Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DE days
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
my car will be a street car... true.

but I would like to attend one of the DE days I hear about all the time. where can you find info on these local?
carr914
PCA.org will have a link to your Region

T.C.
SirAndy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 1 2009, 11:26 AM) *

PCA.org will have a link to your Region

agree.gif

Your local PCA region will be as good a start as any ...
driving.gif Andy

PS: And you need to get familiar with the term "schlippery schlope" biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
cool, now that I have a running "porsch" I guess I should look into joining PCA biggrin.gif
jt914-6
http://mav.pca.org/Events/Calendar.asp biggrin.gif Check events calendar and DE....This is for your neck of the woods.....
6freak
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 1 2009, 11:52 AM) *

cool, now that I have a running "porsch" I guess I should look into joining PCA biggrin.gif

just dont call it a Porsch when your there
tat2dphreak
just dont call it a Porsch when your there

I know... it was a joke tongue.gif

thanks for the link JT. I found it earlier, and even some familiar names smile.gif I plan to sign up wink.gif

the desoto events will be easy to attend, our in-laws live in springtown, the mineral wells events might be a little tougher, but I like that area so I'll be trying to attend as much as I can.
carr914
Wayne, I would suggest that you go to a DE to check it out 1st. DE's aren't for everybody and it won't cost you anything but some gas to check one out.

I budget $1,000 a weekend to do a DE - DE registration fees, car prep, DE Insurance, Hotel, Meals, Gas - it adds up quick.

Personally, I'm about done with Instructing after 21 years. There is very little you can actually teach someone whose car (the New Porsches) can correct all their mistakes.

T.C.
bandjoey
Hi Wayne. Talk to Clay. He and Betty are active in PCA in the metroplex and know who (if not them) you should talk to. There are a lot of 914's in the group here.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 1 2009, 06:38 PM) *

Wayne, I would suggest that you go to a DE to check it out 1st. DE's aren't for everybody and it won't cost you anything but some gas to check one out.

I budget $1,000 a weekend to do a DE - DE registration fees, car prep, DE Insurance, Hotel, Meals, Gas - it adds up quick.

Personally, I'm about done with Instructing after 21 years. There is very little you can actually teach someone whose car (the New Porsches) can correct all their mistakes.

T.C.

wow, thanks for the reality check! I'll definately check out a DE before I make that investment. I'd never really looked into what all the PCA did... didn't seem logical, since my car didn't run biggrin.gif

Bill, I plan on talking with Clay about it, I've figured out if he and Betty don't know something about porsches going on locally, then they probably know who does. I also have met travis and robyn, who I see are also active PCA members locally.
degreeoff
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 1 2009, 05:44 PM) *

T.C.

wow, thanks for the reality check! I'll definately check out a DE before I make that investment. I'd never really looked into what all the PCA did... didn't seem logical, since my car didn't run biggrin.gif

Bill, I plan on talking with Clay about it, I've figured out if he and Betty don't know something about porsches going on locally, then they probably know who does. I also have met travis and robyn, who I see are also active PCA members locally.

WTF.gif

My last event was $265 signup, my tires were $100 (used) and the gas + food lodging @ $150 (now add 120) for another night and I am at $500 ish. I can use the tires for another event to boot!

Now it was a two day event but.....?????
I am NOT trying to start anything here but that sounds steep. BTW what is DE insurance?
blink.gif
Josh
jmill

av-943.gif

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 1 2009, 01:27 PM) *

I only went to one DE day in the early 90's. It cost me $800 just for a new set of tires when I was done. Brand new Z rated Goodyears chibble up pretty easy. Chunks were coming off the outside tread on all 4 tires. I must have been rolling those things pretty good.

I graduated to an SR with shaved Yokohamas. Racing is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
ClayPerrine
A DE here is just a bunch of guys doing laps on the track. You get an instructor for a long time, like years. Eventually you graduate to the higher levels and you get to lap by yourself. And you only get limited areas where you can pass, because it is NOT racing. And if you want to run a harness, you have to have a race seat, and a second harness and race seat for the instructor. PCA national rules won't let you run a harness with the stock seats, so you run 35 year old seat belts and slide all over the place.

It is somewhere in the 300.00 an event range. Plus gas, tires, hotel, etc. They hold them at Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, and Eagles Canyon... way north west of Fort Worth. I would suggest you contact Jim Meyer, he is one of the DE instructors, and he has a black flared six. He hangs out some at Wes' shop.

