Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Few, the rare......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Tom_T
EDITED - DELETE
dcheek
Sorry for such a long delay posting pictures as many of you have requested.
After 2 years of not driving my 914 (shame on me), I finally got 'er out for a spin. Well, not quite. I had to drain the gas, change the fuel filter and fuel pump. Serves my right to neglect the car based on my laziness to dig her out of storage. Never again! Gotta run 'em periodically no matter what!

Steve (smg 914) has the right idea about a rotation schedule to exercise the cars. I'm going to come up with a similar plan to avoid neglecting any of my cars.

I've taken as many photos as I could. The first batch are just some basic exterior shots. More detailed photos I'll post later. If you need a picture of something I missed for your restoration, just send me a PM.

Here are the particulars:

1976 914 2.0
Purchased by me December 1975
Mileage 24060 miles
Malaga Red, Black Interior
Every option except A/C, which was really a dealer installed item.
Number 3411 out of the last production run of 4100 cars.

Dave
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
MDG
Fantastic, Dave! I'd love to see a LOT more pics please.
tod914
Looking real good Dave. Think it might make it to the aircooled event this year?
dcheek
QUOTE(tod914 @ Aug 8 2011, 07:51 PM) *

Looking real good Dave. Think it might make it to the aircooled event this year?

Hi Tod,
No, I will bring a VW Bug or Bus because I have to bring a lot of stuff to the event. For those who don't know what we're talking about, here is the link to the event which takes place September 19th:

www.allaircooledgathering.com

Dave
BajaXJ92
My '71 Gemini Blue(left) and '75 Laguna Blue(right)

Both cars are all original with the exception of an exterior respray on the '75.

70K original miles on the '71 and 84K original miles on the '75.

Video of the '75: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSbB1K0x5CA

IPB Image
Bleyseng
QUOTE(dcheek @ Aug 7 2011, 03:25 PM) *

After 2 years of not driving my 914 (shame on me), I finally got 'er out for a spin. Well, not quite. I had to drain the gas, change the fuel filter and fuel pump. Serves my right to neglect the car based on my laziness to dig her out of storage. Never again! Gotta run 'em periodically no matter what!

Steve (smg 914) has the right idea about a rotation schedule to exercise the cars. I'm going to come up with a similar plan to avoid neglecting any of my cars.

I've taken as many photos as I could. The first batch are just some basic exterior shots. More detailed photos I'll post later. If you need a picture of something I missed for your restoration, just send me a PM.

1976 914 2.0
Mileage 24060 miles

Dave

Original LE spoiler or aftermarket?
How about some engine shots...
dcheek
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 11 2011, 07:35 AM) *

QUOTE(dcheek @ Aug 7 2011, 03:25 PM) *

1976 914 2.0
Mileage 24060 miles

Dave

Original LE spoiler or aftermarket?
How about some engine shots...

Geoff,
The spoiler was on the car from day one. I haven't seen one like it on another 914. It's a hard plastic with the end caps glued on. I would have to assume it's factory since I've changed nothing since I've owned it. As you know the spoiler wss part of the appearance package (Wheels, fog lights, etc).

Here are some engine shots as requested. Sorry for the lack of cleanliness. I haven't seriously detailed this car in years. I used to spend months before the Zone I events taking everything apart. I admire Tod's passion (Tod 914) for his work. For some reason I don't have the energy or desire to take it to that level again. It may come back, but until then I will just keep it relatively clean.

Dave

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
1971 914/4 1.7L 61,000+/- original miles, still original Bahia Red paint & Black Leatherette interior, 1 owner - mostly original & unmolested (except as noted below).

(Disclaimer: I'm not the owner, but have know the owner Jerry since 1976, and know the level of care he's given his 914, and know that the low mileage is correct in the pix taken at our PCA OCR "Porsches & Doughnuts" gather in Orange CA in EDIT 3/28/12 March 2011 April 2010 - it's been so long I slipped a year!.)

Purchased new in SoCal by a buddy of mine from the dealer 95% as you see it here, with the following options added by the dealer for a prior buyer who backed out, then Jerry bought it as equipped by the dealer for that buyer; as well as the minor changes & replacements made by Jerry during his ownership.

Factory Options (AFAIK - will update when I verify & know more):*
Appearance Group Options (or most/all of those options), including:
- Chrome Bumpers & Chrome Foglight Grills
- Driving Lights (Foglights)
- Dual Tone Horns
- Vinyl Covered with Chrome/SS Trim at Rollbar/Sails
- Center Storage Tray with Cushion/Armrest Cover
- Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
- [Loop] Pile (Velour) Carpet

IIRC this was a one MY only offering of the "Textured Vinyl Leatherette" material for the seat inserts & interior door panels (see posts 165 & 166 after this).
> Not technically an option, but a "selection of interior materials."

