Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: A2 Jetta Clutch Cable seems to have snapped
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
Sitting at a light last night, press in the clutch and "wham"! The clutch pedal drops to the floor and stays there. No clutch!

I can drive without a clutch, even in LA, and I got her home. happy11.gif

Was too dark last night to look at it. Going to put her up on ramps asap.

I assume the clutch cable went. I've owned the car ten years, and never changed it, so I would guess it's time.

Questions:

1) Could it be something else? It seems like there is a spring on the pedal that is pulling the pedal to the floor. Seems odd to me that it's sprung in that direction, but I might be missing something. I need to dig out the bentley anyway, but figured I'd ask.

2) Any tricks/tips to replacing the cable (assuming that's the issue)? And hints would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Cap'n Krusty
Remove the under dash panel on the left side. Remove the tranny end of the cable, if it's even there. If it's gone, you'll need the appropriate kit of attaching pieces. Thoroughly lube the new cable with something like tri-flow. Look under the dash and get a good look at the way the cable attaches to the clutch pedal, because you can't see it while your hand is in there. Unhook the old cable and pull it out through the firewall, saving any washers and/or spacers. You will probably need them for the new one. Put the new one in, and the fun begins. It WILL go on the hook, but it's a major PITA. Assemble and adjust. There are TWO important rubber pieces at the tranny end, as well as two steel pieces.

The other things that fail are the actuating "finger" inside the end of the trans, and the pedal assembly itself, where the cable comes through a tube before it attaches to the pedal. If that's broken, take a day off and come up to see me. You can fix the tranny yourownself. Parts are readily available.

The Cap'n
KaptKaos
Here's the culprit.

Click to view attachment

I should have the replacement here shortly.

Is there another part that connects that white loop that is broken to the pedal assembly?

The bushings on the trans side are in sorry shape too. I don't think I can get new ones of those today, but I need those too.

Thanks for your help! I will post results as things change (hopefully improve).
Cap'n Krusty
That loop slips over a hook on the clutch pedal. It can be a major curseword generating effort. There's VERY little clearance for that to happen, and you're just gonna have to work at it, moving things around until it slips into place. The Cap'n

KaptKaos
Do I hook the pedal end first? I assume so but I want to be sure.

Thanks again.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Dec 5 2009, 11:32 AM) *

Do I hook the pedal end first? I assume so but I want to be sure.

Thanks again.

Yes.

The Cap'n
KaptKaos
Done and done.

Thanks for the help!

Oh, and getting the loop on the clutch pedal assembly was easy. I held the loop with my left hand, and moved the pedal down and up with my right. Popped right on. Didn't even have to get upside down in the foot well there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.