Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 205/50/15 Victoracers on 5.5" rim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
Is this a bad idea for AX?
r_towle
I have 205/50/15 on riviera's

It was really hard to get them on the rim, but if they will fit go for it...
SirAndy
205 on 5.5 ? hmmm, i don't wanna be anywhere near you when that tires slips off that rim huh.gif

rule of thumb for tiresize:

a = wheelwidth * 2.54
size = a + (a * 0.25)

in your case:

a = 5.5 * 2.54 = 13.97
size = 13.97 + (3.4925) = 17.4625 = 175 tire

soooo, a 195 will still do, but a 205 is pushing it ...
r_towle
how wide are rivieras???
I remember the tire store guy did a similar calculation and said they would fit, but we are now at the limit of that rim
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 3 2003, 07:19 PM)
how wide are rivieras???
I remember the tire store guy did a similar calculation and said they would fit, but we are now at the limit of that rim

the above is not for the absolute max. but for a good fit. sooo, add a size or two and you're at the max. for that rim ...
r_towle
I do not know if rivieras are 6 inch or 5.5,,,but they have held the hoosiers for three years now with no slip ups, but they are only used in autocross, no track time. Just cant spring for the 7 " rims...

BTW Third place Im impressed
Bleyseng
They will fit but its not the best for autoxing as the sidewalls are soo far in. Not the ideal way to do it but it will work.
Try to find some 6" rims if you can or have them welded up out of steelies. Go though the classifieds and see whats available like Panasports, Centerlines as they look good and fit right.If doing it on the cheap, go for it.
Geoff
seanery
I had 205's on my fuchs with BFG R1's and had no problems.
Bleyseng
Yeah, I ran Dunlop SP8000's on em too plus I AX'ed with them. It does work just isn't the best cuz the sidewalk is pointing in to the rim.
Geoff
seanery
Hey man, is your avatar your car?

If so, do you have any more pics?
campbellcj
I did it successfully too, but I probably wouldn't have if 195/60R15 DOT-R tires were still available. I subsequently went to 15x6 and then 15x7 wheels, all with 205/50 rubber.

7" is 177.8mm so you still have over 1" of sidewall/tread bulge even with the 7's.
Bleyseng
Yes, but... the fit is way better with a 7" rim, don't you think Chris?
Geoff
seanery
Chris,

Your car is lookin pretty bitchin, too!

The bumpers painted up look goooood.
Are your pedals pedal covers or replacement pedals?
campbellcj
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 3 2003, 08:44 PM)
Yes, but... the fit is way better with a 7" rim, don't you think Chris?
Geoff

Yessir, 7's are just about perfect with 205's. I'm gonna run 205's on my 16x7's as well. I don't think I could squeeze the 215/40 Hoosiers under the fenders, even rolled n' pulled. So 205/45's are my plan.
campbellcj
QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 3 2003, 08:46 PM)
Chris,

Your car is lookin pretty bitchin, too!

The bumpers painted up look goooood.
Are your pedals pedal covers or replacement pedals?

Thanks, Sean...if I say so myself, it is coming together nicely. The pedals are from AJ-USA. The gas pedal is a complete replacement pedal, which is what drove me to buy them in the first place -- when I bought the car, the stock gas pedal was completely shot so I talked myself into an "upgrade". The brake and clutch are covers, that screw onto the (drilled) stock pedals once you remove the rubber pads.
Bleyseng
Chris Reale,
Dave Ellison runs his Kuhmo's on some steel rims that were widened to 6". Pretty nice set up for AX rims on the cheap to stay 4 bolt. Might ask him where and who did it for him, that way tires and rims won't break the bank and get you racing.
Geoff
ChrisReale
Yea, Ill ask Dave E. next time I see him. I am thinking about doing a 5 lug conversion as well, but ..... blink.gif
Bleyseng
I did the 5 bolt conversion on the cheap:
$600 for the rear hubs, bearings front & rear, 4 discs, studs
$450 for a set of nice 6x15 Fuchs (shipping included)
reused the Dunlop SP8000s

Geoff
Brad Roberts
I ran across a smoking nice set of 15X6 fuchs for 800$ tonight. They are a 8 out of 1-10 on the nice scale.

Using the 5.5 rim with a 205.. completely defeats the reason to run a 205. You end up with LESS tire on the ground than you would if used a 195. The sidewalls end up cupped badly.

Save your money Chris. 6's are in your future.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.