Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MidEngine ShootOut 2010
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
DanT
As before this event would be held in conjunction with GGR/LPR/SVR AX events.

This time around I would like to see it include 914s and Boxsters.
914s, and Boxsters would each have their individual TTODs and then a combined TTOD for the midengined contingent.

This would bring in a huge number of cars/competitors from all around the area, and hopefully from areas further north and south as we did a couple of years ago for the 914 ShootOut.

Ideas and such should be posted here in this thread. Questions welcomed. smile.gif

I will check GGR/LPR/SVR AX schedules as they become available for 2010. I would be shooting for a two day event at either Marina or Alameda...
SirAndy
Will TTOD be a 914 or a Boxster?

I hear the Bay Area might see the first AX prepped Boxster to go below the 2000lbs mark pretty soon! w00t.gif

That, a good driver and sticky tires would put it into TTOD territory ...
idea.gif Andy
DanT
He has been working very hard on it. New Guard LSD just installed, and now for some more sawzall-smiley.gif gutting and such...
I might even be co-driving it for the ShootOut... smile.gif He needs a tire warmer lol-2.gif popcorn[1].gif
EdwardBlume
I'm down with it this year unless I sell out...
DanT
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 3 2009, 07:27 PM) *

I'm down with it this year unless I sell out...

uh............sell out? what is up with that...?
I thought you were going to finally drive that thing biggrin.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(DanT @ Dec 3 2009, 07:13 PM) *

He has been working very hard on it. New Guard LSD just installed, and now for some more sawzall-smiley.gif gutting and such...
I might even be co-driving it for the ShootOut... smile.gif He needs a tire warmer lol-2.gif popcorn[1].gif

Getting there. Bill C and I put it in 2nd and 4th place overall without an LSD in a 150 car field couple weeks ago. We beat all the Mod and Prepared class cars! We were less than half second off TTOD.

Dan I'm trying to decide who is the tire warmer? We went back and forth in the 914-6.

Almost time to go TTOD 914 hunting. On the right course the car screams. I easily have 150 lbs that can be removed.

Here is a little preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3uYEVnVf-E
DanT
yes we had a ton of fun that day Grant...
it was as much fun as the event as a whole...smile.gif
Heeltoe914
OK I am in. Looking forward to a real shootout.
DanT
Leamon, it would be great if you could make it up with old #22 smile.gif
Years ago with the hot type 4 in it, it was quite a formidable AX car...Now with the big motor, as long as you could get the power down, it might be tons of fun.
grantsfo
QUOTE(DanT @ Dec 4 2009, 04:07 PM) *

Leamon, it would be great if you could make it up with old #22 smile.gif
Years ago with the hot type 4 in it, it was quite a formidable AX car...Now with the big motor, as long as you could get the power down, it might be tons of fun.

Lets make sure we use Marina. happy11.gif
DanT
looking at mid June (12, 13) at Alameda...guys on slicks should like the asphalt there vs the cool concrete of Marina in July or August. smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(DanT @ Dec 16 2009, 08:17 AM) *

looking at mid June (12, 13) at Alameda...guys on slicks should like the asphalt there vs the cool concrete of Marina in July or August. smile.gif

Alameda is a good venue. thumb3d.gif

Plus, i can drive there on my schlicks as it's only 5 miles from my home ...
biggrin.gif Andy
ottox914
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 3 2009, 11:48 PM) *

QUOTE(DanT @ Dec 3 2009, 07:13 PM) *

Getting there. Bill C and I put it in 2nd and 4th place overall without an LSD in a 150 car field couple weeks ago. We beat all the Mod and Prepared class cars! We were less than half second off TTOD.

Dan I'm trying to decide who is the tire warmer? We went back and forth in the 914-6.

Almost time to go TTOD 914 hunting. On the right course the car screams. I easily have 150 lbs that can be removed.

Here is a little preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3uYEVnVf-E

Cool and interesting at the same time, Any links to more vids or build threads on other forums? I'd be interested to learn more about whatcha got going on there.

