Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: woodworking in your garage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson

Does anyone do any woodworking projects in their garage? I hadn't done this type of work in a long time, and it will be a long time before I try again because my garage is a huge mess now. There is dust everywhere! I even tried to keep it clean as I was going and did nearly all the cutting near the open garage door.

I thought it would be "fun" to build a new island counter top for our kitchen. It was - for the first couple hours.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
number6
That is beautiful work!

Hey, your post count matches your member number!

Double-cool!

Help me - I can't stop using exclamations!
zymurgist
That's awesome! thumb3d.gif

I kicked the taildragger out for a few hours last Sunday so I could fabricate a mount for a grain mill... working on the most kickass piece of homebrew equipment that I own.
Gint
Nice!

I was assembling a cabinet yesterday afternoon! But I don't use the garage. 10years ago I had a 12x16 TuffShed built on a concrete pad in the back yard. That's my shop for woodworking and such. When it isn't full of 914 parts... I have enough dust in the garage from the blast cabinet.
VaccaRabite
Yep, all my woodworking is done in the garage. No other place for me to do it. And it is messy and dusty.

Zach
ahdoman
Just use the sawdust to soak up the oil!
tat2dphreak
great work!! that is a beautiful piece!
Mark Henry
Good job.
Make sure your cabinets are reinforced to handle the extra weight.

Anyone attempting to do woodworking out of their garage should make sure they have good dust collection.
I personally know of 2 woodworkers who have died from throat cancer. One was my brother.
Cap'n Krusty
Silly. Woodworking belongs in the house, where your wife can clean it up! And this thread belongs in the sandbox, where things this far OT gather to party.

The Cap'n
jfort
amazing coincidence that this discussion is happening. i just had to made a stand for a new TV and associated equipment. had to do it within 10' of car. i don't have a fancy saw dust collection system, so now there is dust all over car. pisses me off, but i don't have another place
zymurgist
I get that a lot too. I hit my car with compressed air after I'm done.
516randy
Don't understand the 914 connection, Maybe you should make a table that can break down and fit in your trunk, that way you can bring some class to the next tailgate and also improve our 914 image Nice work.
Randy
type47
Hmmm, interesting. I do all my car work in my "woodworking" shop biggrin.gif
bandjoey
Great top. Now. How about an all wood 914 body? Or wooden biggrin.gif Jack stands??
iamchappy
I have a ceiling mounted dust collector and a powerful vacuum collector that attaches to my saws or table area, and i still wipe out my garage when i wood work in it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 30 2009, 11:33 PM) *

woodworking in your garage

Garage? I don't have a garage ...
sad.gif Andy
zymurgist
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 1 2009, 01:22 PM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 30 2009, 11:33 PM) *

woodworking in your garage

Garage? I don't have a garage ...
sad.gif Andy

That's all right, you have a nicer car than many of us who do have garages.
FourBlades

I hate the dust. It it impossible to stop the really fine stuff even with a big dust
collector. I used to dream of locating my dust collector outside so even the fine
stuff that gets through the bag is not in the garage.

Once I got into 914s the woodworking tools became neglected and rusty.
Someday I will finish the guitars that are half built...

John
r_towle
Dust Collection.

A decent setup will keep everything clean.

Rich
jmill
A decent setup isn't that expensive. I have a finished basement with a shop in one of the corners. The dust collector and filter keep the place fairly dust free.

BTW - very nice work. clap56.gif
Bruce Allert
it's quite easy to alleviate the dust... soak the wood in the last oil change! no dust smile.gif

....b
PanelBilly
Or you can buy a Festoon saw and dust collection system and make your cuts in the kitchen. It a German circular saw that is designed for cabinet work. The quality is excellent and it will only set you back about $1300 for the system. I don't have one yet, but its on my shopping list.
charliew
I would much rather deal with wood dust than fg dust. Try doing either with asthma and I really hate dust masks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.