Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel starvation while turning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
when i throw the car into moderately long, hard, and sustained turns, the engine feels like it is starved for fuel. it will never die, simply it loses almost all power until i straighten out.

what i've done:

-checked timing (fine)
-fuel pressure at 30 psi
-new fuel filter

obviously, i can't check the fuel pressure while turning (actually, maybe that's not so obvious. i could probably rig a hose into the cockpit....) -- it just feels like fuel starvation..

any ideas? thanks,

nathan

ps car is a 75 2.0 (Djet)

btw, i'm open to the possibility that this may not be a fuel delivery problem, but i recently went through the ignition system, installed a crane xr700, cleaned up grounds, new FI points, etc.
TheCabinetmaker
Is this a new problem since you upgraded the ignition system?
nebreitling
good question. the answer is:

i don't know.

i upgraded the ignition and changed the FI trigger points at the same time because the car started running horribly. now it runs like a champ in a straight line, coughs in the corners.
Jeffs9146
Maybe something in the tank? Low oil pressure? Bad ground on fuel pump? Loose wire on Ign?

???? confused24.gif

Jeff
nebreitling
okay, it's not a dip in fuel pressure that's causing this. (you do NOT want to know what i just did to check this cool.gif ). checked the grounds and relays and such. ditto on the fuel pump ground. all good, didn't fix the prob. tank is totally clean, the fuel filter i replaced today was spotless when i cut it open. no hoses kinked...

i'm gonna pull that rat's nest i call my FI harness and clean it up. i'll get to the bottom of it yet..
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Mar 19 2004, 04:06 PM)
when i throw the car into moderately long, hard, and sustained turns,
btw, i'm open to the possibility that this may not be a fuel delivery problem,

So, it's both, right & left turns?

.......b
nebreitling
WELL, as of my last test drive, i can only replicate the effect in a left turn. which, to my probably-over-simplistic understanding of things, suggests that i should look for connections that may be getting loose given inertia to the right. (total shadetree, here)

also, i was able to replicate it in a parking lot with a sustained loop (again, to the left). after feeling it for a while, it feels more like one cylinder is missing... this also explains why it will never stall. i'm about to go back outside and check the FI connections...
TheCabinetmaker
Nathan, I know this sounds crazy, but, have you checked the air filter? A clogged one drove me nuts for a few months. going up hill,just die, turning right, just die. replaced filter, no more just die.

Curt
nebreitling
hell, nothing's too crazy in troubleshooting. that's not it, though, just replaced the air filter... (K+N baby! that atleast good for another 0.45 hp!)
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Mar 19 2004, 07:52 PM)
(K+N baby! that atleast good for another 0.45 hp!)

LMAO laugh.gif
SirAndy
cylinder head temp sensor is loose (or the connector to it) ... wink.gif
Bruce Allert
agree.gif w/ Andy
OR...
check the connection to the AAR. If that's getting a "slight" short (slight or intermittant exposure of a bare connector/wire) it can give problems with power loss as it vibrates or moves across an area.

.......b
John
what kind of turn? A sustained high speed turn? Is this a new problem? If it is only in sustained high speed turns, possibly it is a reduction or loss of oil pressure due to the oil running away from the pick-up tube. Do you hae a "deep sump" or anything special at the pick-up?

Are all your fuel hoses anchored enough to keep them from kinking under turning conditions? Could the fuel line (rubber hose) kink only when turning? Could a line be being pinched by the steering rack or the sway-bar as the car is turned? (I had one that had a fuel line pinched between the bottom of the tank and the top of the sway bar and drove me nuts for about a day while I searched for the problem......

I wish you the best of luck in finding your problem.

Johnman
nebreitling
FOUND IT!! smilie_pokal.gif

f-ckedup connection to the #4 injector. did a quick fix, still need to pull the harness and give it a little, errr, 'refreshing'.

my car now goes like rush limbaugh in an oxycontin factory.

except it's a lot lighter, and turns sharper.

power oversteer!!! woo hooo!!! burnout.gif
Bruce Allert
Good Job, beer.gif Good sleuthing.... smash.gif now go fix sumpin else! smilie_pokal.gif

.........b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.