Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: keeping blue plate in CA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tiim5
This is california dmv oriented. I am re registering a 914 that has fallen'out of the computer' at dmv. The car has a 'blue' license plate, correct to the year. When i went to dmv i was told I could not keep the blue plate but had to reregister the car and get a newer white license plate. I was told only the old black plates could be kept as collecters plates. has anyone been successful in keeping your blue plate when the car is out of the system like this? Thanks
nebreitling
i wouldn't know the answer to that (i would suspect that you're SOL), but welcome!! we're neighbors, at that!
VegasRacer
The information you were given by the DMV is only half right. A car must be from 1962 or earlier to be eligible for YOM plates. Black plates do not qualify. They were first issued in 1963. The only way to have either black or blue plates on your car is if it has been continuously registered.

You do have a few options. If you want to pay the extra fees you can get a vanity plate or one of the special issue graphics. Or .......... you can get a Historical Vehicle plate since your 914 is over 25 years old. The one statute says that you can only drive the car for club activities, shows and parades with these plates. Another vehicle code (Division 3, Article 8, section 5004, paragraph F ) says that a car is of historic interest if it is collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities.

If your teener is not your daily driver you should not have a problem getting these plates.
lapuwali
I wonder...If the car has fallen out of the system, then no one else has that plate number. Perhaps you could get a set of vanity plates using that number, and just use the blue plates you have.
JeffBowlsby
I asked DMV recently if I could mount the blue plates from one 74 914 onto another 74 914 and they would not allow it. They said the only way they could do it was if the blue plates were custom plates, which they were not.
415PB
A friend of mine just went through this last year. He bought a 73 911 S and it had been out of the system for many of years. He wanted to keep the blue plates, but was told by DMV that he could not because it was no longer in the system. He produced an old registration proving that the license plates indeed belonged to the 911. DMV had him fill out some paperwork and it was sent up to Sac for approval. Couple weeks later, he was told that he could use the original blue plates. It was not alot of work at all, but then again your dealing with Ca DMV...
Joe Bob
Go to AAA and try it....THEY are not complete assholes like DMV is. If you are not a memeber, you should be, you own a 914....if it hasn't been towed yet....it will.... laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.