If you want to race, I suggest you start with the Autocross school in Feb. Then go to a few autocross and time trial events. They are cheaper, and probably as much fun.
Plus, we have time trials at Motorsport ranch, so you can run the track without the cost of running a DE.

carr914
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Dec 1 2009, 08:51 PM) *

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 1 2009, 05:44 PM) *

T.C.

WTF.gif

My last event was $265 signup, my tires were $100 (used) and the gas + food lodging @ $150 (now add 120) for another night and I am at $500 ish. I can use the tires for another event to boot!

Now it was a two day event but.....?????
I am NOT trying to start anything here but that sounds steep. BTW what is DE insurance?
blink.gif
Josh

The way I figure my budget - Hotel for 2 nights ( the night before and the night of - most of our DE are 2 days) DE fees, Tires, Gas, Food and maintenance to the car after the fact. You are correct that you are at about $500 in costs relating to the event, but did not include maintenance. What happens (slippery slope) is you want to go faster, stop quicker, corner better - that all costs money. And it never stops. And this doesn't even consider if you miss a shift and Fuch up your motor. A track motor will last about 10% of what a street motor will.

DE Insurance is available from 2 sources that I know of - 1 that PCA just set up (it runs about $200 a weekend). It is Very Important to note that your regular car insurance will Not cover you for any incident at a DE. It may be called a Driver Education, there is limited passing and is not a race, but insurance companies will not pay any claims for damage done on a Racetrack.

T.C.
tat2dphreak
thanks clay, I don't want to re-dedicate my car to a race car... I should have said what is the cheapest way to legally drive my car in a manner which would not be legal with the general public. smile.gif

I have met Jim, I think.

I can probably do the $300 event, depending on the cost of the tires. my in-laws live in springtown, so the desoto track isn't a problem. mineral wells I can handle the hotel ...

1000 would be kinda steep tho.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 1 2009, 08:27 PM) *

thanks clay, I don't want to re-dedicate my car to a race car... I should have said what is the cheapest way to legally drive my car in a manner which would not be legal with the general public. smile.gif

I have met Jim, I think.

I can probably do the $300 event, depending on the cost of the tires. my in-laws live in springtown, so the desoto track isn't a problem. mineral wells I can handle the hotel ...

1000 would be kinda steep tho.

The Autocross events are on a sunday, and only cost about 30 bucks to get started.

smile.gif

carr914
QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 1 2009, 08:54 PM) *

av-943.gif

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 1 2009, 01:27 PM) *

I only went to one DE day in the early 90's. It cost me $800 just for a new set of tires when I was done. Brand new Z rated Goodyears chibble up pretty easy. Chunks were coming off the outside tread on all 4 tires. I must have been rolling those things pretty good.

Never use Brand New tires for a track event. The tire tread is too tall and the tire will chunk. Put at least 1,500 miles on a set of street tires, have them shaved or get track tires.

And I would never again run Used tires.

T.C.
carr914
I was in the 1st class that was recognized as a National training ground in 2003. It was put on by Pete Tremper, a cool 914 guy from New Jersey. I have PCA National DE License #14 - how cool is that.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
naro914
Hey TC,
Your a National instructor? Good for you! Nadine and I took the class the first year too. Pete is a great guy, puts a lot into the PCA DE program. and yes, a really good 914 racer.

He now races a 964 - always says any monkey can go fast in the 964, but it takes a real racer to race a 914....

You can also go to www.trackschedule.com for some DE events. Not sure how far around the US Coco covers.
6freak
skills day would be good for too. driving.gif ..again get with your local PCA ...there alot of fun and you can really learn alot about he handling characteristics of the 914 on street tires.Then do AX`s for a year then head for the track driving.gif ...... I found on the track you dont really want to spin they dont like that very much and some will ask you to go home if you do it twice in the same day.(Oregon BMW club).AX you can let it all hang out and leave nothing on the table and no ones on your ass wanting to pass....Its low speed and you get the same feel as far as when the car is about to go around and you can learn to correct it before you go to the big track and are do`n 80+ mph ...last but not least there all very fun so dont forget your E-Tickits you`ll spend all of them
bandjoey
Feb 27and Mar 14. AX school in dfw
If u don't have Travis and Robin's email PM me yours and i'll forward her email about this to U. Robins the AX chair for schools next year.
tat2dphreak
Robin already contacted me, looks like I'm going to school biggrin.gif

I promised to let her drive my teener anyway wink.gif
ClayPerrine
You do realize that both Travis (Thoward914) and Robyn (red86944) are members here.

Travis has a 914, and Robyn has her water pumper, but we still let her hang out with the cool 914 people. poke.gif
tat2dphreak
yea, I know biggrin.gif that's how robyn knew I was looking too.

I met them a couple years ago.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.