Unless its all classified triple top secret.
grantsfo
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Dec 16 2009, 03:44 PM) *

Cool and interesting at the same time, Any links to more vids or build threads on other forums? I'd be interested to learn more about whatcha got going on there.

I'm not very good with build threads. I'm a little ADD that way. But here's basics of the car.

Suspension/wheels & tires:

KW Variant II coilovers
GT3 control arms
GT3 front sway with Tarret links
Tarret Rear bar with end links
15x7 Phonedials with 23x9x15 cantilever slicks

Engine/trans:

Stock 2.5 liter
Metered and flowed injectors
Chinese headers
Cat delete
Steblo race exhaust
Wevo Engine mount
99 Backdated to 98 5 speed and Guard LSD
Wevo Tranny mounts
B&M short shifter
Run 100 octane race gas

FIberglass/CF decklids
Momo steering wheel
Recaro Race seat

TC Design Rear cage

This Boxster is almost completely gutted and weighs about 2300 lbs.

Its about same weight and power as an average 2.7 liter 914-6 that still has interior, but with much better suspension. Amazing thing aboiut Boxster is when it goes below about 2400 lbs it starts to feel a lot more like a 914. It has that quick response and ability to recover more quickly. Boxster street cars really turned me off with slow reactions etc.

EdwardBlume
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 21 2009, 12:34 PM) *

QUOTE(ottox914 @ Dec 16 2009, 03:44 PM) *

I'm not very good with build threads. I'm a little ADD that way. But here's basics of the car.

Suspension/wheels & tires:

KW Variant II coilovers
GT3 control arms
GT3 front sway with Tarret links
Tarret Rear bar with end links
15x7 Phonedials with 23x9x15 cantilever slicks

Engine/trans:

Stock 2.5 liter
Metered and flowed injectors
Chinese headers
Cat delete
Steblo race exhaust
Wevo Engine mount
99 Backdated to 98 5 speed and Guard LSD
Wevo Tranny mounts
B&M short shifter
Run 100 octane race gas

FIberglass/CF decklids
Momo steering wheel
Recaro Race seat

TC Design Rear cage

This Boxster is almost completely gutted and weighs about 2300 lbs.

Its about same weight and power as an average 2.7 liter 914-6 that still has interior, but with much better suspension. Amazing thing aboiut Boxster is when it goes below about 2400 lbs it starts to feel a lot more like a 914. It has that quick response and ability to recover more quickly. Boxster street cars really turned me off with slow reactions etc.

Nice work Grant. It looks like from your build sheet that you built an awesome racer. I look forward to watching you run.
SirAndy
Why the race gas if it's a stock 2.5L motor?

idea.gif Andy
grantsfo
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 22 2009, 03:53 PM) *

idea.gif Andy

Ah the wonders of modern high compression motors with variable timing! LOL!
SirAndy
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 22 2009, 07:55 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 22 2009, 03:53 PM) *

idea.gif Andy

Ah the wonders of modern high compression motors with variable timing! LOL!

So who did the remapping for you? idea.gif

Do tell!
poke.gif biggrin.gif Andy
ottox914
I saw some notes about this build and motor over on Jakes site, and wondered the same thing about the race gas...
bam914
We ran 100 in Jake's 996 and it made no difference. Maybe if the computer had some learn time it might help.
grantsfo
QUOTE(bam914 @ Dec 23 2009, 08:34 PM) *

We ran 100 in Jake's 996 and it made no difference. Maybe if the computer had some learn time it might help.

Yeah but you werent running crappy 91 octane California gas? I also have a few little tricks that have been done with injectors to optimize fuel air mixture for 100 octane.

