Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MN transmission rebuild clinic?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
So, Noel's folks live in Fulda, MN. Middle of no where, but it is a pretty nice place. They have a large garage and I think that it would be no problem at all to swing a rebuild clinic there come spring early summer (May/June). Any of you ice lovers interested? idea.gif

Did I just open the flood gates?
Dr Evil
It is in the lower left hand corner of the state near SD, not far from IA and WI idea.gif
ottox914
I'd be interested- what is involved, whats covered, whats the deal? I could bring a couple side shifters along- one to build for the turbo 914, one for parts and to mess with. Is the idea to bring one along and we re-build it? I'd like to flip a 5th gear set into 3rd to give me a slightly shorter 3rd for autocross.
rick 918-S
You kiddin? Since my transaxle just developed a serious problem I'm sure I would be in.

Brad Mayeur rebuilt this one with a billet intermediate plate and an HB 5th. I got about 25000 miles on it. I was pretty mean to it in Monument National Park. driving.gif After I returned from Red Rocks I took it on a 200 mile run. About 40 miles from home I down shifted from 5th and let out the clutch. It sounded like an old truck tranny from the 40's. It was howling and whinning. Very hard shifting now. I think the bearing in the intermediate plate failed. I'd have to say I put it in the hurt locker. dry.gif

Brad did a great job on this one. I got over 25000 miles on a 901 behind my 928 torque monster. I was going to send it back to him in February or March. But if your having a clinic I may just have to try to fix it myself.

Dr Evil
David, click on the links below in my sig to see what has been done and is involved. You basically have the idea, though. Bring some boxes, rebuild them, be happy.

Oh Rick, Brad is a Jedi master, no doubt. You probably wronged the box, but we can get you set up. I am serious. I need to check on if it is cool with Noel's folks, but I am having no doubt that it will be. So I guess we are just waiting on chappy, then I will have all 3 of you guys in the area rolleyes.gif
Numbchux
hmmm.....I might be interested. But that is a long freakin way away! I ran an Autocross in Windom a couple years ago, and boy that was a haul.

I probably won't use a porsche transmission if this project ever gets off the ground....but I'd still like to see how they work! Depending on the timing with the rally team, I might have a need to be in that part of the world. In which case I'd love to be there!
ottox914
The earlier the better, as it sounds like Rick and I need a little "trans" in our transportation to get back on the road, and I'm looking to get the turbo 914 back into the autocross grids asap! I could probably make an april date, but if you are limited to may or june, lets shoot for sometime in may. Keep us posted.
iamchappy
Shouldn't be much of a problem for me, I make that drive almost every weekend during hunting season.

I need to acquire a few things for my stock geared transmission like an LSD and Intermediate plate if i decide to beef it up.

My short gear transmission already has the LSD but not the intermediate plate. Both
still shift fine, the stock transmission only has about 5,000 miles on it's last rebuild so
that one may only need the intermediate plate and LSD added to it.

The learning experience alone on how to rebuild one is worth it to me.
Phoenix-MN
I have two type 911 transmissions to go through. Internals should be almost the same.

I'm in

Paul
Dr Evil
901/11 boxes are fine smile.gif
lotus_65
i have one to rebuild...
very cool of you to offer, good dr.
Dr Evil
Do we have a quorum yet?
lotus_65
looks like it from my couch.
ottox914
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Dec 3 2009, 08:11 AM) *

Shouldn't be much of a problem for me, I make that drive almost every weekend during hunting season.

I need to acquire a few things for my stock geared transmission like an LSD and Intermediate plate if i decide to beef it up.

My short gear transmission already has the LSD but not the intermediate plate. Both
still shift fine, the stock transmission only has about 5,000 miles on it's last rebuild so
that one may only need the intermediate plate and LSD added to it.

The learning experience alone on how to rebuild one is worth it to me.

What LSD are you using, where'd you get it, how much $$$, do you like it, and have you considered an alternate LSD for the next one, such as if you have a gear type, any thoughts of switching to a clutch type for the next box, or vice versa, and why?

(that was one crazy run on sentence...)
iamchappy
Dont know...... Transmission came with the car with M,S,Z gears and i have never had it opened up.

I think i would like to keep that box as is and build up the stock box with LSD and a HD intermediate plate.

I am considering trying a Kevlar clutch disc for better holding power.
vintage914racer
I'm definitely interested.
Dr Evil
Cool. This is not dead yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.