Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to reproduce targa finish?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
D1A3
Hi Guys,

Car is out of paint and looks AWESOME!!!

I need to refinish my targa top becuase there is an area that the finish has flaked off. What is the best product or process to reproduce the factory finish?

I talked to my paint guy tonight and he says everything he is used t using is a very uniform finish and the factory finish is way too random for any products he is currently using in the shop.

Ideas?

PS: Pics to come in the coming days as we get it back together!
iamchappy
i've had great results using truck bed liner sprayed out of my Wagner power painter, after it dries i rub it down with a scotchbrite pad, wash off the dust and use some mothers back to black and let it dull back naturally.
Spoke
I've used Rustoleum Hammered paint. It has a similar texture as the targa but does have a relatively glossy finish.
Joe Owensby
I completely refinished my top, as it had a hole in it from a tree limb that had fallen on it. After fiberglassing the hole and sanding it to the shape of the top, I had a fairly smooth top. So, I just sanded the entire top smooeh. I then used truck bed lliner material, that I rolled on with a paint roller. This gave almost the same bumpy texture as the factory finish. I don't remember, but I think the truck liner was glossy, so I sprayed over it with a semi gloss paint or bumper paint. This gave almost the same appearance as original. Two years ago, and still looks good. JoeO
charliew
Back in the 70's or so they had a fake vinyl top paint that looked pretty much like whats on the 914. You might check it out at a real auto paint store and see what they have. Also I bet George at AA is using something on his cars.
sean_v8_914
U-Poly Gravitex with Gravitex spray aplicator. dries satin black with similar texture. texture grain is easy to control.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/detailsupplydepot/dsd18.aspx
sean_v8_914
just ignore the debris. texture is difficult to capture on camera
zonedoubt
I wonder if something like this would work: http://www.dominionsureseal.com/productsde...95&catid=31

I used the aerosol on spoiler and valance and it gives a "schutz"-like finish.
charliew
Most undercoats will weather pretty bad if they aren't overcoated with a clear topcoat that is a semigloss I would think.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.