I'm sure the difference is minimal but I'll take every little bit that counts right now. I may be moving from 11 to 1 stock heads to higher compression 13 to 1 heads and remap soon.
J P Stein
I'll be standing by (if distant) to watch the blowup.gif. Tho I've seen one before (in person), I still find it interesting. biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Yeah just wait until it gets forced induction. Then it will truly be a ticking time bomb.
grantsfo
Little peak of a the work on my Boxster AX/Track car that has a 914 identity crisis.

IPB Image
Justinp71

I plan to be there! It sounds awesome.
SirAndy
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jan 19 2010, 02:13 PM) *

Little peak of a the work on my Boxster AX/Track car that has a 914 identity crisis.

It'll be worth the admission just to see you climb over that top bar!

lol-2.gif Andy
grantsfo
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 21 2010, 09:51 AM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jan 19 2010, 02:13 PM) *

It'll be worth the admission just to see you climb over that top bar!

lol-2.gif Andy

Lots of practice with the 914 which had much taller bar. There is actually a lot more room in this car. I'm a fairly agile big dude. It runs in my family my cousin was fairly good tightend with the 49ers. And you should see my dance moves at the clubs. piratenanner.gif Getting into this car will be easy.
Chris Hamilton
Damn grant you had me worried about that boxster until you decided to add a truckload of steel! biggrin.gif

I'd hate to have to run around an autocross with that on my back!

( sarcasm alert, I'm just poking fun at ya )
grantsfo
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Jan 21 2010, 03:39 PM) *

Damn grant you had me worried about that boxster until you decided to add a truckload of steel! biggrin.gif

I'd hate to have to run around an autocross with that on my back!

( sarcasm alert, I'm just poking fun at ya )

Chris, it's thinner gauge than the cage I had before - it's substatially lighter than spec cages that have to use heavier gauge tubing. Remember I'm actually running car in class to be competitive. It's a FP car for AX and is very close to class min weight,

And because I run hillclimbs I must have SCCA roadrace legal cage. If I go off in a hillclimb I want some protection.

And be worried. Car is fast. With more power it could chase smurf effectively. It has some moves 914 will be hard pressed to match.
DanT
car is coming along nicely Grant....really looking forward to seeing it in the flesh...and maybe getting some laps in it... smile.gif
grantsfo
Another shot of the car that will make mid engine shootout a little more of a shootout rather than a 914 slaughter fest.

IPB Image

DanT
OK, norcal sportfans...
time is approaching fast.
get your cars off of jackstands and be ready to run with the big dawgs... biggrin.gif
orchid914
I will com on out so you have someone to kick around.

Is there a prize for winning the over 60 crowd??

John

driving.gif
DanT
Probably John...we had the over 55 shootout last time and I won that one happy11.gif
I might have a shot at it again in PB.... smile.gif
orchid914
QUOTE(DanT @ Apr 11 2010, 05:06 PM) *

Probably John...we had the over 55 shootout last time and I won that one happy11.gif
I might have a shot at it again in PB.... smile.gif

I think so....the Pirate Boxster is really looking good.

John

driving.gif
DanT
going to be looking for sponsors, since one of the main sponsors is no longer on the radar dry.gif
also will need someone to run point for hats and/or T-shirts for the midengined crowd.
DanT
don't forget about this ....only a few weeks away.

time to get out your 914 and actually drive it, instead of polishing or looking at it... biggrin.gif

register here

registration
koozy
Rally the troops, folks. Tell your friends... Shootout is more than just an AX. It's braggin rights for the rest of the year. This aint no pea-shootin event. It a full-on fight to the finish with scores of mid-engine monsters to try your skills. Will it be David or Goliath? Two-Face or Batman... Mice or men... Let fear be your motivator... Come one, come all. Just showing up won't cut it. Bring your A-game and give it your all. At least you can say ya did. If you don't play, you can't win.

Ready... Set.... GO!!!!

IPB Image

register here

registration

J P Stein
Ah, but if we don't go, we can poormouth the event for lack of competition. biggrin.gif

I learned that ploy from a CA 914 puke from the last Shootout ( 2009) and will try it out on you'z guys.
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 25 2010, 09:57 AM) *

Ah, but if we don't go, we can poormouth the event for lack of competition. biggrin.gif

I learned that ploy from a CA 914 puke from the last Shootout ( 2009) and will try it out on you'z guys.

