Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My numbers are Whack !$%?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
Car is running great, still chirps a little, but no problems. 1.8 L w/ L-jet took off the heads and cleaned them up. New stock mm pistons and cylenders. New head gaskets, intake gaskets runner boots all fuel lines replaced all vacume hose replaced. Fuel injectors cleaned (cruzin) new fuel filter air filtre, new plugs and wires. Pertronix.Set valves ETC. ETC.

so 4 weeks later (today) I do a compression test. Car was warmed up, battery fully charged, pulled all plugs and held down gas pedal.....

1. 90
2. 110
3. 100
4. 120

I checked 2 times confused24.gif

jsayre914
here are the plugs if yr interested..
VaccaRabite
Not possible, unless your cylinders were out of round, your rings have not seated or you have some sort of massive head leak. You are doing something wrong.

Try this.
When the engine is dead cold, adjust your valves.
Get the engine warm and find a quiet road. From rolling in second, stomp the gas and take it up to redline. Lift off and let the car coast back down to rolling idle, and do this routine twice more. Thats what Jake says to do to seat the rings.

When you get back home, check your chamber pressure again.

Zach
VaccaRabite
Also, unless you have pulled the plugs out whlie the car was hot under load, Rich and Jake have both advised me the reading plugs is useless. You are just reading them at idle, not under load.

From MD going north up 83, hitt the ramp to the rest stop just before exit 4, and shut down the motor and coast up the ramp to stop. That way you won't have ANY idle messing thing up when you pull the plugs to read them.

That said, 1, 2, 4 look rich to me.

Zach
Dr Evil
Gee, did someone say your rings not seated?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 1 2009, 09:22 AM) *

You are just reading them at idle, not under load.

agree.gif

Back in my dirt bike racing days, we would cut the ignition (panic button) under full throttle, then stop and check the plugs.

Anything other than load won't give you any good plug readings ...
shades.gif Andy
yeahmag
If it's chirping, especially when cold, you have a leak at the head to cylinder sealing surface.
tat2dphreak
when did you put the new P/Cs in?

I just don't think your engine is seated yet smile.gif

4 weeks? did you put 1500 miles on in those 4 weeks? 1000?
VaccaRabite
If Joe has been DDing the car every day, he probably has ~1500 miles on it now. His commute is ~100 miles (a day, not one way)

Zach
jsayre914
at least 1500 miles since i put them on there
tat2dphreak
hmm, time to bust out the borax biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
Head gasket.

Chirping is a dead give away, disconect the ignition crank away (cold) and listen for a whistle/squeaking noise from the lean cylinder.
VaccaRabite
Joe, come over. We can hit it with the leak down tester and find out if its leaking from the head. I'm home tonight and free (but may take a nap if I don't hear from you).

Zach
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 1 2009, 03:30 PM) *

Head gasket.

Chirping is a dead give away, disconect the ignition crank away (cold) and listen for a whistle/squeaking noise from the lean cylinder.

damn I totally missed that!! that was the dead giveaway on mine too, every cylinder was leaking because the cylinder didn't fit into the head squarely... on mine the heads were not cut straight
Dr Evil
I would have suspected as much. I told Joe just to get another used p/c so as to not mess up the (dis)harmony of his tired 1.8. He had to go and buy new ones. And then he did not break them in dry.gif I bet this is the cylinder that had the messed up piston originally. I bet the head and the register are kaka. He should stop throwing money at that low HP POS and put money into his 2056 instead rolleyes.gif Those p/c were $300 that could have gone to cams, lifter sets, 2056 p/c, etc..... Joe is unusual wink.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 1 2009, 05:08 PM) *

I would have suspected as much. I told Joe just to get another used p/c so as to not mess up the (dis)harmony of his tired 1.8. He had to go and buy new ones. And then he did not break them in dry.gif I bet this is the cylinder that had the messed up piston originally. I bet the head and the register are kaka. He should stop throwing money at that low HP POS and put money into his 2056 instead rolleyes.gif Those p/c were $300 that could have gone to cams, lifter sets, 2056 p/c, etc..... Joe is unusual wink.gif

I have some nice parts for sale....I know....shameless plug ....
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 1 2009, 02:08 PM) *

Joe is unusual

Aren't we all? biggrin.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 1 2009, 05:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 1 2009, 05:08 PM) *

I have some nice parts for sale....I know....shameless plug ....

Like what?

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.