Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Late-model fuel filter R/R
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
any tips? obviously, i run the tank down until almost empty, but i still can't manage to remove the damn thing without spilling a liter of gas everywhere ohmy.gif i've tried squeezing and pinching the line, but i have to let go at some point. in order swap the filter, etc.

any tricks of the trade appreciated.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Mar 19 2004, 11:45 AM)
any tricks of the trade appreciated.

i use the step-sized nozzle tip from a tube of RTV to temporarily plug lines.

i'd never use RTV around a Porsche, of course, but it comes in handy around the house :-)
mike_the_man
I use a bolt of the proper size and stick it in the fuel line. I usually still manage to spill a lot of gas trying to get it in. Put lots of rags around to try and soak up the fuel, too. I don't think there's a really good way to do this.
nebreitling
excellent suggestions, thank you gentlemen.
TheCabinetmaker
You have a 75 correct? It may be possible to install a small c clamp on the fuel line before the pump. I do this when removing the pump.

Good luck
JWest
How about this? I got a similar one years ago from a VW dealer mechanic.

http://www.autopart.com/Tools/file/part86.htm
Marlow
You should be able to find hose clamps like nbreitling posted made by Lisle Corporation. This is what they look like . . .

http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=241

I just removed my gas tank to replace all the fuel lines. I used a small 12v fuel pump I bought years ago and drained the tank down to just a few ounces of fuel. Barely anything came out when I pulled the hoses off (most was from the filter itself).
Marlow
Oops, meant to say the picture James Adams posted . . . I'm an idiot.
Marlow
Just an afterthought, if your hoses are old and you use some of these "hose pinchers" you may split the hose. Not good.
Demick
Just be happy you don't have an early car where your face is under the fuel filter you are trying to replace!

I've used a bolt to temporarily plug the line before - didn't work. The fuel spiraled right around the threads and leaked right out - even with a hose clamp.

Also tried using the body of a plastic ball point pen once. Fit perfectly and plugged the line. Problem was when I went to remove it it was stuck. The fuel ate the plastic and glued it inside the fuel line. Dooh!

Now I just hold it with my finger and work very quickly with a catch bucket.

Demick
type11969
What about putting a fuel shut-off in the fuel line? I did this in my beetle and I know the next time I need to replace the filter under the tank or just pull the tank it is going to be a lot easier and a lot less messy. I learned the hard way, lets just say that after 3 showers in a row I still smelled like gasoline.

-Chris
Bleyseng
I just use a small pair of visegrips to plug the fuel lines. Then take everything apart without spilling hardly a drop of gas.
While you are in there look at the condition of the fuel lines, if they are hard, cracked and just getting old replace them.

Geoff
mightyohm
I use bolts to plug the lines. Works great. Use a hose clamp. It helps if the bolt is snug in the line.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.