Problem with that is the two cars that have beat the Poop Bucket will be there! LOL! ...Let the excuses rip JP! And I think only one working thier poormouthing lately has been Old Import Tuner dude in the Northwest. Kind of is fitting for aging ricer crowd to be cussing and spitting about our event rather than driving in it!
Britain Smith
Which cars might that be? I can count only 1.

-Britain
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ May 26 2010, 02:58 PM) *

-Britain

Gonna make it champ?
J P Stein
QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 26 2010, 02:00 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 25 2010, 09:57 AM) *

Problem with that is the two cars that have beat the Poop Bucket will be there! LOL! ...Let the excuses rip JP! And I think only one working thier poormouthing lately has been Old Import Tuner dude in the Northwest. Kind of is fitting for aging ricer crowd to be cussing and spitting about our event rather than driving in it!

Do you put your Boxster in that category? You can't even take TTOD in a local PCA event....a one *lucky* hit wonder. What's the matter, too many/too tight corners?
brilliantrot
Correct me if I am wrong here as I don't need to join the pissing match but the cars that have beat the Sh$t Box that are relevant to this thread are the Hamilton's 914, Vic's BMW, and Grant's PB. Did I miss any? Mechanical issues with the Sh$t Box aside, considering the disparity in development between Grant's car and the Sh$t Box, I am forced to conclude that a Boxster in this day an age is a better platform for building a race car.

-Evan Fullerton
J P Stein
The Vic addition was interesting. His first GGR PCA "test session" just happened to be at the Shoot Out. Never did figure how he ended up there, or why. He had to have been invited as GGR is supposedly Porsche only. He beat all the Porsches for the 2 day.....tho the box was 1 & 1 with him. We get beat regular like at SCCA events so cars that beat the shitbox are not rare. Don't make us happy but we've learned to live with it. Not till this year have we gotten a piece of some hot CSP/DP Miatas.

So, go buy a Boxster & get busy. biggrin.gif Talk is free & easy, building a race car is neither. There's plenty of Maitas for all, go get em'. biggrin.gif
brilliantrot
I only included Vic's car as it could be an XP car and there is some (likely remote) chance that he would be at this years shoot out.

Once my ungodly expensive, beast of a 993 RSR goes away, I will be likely build an AP2 S2000 for STR or CSP if the rules proposal goes through. I just can't resign myself to a miata, even a NC. They certainly are cheap speed but I don't love them.

While I was really impressed with Grant's boxster, I will hold off on building one until more data is in on long term engine reliability. While it may be a better platform than a 914-6, having to pick between the two I would still likely go with the -6, put in a g50 and try and out drive the competition as I hate replacing engines more than I like being competative. The leading reason I sold my 914-4 in the first place was engine reliability. 7.5k RPM T4s really are hand grenades but oh so much fun during the short time between rebuilds biggrin.gif
grantsfo
STR is good class. Lots of good competition, good selection of fun cars and fairly affordable to build a national class car. S2000 is excellent car.

In fact Vic has run XP with me in UFO events.

grantsfo
QUOTE(RobW @ May 26 2010, 03:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Britain Smith @ May 26 2010, 02:58 PM) *

-Britain

Gonna make it champ?

Hey how about you stranger? I miss hearing sound of that twin plug 2.5
sean_v8_914
will the course be well coned out or will it be SCCA style with open boxes and such? I get cone blind with all that nonsence
grantsfo
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ May 27 2010, 01:14 AM) *

will the course be well coned out or will it be SCCA style with open boxes and such? I get cone blind with all that nonsence

Depends on who designs course. Talk to Joe and Chris. I'm all in favor of SCCA like course. GGR people who advocate crazy over coned courses should be caned.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.