Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: European Wiring Harness 1970
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
proto31
So, I'm installing my wiring harness, it is a european harness. I'm making this assumption based on one main observation (although there are others that seem to support it). The observation- this is a new harness (4 cylander) (unfortunately I do not have the part number... sad.gif ), there are NO wires going to what would be the side marker lights. Nothing (absolutely certain) has been cut, I can trace all wires and there never were any side marker light wires.

So, my problem is this, there seems to be no wiring coming out of the harness in the passenger compartment area for a fog light switch, there are, however, wires for fog lights up near the front bumper area where they should be. The main wire (white with a yellow stripe) enters the passenger compartment area and goes to a relay, which then jumps directly to the combination relay, from there there are no wires that would normally go to a switch.

I know that there was some different functionality with the Euro fog light operation, but what exactly was the difference? Do the fog lights turn on any time the headlights are on, meaning no need for a fog light switch? Do I need a special head light switch?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! biggrin.gif

Dan
SirAndy
QUOTE(proto31 @ Nov 30 2009, 10:01 AM) *

Do the fog lights turn on any time the headlights are on, meaning no need for a fog light switch?

No. Euro cars had a separate foglight switch if equipped with foglights.
Running your foglights with your lowbeams when it is not foggy (using them as "running" lights) is in fact illegal in germany and will most likely result in a hefty ticket.

There's at leats 3 different types of main wiring looms:

1 - Loom with wires for the foglights and wires for a switch
2 - Loom with wires for foglights but no wires for the switch
3 - Loom with no wires for foglights or switch

It would seem your harness is of the type 2.
I'm afraid you'll have to add the wires and switch yourself.
shades.gif Andy

PS: My '70 /4 was a US spec with no wires for either the foglights or the switch.
jim_hoyland
If I remember correctly, only USA 914's had side markers. So a Euro harness would not have a provision.
McMark
Foglight switch wires are:
1. Brown (goes to key switch, then to ground)
2. Black/Blue (goes to headlight switch, so the fogs only work with low-beams)
3. Grey/Red (goes to fog light relay pin 86)

The Grey/Red wire coming out of the relay is they key component. If your harness has that, you're set because you can easily add the other two if they really are missing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.