Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT 98 VW Cabrio broken
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
I am about to buy a car, really cheap.
Its a 1998 VW cabrio.
150k, 5 speed standard transmission.
This is for my daughter, so yes, its a chick car...but she will look good.

Anyways.
The car only goes up to 35 mph and then stalls out.
Pepboys...the most awesome mechanics on earth...replace the MAF and some EGR2 sensor/valve..

To me it sounds ignition related..
Cam sensor. crank sensor or speed sensor.

Anyone more educated than me care to guess?

Cap'n??

Rich
jk76.914
My daughter has a 99 Cabrio. Left her stranded a couple of times with symptoms similar to yours, but not exactly the same.

1st time it was the fuel pump. Replaced it, and it was find for maybe 18 months. You can replace it from inside the trunk, by the way.

2nd time (18 months later) it was ignition. The cap was a mess of carbon inside. Replace it, the wires, and the plugs for good meaure. It's been fine for the last 3 years.

(Interestingly, when I did the cap, I noticed that it was VERY similar to the 914 cap, except that it has a conductive shield over it, AND the towers are built for high energy wires. Well, my 914 has been running a Bosch cap for 99 VW, which fits perfectly. I had magne-core wires built for 914 2.0 but for that cap. They build to order anyway, so they are fine with using a different end. I'll post a pic, but I've kinda hijacked this enough for now.)

Cap'n Krusty
Is the check engine light on? If you remove the O2 sensor and drive the car, does the problem go away, or even just improve? This is an OBD 2 car, so scanning it with a proper scanner in the hands of someone who knows VWs should get you some answers. Get me some codes, with ALL the text that accompanies them, and I can probably help you.

The Cap'n
r_towle
lol

I gotta get the car first...
I should be picking it up in a day or two.

Rich
scotty b
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 2 2009, 01:11 PM) *

lol

Rich

Horse THEN cart................. poke.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 2 2009, 06:08 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 2 2009, 01:11 PM) *

lol

Rich

Horse THEN cart................. poke.gif

Not really.
I like to know how much it will cost me to fix it BEFORE I buy it.
Seems like a sensor of some sort...
Ignition or maybe fuel...

The price is right, the communication is SLOOOOOOOW
I should get it soon.
If not, no big deal.

Scotty.
Serious question.
Plaid...she wants it plaid...all of it.
I was thinking base color she chooses, then let her do the design with vinyl...
We can always take off all the vinyl once she realizes her mistake..

OR
Can it be painted with less time/cost?

Rich
scotty b

blink.gif You kiddin me holmes ?? IF she really I mean REALLY wants the whole car done up in a plaid scheme, I wouldn't even entertain trying to paint that. Go Vinyl. Like you said, when she realizes what she has created, hopefully the vinyl can be removed without damaging the paint. Not my area so I really don't know how that stuff works. You can also suggest another option to her.......
dflesburg
my daughter has a 97 cabrio.

I think that your timing belt is about to go out. I modiifed her car to make changing that easier. (never put the lower cover back on.)

I hope to buy one of these as a daily driver someday soon as they are great cars.
r_towle
Didnt get it...
There was a guy ahead of me that got it this morning.

Oh well...I never get bummed about projects I DONT get...

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Dec 4 2009, 09:45 AM) *

my daughter has a 97 cabrio.

I think that your timing belt is about to go out. I modiifed her car to make changing that easier. (never put the lower cover back on.)

I hope to buy one of these as a daily driver someday soon as they are great cars.

What in the discussion led you to think the timing belt was about to go out?

The Cap'n
oldschool
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 4 2009, 03:38 PM) *

Didnt get it...
There was a guy ahead of me that got it this morning.

Oh well...I never get bummed about projects I DONT get...

Rich
So funny I also have a 90 cab, that's is my daughters, when we pick it up I had the cv changed ran it for 3/4 years now it has a problem,We can't diagnose.
even though we paid a mechanic to find the problem.

The car if it sits for a week or 2 the car won't start. and some times the tech and the gas gauge won't work,but when it comes on everything is fine.
if after it fires up and the gauges don't come on, the car will die. headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.