicely or wasnt impacted. Can I straighten them out from the bottom? Drill a hole, put a bolt through it, put a nut and a washer on the inside and then pull it out?

Take a look. I could use some advice. You cant see the dents from inside the cab.

Eric

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Gigamight
I am dealing with the same issue on my car. Mine isn't perfect yet, but I was able to make a great deal of progress by finding a spot where I could pound it from the top. Most of my dents were near the shifter hole and the rear access holes. Hopefully someone will answer as to whether there is a structural issue by not fixing them otherwise.

P.S. Saw your progress thread, was wondering if/when you were going to address those dents.
Cire
QUOTE(Gigamight @ Nov 30 2009, 08:06 AM) *

I am dealing with the same issue on my car. Mine isn't perfect yet, but I was able to make a great deal of progress by finding a spot where I could pound it from the top. Most of my dents were near the shifter hole and the rear access holes. Hopefully someone will answer as to whether there is a structural issue by not fixing them otherwise.

I thought about the pounding it out method too. I could drill a hole in the top big enough for a socket extention and bang on that to get the dent out. I guess I just dont know whats under there and the impact of drilling the hole or banging on it from the top. = )

Good stuff.

Eric
Gigamight
QUOTE(Cire @ Nov 30 2009, 10:09 AM) *

I thought about the pounding it out method too. I could drill a hole in the top big enough for a socket extention and bang on that to get the dent out. I guess I just dont know whats under there and the impact of drilling the hole or banging on it from the top. = )

Good stuff.

Eric

Check out this thread. Good info on post #11 as to what is in that tunnel and where:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=101327
Cire
QUOTE(Gigamight @ Nov 30 2009, 08:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Cire @ Nov 30 2009, 10:09 AM) *

Good stuff.

Eric
Check out this thread. Good info on post #11 as to what is in that tunnel and where:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=101327

Great thread. I love the pictures. = )

So do you leave it, pull from the bottom, push from the top or....? = )

Eric
r_towle
Fuel lines are on the passenger side hugging the sidewall.
They are plastic.
Given that you have gone this far, I would strongly suggest you replace them with CFR weldings stainless tubing anyways.

With the shifter removed, you might be able to slide a long crow bar in there are bend it back down again...there are quite a few holes in the tunnel and with a bit of creative thought....you can get that dent out.

Metal likes to go back to its original shape..just find the crown of the dent and push down...you may luck out and get most of it.

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cire @ Nov 30 2009, 06:21 AM) *

Can I straighten them out from the bottom? Drill a hole, put a bolt through it, put a nut and a washer on the inside and then pull it out?

I'd use a slide-hammer ...
smash.gif Andy
McMark
If you want to go that far, don't do more damage than your fixing by drilling holes in the metal. If you want to go the extra mile, spend $120 on this tool. It temporarily welds a 'nail' to the body, you pull with a slide hammer then break the 'nails' off and grind the body smooth.

And if you're interested, I've been meaning to get one of those, so maybe we can work out a deal for me to buy it from you when you're done. wink.gif
Cire
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 30 2009, 10:18 AM) *

If you want to go that far, don't do more damage than your fixing by drilling holes in the metal. If you want to go the extra mile, spend $120 on this tool. It temporarily welds a 'nail' to the body, you pull with a slide hammer then break the 'nails' off and grind the body smooth.

And if you're interested, I've been meaning to get one of those, so maybe we can work out a deal for me to buy it from you when you're done. wink.gif

Its certainly one of those tools you only use once or twice. = ) I would do that. Let me see what I can do on my end with a crow bar and such. If I go with your tool, I will let you know. = )

Thanks for the great ideas.

Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.