Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More bad luck (not so bad at all ) with my 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
SO I'm on my way back from lunch today and I'm pulling out and catch a pothole with my right rear wheel. I didn't realize how deep is was (I actually didn't see it), but it sounds like I bottomed out pretty good. I'm driving back and make one quick stop and notice that I've got some old smell and a little cloud. I get back and check it further and notice there's alot of oil dripping onto the heat exchangers. The valve cover looks slightly wet, but I'm afraid I may have damaged a push rod tube.

Anyone else have this experience?

Also, if it is a push rod tube, is there a 2 part tube that I could use to replace it without having to pull the head (and motor)?

I'll find out tomorrow as I was planning to check the fit on the tail light gaskets in the morning, but it's driving me nuts. I've never experienced a problem like this, and I fear it's going to be not to inexpensive to fix. To top this off the wife had to come get me and she's about had it with my "unreliable 914". I've ahd an alternator problem, fuel injection problems and a new trans installed, but I'm starting to think I may want to retire it as a daily driver and work out an inexpensive "work rig" as it's also not well suited for moving parts and materials around.

Just hasn't been a good day.
oldschool
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 3 2009, 11:48 PM) *

SO I'm on my way back from lunch today and I'm pulling out and catch a pothole with my right rear wheel. I didn't realize how deep is was (I actually didn't see it), but it sounds like I bottomed out pretty good. I'm driving back and make one quick stop and notice that I've got some old smell and a little cloud. I get back and check it further and notice there's alot of oil dripping onto the heat exchangers. The valve cover looks slightly wet, but I'm afraid I may have damaged a push rod tube.

Anyone else have this experience?

Also, if it is a push rod tube, is there a 2 part tube that I could use to replace it without having to pull the head (and motor)?

I'll find out tomorrow as I was planning to check the fit on the tail light gaskets in the morning, but it's driving me nuts. I've never experienced a problem like this, and I fear it's going to be not to inexpensive to fix. To top this off the wife had to come get me and she's about had it with my "unreliable 914". I've ahd an alternator problem, fuel injection problems and a new trans installed, but I'm starting to think I may want to retire it as a daily driver and work out an inexpensive "work rig" as it's also not well suited for moving parts and materials around.

Just hasn't been a good day.

hang in there brother aktion035.gif
rfuerst911sc
When trying to use a 30-40 year old car for a daily driver it should be understood that there are going to be issues to be worked out. It's amazing how we keep these cars going as many other brands of that era are long gone to the scrap heap. Take the wife out for a nice dinner it will do both of you some good. Now regarding push rod tubes yes 2 piece units are available so you don't have to pull the heads/motor. I hear these can be finnicky to install and I believe green viton seals are preferred. Good luck.
SGB
Push rod tube seals can be replaced fairly easily with the engine in the car. The head does not have to be removed either. It also could be the valve cover knocked eschew...
DNHunt
QUOTE(SGB @ Dec 4 2009, 04:50 AM) *

Push rod tube seals can be replaced fairly easily with the engine in the car. The head does not have to be removed either. It also could be the valve cover knocked eschew...

Yep, could be valve cover. Spend some time cleaning it up and then run it for a short time and look see. Valve cover is easy. Pushrod tubes are a more work but can be done with the motor in the car. Cleaning the bores in the case is the hardest part for me. Thankfully VW decided that the bore in the head should be bigger than the bore in the case so they slip in from the head side.

Dave
ottox914
Good advice so far from all. I totally agree, start with the simple things first, like clean and check the valve cover and seal. If you see damage or oil leaking that will confirm for you its the push rod tube, you CAN do them with the engine in the car, but some of the tubes don't give up easily.

You'll have to remove the valve cover, and the rocker arms. Use whatever you can to clean/blast out the areas in back of the head, and at the case, where the push rod installs with the seal. It could be pretty dirty, sandy, and gooky in there. Get it all as spotless as you can. You don't want any of that grime or grit getting into the engine, or damaging a seal when you put it back together. Use sprays, air, rags on a screwsriver, whatever it takes. Pull out the push rod, note which end goes in first for the re-install. Remove the offending push rod tube. Install new tube with new seals. If it won't "pop" in that last little bit, use the appropriately sized socket, slipping it into the head, to taptaptap the the end of the puchrod tube into place. Getting the old one out, depending on which one it is, can be like playing "twister" in a yugo. You may have to try several different ways to find the right angles to get the job done, and remove/replace the tube. Re-install the pushrod, seeing that it is seated in the lifter, put the rockers back on, re-adjust the clearances. Change the oil. Have a beer. Take your wife out for another dinner. Live happily ever after.

Thats what worked for me, any other tips I'm sure would be welcomed.
Mikey914
Got lucky only a valve cover gasket. Looked much worse than it was.
type47
Time to buy a lottery ticket...
charliew
Nice oil proof rubber gaskets would be good if they are not already available. Sorry I'm a better vw guy than a t4 guy I'm guessing the t4 is cork or thick paper like the stock vw stuff. My 914 t4 hasn't had my attention yet, it just gets moved in and out from the shop when it gets in the way right now. It may make a good dunebuggy motor though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.