Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MPS replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rmital
is anyone running one of AA's 1973-76 2.0 Pressure Sensor..B039 906 051 ?
if so, how's it doin'?

My 914 has been running rich for a while, after going thru all the regular maintenance I decided to check the MPS. It slowly leaked or couldn't hold a vaccum.

I also realized it wasn't a 0 280 100 037 as I thought would have been on a '73 2.0L, it's a 0 280 100 043. Besides running rich, the car performed well. Of course, I wouldn't know how the car would perform with a 037 in it!

....SO....I have a spare 043 sitting on my shelf that's good. (going to install and try later on today)...of course, we'll be having our first snow storm so I would get to drive her too much.

but...if someone out there has purchase one of AA's rebuilds and says it's great, I might pull the trigger on getting one of those.
anyone??
SLITS
Ray .... see my PM.

Rebuilt .... well the proper parts for a rebuild are NOT Available. Brett Instruments (Now Fuel Injection Corp) had diaphrams stamped from steel for replacement. They do not have the same flex characteristics as the OEM diaphram.

The best way to "rebuild" an MPS is to find another (generally doesn't make any difference what the number is) that holds vacuum and remove the diaphrams from it to repair your old one. While the diaphram is used, it does have the correct flex characteristics.

I have had Python Industries "rebuild" MPSs. They don't seem to work quite as well as OE.

I wouldn't let Fuel Injection Corp touch any of my parts .... period!
914Sixer
Ray,
I might have a 037 and a used 250 ohm resistor. Let me look.
rmital
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 5 2009, 10:56 AM) *

Ray,
I might have a 037 and a used 250 ohm resistor. Let me look.

thanks...!
sean_v8_914
do you have the all matching 1973-exclusive D-Jet set up? WOT adjustment is different, cht, ballast resistor in line w/ cht...
rmital
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Dec 5 2009, 12:08 PM) *

do you have the all matching 1973-exclusive D-Jet set up? WOT adjustment is different, cht, ballast resistor in line w/ cht...

I'm going to verify when I get home today....but, the PO certainly did give me the impression it was bone stock...except for the 043 that is biggrin.gif
tod914
Ray, ask Jeff if he recalibrate it for you, or if it makes any difference by swapping it out from an 037 to an 043.
r_towle
Ray,
Get the number off your ECU. You have to take it out to do this.
Match the ECU to the proper MPS.

If you get stuck looking for a functioning MPS, you can go to a junkyard...look for the same year volvos, vw 411, and mercedes.
the mps is different, but the diaphram is the same.

This would require you to rebuild yours, but it can be a cheap way to do it...I have done it and it works fine...the diaphram is the key.

On second thought...I think the 411 only has the big diaphram...the one you want is the smaller one.

I went and pillaged a junkyard and brought a bunch home and took them all apart....the diaphrams are the same on "some" djet cars from that era.

OR,
I might be able to find you one locally...I know a few guys up here that might have them...dunno.

A buddy has the AA MPS "hot setup" and he wins the autox with the car.
AA also built his motor and trans....

Rich
saigon71
The best option is to buy a good used one - this site is a good resource to find one. Expect to spend $25-$80. Ask questions - I bought one advertised as "tested, working" but it would not hold vacuum. I bought three over that last few months and ended up with only one good one (for $65).

Another option would be to send a rebuildable core to Parts Heaven (partshvn@ix.netcom.com). They rebuild them for $165. I have not bought a rebuilt one, so I can't remark about performance - but I bet someone on this site has.

On the part numbers, reference the compatability chart on the Anders web site. Different numbers work with different ECU's but they are not ALL interchangeable.
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetp...tm#troubleshoot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.