Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Resevoir strap finish.. what's correct?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
tod914
Was pokeing around the front trunk thread and noticed 3 different finishes for the strap. Seen black, silver (polished), and yellow cadium. Were they different depending upon year?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Dec 3 2009, 08:20 PM) *

Was pokeing around the front trunk thread and noticed 3 different finishes for the strap. Seen black, silver (polished), and yellow cadium. Were they different depending upon year?

Good question!

Satin black on my 72, but have also seen "cad", and even a gray finish. Never saw a polished silver one, though it could be done by stripping to bare metal & using Simichrome.
smg914
Satin Black on the 1973 Sahara Beige car.
Porsche Rescue
Not to nag Steve, but I sure am looking forward to a detailed bio on your Sahara car.
VoPo914
Cad Yellow on the '75.
dcheek
Tod,
Satin black on my '76.

Dave
914Sixer
Early cars mostly had yellow cad plating. I have seen both black and cad on cars from the same year also. I think they used what used on the line.
Tom_T
Well mine has a nice coating of rust on it! biggrin.gif

...so I got one of Engman's SS straps to eliminate or reduce that problem caused by the caustic nature of brake fluids (not to mention sitting on blocks for 24 years), which I suppose I could paint either satin black or a CAD plate color, or just keep it shiny like my SSI HEs.

IMHO - even with the CW & originality concerns - in some cases the "fix" should be a better material than the OEM part - esp. when the part is NLA, &/or when it makes more sense.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Dec 4 2009, 09:25 AM) *

Not to nag Steve, but I sure am looking forward to a detailed bio on your Sahara car.

agree.gif
Ditto Steve - & how about a nice set of pix to go with the Bio in this O&H Forum, as a great OE example 914. ....plus you may still have a few of your prior OE pristine 914s in your files which you could post as well on separate threads here. smile.gif

smilie_pokal.gif
Steve's & a few others still in "unmolested as delivered" condition (Dave Cheek's 76, some at AA, etc.) are certainly worthy of a Nailed Thread for each chock full of pix & info for quick reference on stuff!

idea.gif What thinx you Mr. Mod. Pat???? confused24.gif
MDG
satin black on the '73 and cad yellow on the '76
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 4 2009, 05:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Dec 4 2009, 09:25 AM) *

agree.gif
Ditto Steve - & how about a nice set of pix to go with the Bio in this O&H Forum, as a great OE example 914. ....plus you may still have a few of your prior OE pristine 914s in your files which you could post as well on separate threads here. smile.gif

smilie_pokal.gif
Steve's & a few others still in "unmolested as delivered" condition (Dave Cheek's 76, some at AA, etc.) are certainly worthy of a Nailed Thread for each chock full of pix & info for quick reference on stuff!

idea.gif What thinx you Mr. Mod. Pat???? confused24.gif

You know what - you're right! Needs to be done. I'll set up a nailed thread for these cars, but they MUST be original & unmolested.

Steve....yours should be first.
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 4 2009, 12:13 PM) *

Early cars mostly had yellow cad plating. I have seen both black and cad on cars from the same year also. I think it was use what you have on the line.

From a '70/4, build date 01.70.............
smg914
I believe its time for me to get off my ass and do a little write up on the Sahara Beige car. Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm not exactly sure what the proper format should be. I want to make sure its all about the car and not self serving in anyway. I'm not comfortable with using the words "I" and "me" when I write about my cars. I would appreciate if someone would tell me the best format (what type of information) to use and still stay within the boundaries of the O&H forum.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 5 2009, 09:19 PM) *

I believe its time for me to get off my ass and do a little write up on the Sahara Beige car. Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm not exactly sure what the proper format should be. I want to make sure its all about the car and not self serving in anyway. I'm not comfortable with using the words "I" and "me" when I write about my cars. I would appreciate if someone would tell me the best format (what type of information) to use and still stay within the boundaries of the O&H forum.

"Every picture tells a story, don't it?"

Pics, lotsa pics. and just title the thread with the VIN, MY, and color. drooley.gif
Porsche Rescue
You are part of the story. I don't know much, but you found/bought it. History of the car is most important. The color alone makes the car special in my view. A little "proud father" boasting is always acceptable. While pics are great, the story is equally important.
tod914
Steve, a write up on each of the car's past and present owners (aka yourself), would be great to pass along with the car. Just as important in the car's history. This way, down the road, people can appreciate the car for more that just being a well preserved piece of metal. After all, it's the owers who preserved this car.
This is one that certianly should be documented with pictures. Showing every little detail of it's originality. You could probally do publication on this one for concours and originality enthuisists. Looking foward to see what you come up with.
Tom_T
QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 5 2009, 09:19 PM) *

Steve the I & me (& they) info. is important in what you/they have done to preserve, restore, maintain & otherwise keep that beauty in the condition it's in, & in how you/they approach the O&H issues relative to concours/showing the car.

Our telecon on just those types of issues a couple of months ago regarding tires/etc. was both EXTREMELY helpful & inspirational to one facing a daunting restoration project. So I'm positive that many others here would appreciate that sort of "here's how I did...." info. as well!

....that is, if you don't mind giving away too many of your smilie_pokal.gif secrets! biggrin.gif
smg914
Thanks guys. Hopefully I'm meeting everyones expectations over there in the O&H section right now.
tod914
Thanks again Steve. Really enjoying the thread. Please keep posting smile.gif I noticed a white plastic tool handle in your kit. Rather unique. My red car is also from California. Your posting is a perfect reference for me to bring it back to where it should be.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.