Extra Center Dash-top Air Vent (optional on 914/4s & standard on 914-6s)

Possibly the M440 "Radio Ready" Speaker & Manual Antenna option (or dealer installed)

IIRC Tinted Windows All Around Option (sides & windshield only)

California Emissions ($15 fee & test req'd. on all cars sold new in CA)

Optional Wheels & Tires may have been Factory OE before the ones as delivered
I'm not sure on Performance Group Options?? but if so, would include:
- Front & Rear [Anti-] Sway Bars
- 5.5x15 Lightweight Alloy Wheels (Pedrini) with 165SR15 tires

* AFAIK there is no COA since he bought it new, but I'm pretty sure that he still has the window sticker & original sales docs. - if so then the COA is elementary.

Dealer Installed Items when New:
Rosewood Dash Face (Dealer Accessory)
Dealer Radio Install
Turned Aluminum Threshold & Dead Pedal Protection Plates
Front Hood Porsche Crest Badge
Polished Western Alloy Wheels with 165SR15 tires (Semperit M201 initially)

Note: Factory original fitment for the 71 MY 914/4 1.7L were 155SR15 tires mounted on either: 4.5x15 or 5.5x15 steel or 5.5x15 Pedrini Alloy wheels.

Items Done by Dealer under warranty:
Engine rebuild due to stuck valve at about 20k miles

Items Done by Jerry the OO since New:
Added a 914-6 Fuel/OT Combo Gauge (to better monitor engine/oil temps)
Replaced L&R Rockers with OEM Parts due to rust damage (snow skiing)
Rechromed Original Front Bumper & had license plate mounting holes filled then
Added new speakers into stock housings & CD player into glovebox
Aftermarket Coco Floor Mats
Aftermarket Muffler (primarily due to lack of NLA true OEM unit)
Airbrushed minor dings & RF fender lip stucco scrape (after these pix taken)
Wife's purse & stuff on passenger side biggrin.gif

Here goes with some Hi-Rez pix from March 2011 - again, this is 100% 40 year old Bahia Red paint at the time taken & only 1-2% in chips & scratches were touched up since then - by a pro Porsche CW detailer here in OC who does alot of the CWs' P-cars for shows here in SoCal (click on any image to zoom way into these hi-rez pix):

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

... continued at my next post ....
Tom_T
... continued from my prior post ....

1971 914/4 1.7L 61,000+/- original miles, still original Bahia Red paint & Black Leatherette interior, 1 owner - mostly original & unmolested (except as noted in my first post on this car).

More pix (click images to enlarge):

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

1971 914/4 1.7L 61,000+/- original miles, still original Bahia Red paint & Black Leatherette interior, 1 owner - mostly original & unmolested (except as noted in my first post on this car).

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

(BTW - In the last pic, far in the background, that's our two Mrs. chatting by my wife's 211,000 mi DD Dove Blue Metallic `88 VW Vanagon CamperGL Westfalia, which is still 80% original paint - only FG pop-top & panel below rear hatch & small area scraped behind lower side sliding door have been repainted.)

... that's all I have for now.

A true original low mile, one owner beauty!
drooley.gif wub.gif
dlkawashima
Tom, the doors panels and seats on the red car ..... what finish is that on the seats and panels? I'm familiar with the basketweave and brickweave patterns but not that one. I assume it's original?
Tom_T
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 25 2012, 12:05 AM) *

Tom, the doors panels and seats on the red car ..... what finish is that on the seats and panels? I'm familiar with the basketweave and brickweave patterns but not that one. I assume it's original?

Dave,

Yes - that is the ALL original interior as it came from the factory, & it was an early 914 leatherette "Grained" textured finish ("Perforated" in the seat inserts - IIRC it was 71 or 70-71 MY only), as shown on Bowlsby's webpages here:

http://www.bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PaintFabrics.htm
http://www.bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zPF_71F4.jpg
http://www.bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zPF_71F5.jpg

His carpet is the loop pile or "velour":
http://www.bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zPF_71F3.jpg

My buddy's nickname we gave him was "Mr Perfect", and his 914 shows it!
dereko88
'75 1.8L, 46k original miles.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Pat Garvey
Please don not consider me a bad person here, because this thread has been released to the general discussion of this forum.

Why? Because is it unlikely than any remaining 914 can be "perfectly" maintained "as-delivered" from the factory. Perfect as the cars that have been showcased in this topic are....they have dealer installed options. Not a bad thing at all, and these 914's will be revisited.

Though this topic had good intentions, it's impossible to find a 914 that, even though delivered originally as bone stock, hasn't been "adjusted" through the years. These cars will be revisited in the new format of nailed years. It will start soon, and work slowly....we want it more useful & less tedious this time. We'll address all the nuances of each year and model, and will ask for 914s to represent each model and year.

Changes are coming!
Pat
6freak
QUOTE(dereko88 @ Apr 14 2012, 10:00 PM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Steptoe Butte ....great lookout
dereko88

Hey, cool. I didn't think anyone would recognize that. I live ten minutes from there. I've only seen one other 914 on the street in the Palouse and that was practically in Coeur d'Alene where there are lots of Porsche's.
nj91462
1976 914 2.0-- I am the third owner since 1977. Car has been a California car for the entirety of its life. Nothing has been altered; all original. Less than 25,000 original miles.Click to view attachment
orthobiz
Nice ride, nj! Little bumperettes identify it as CA or VA delivery...Anacona color?

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(nj91462 @ Jul 25 2013, 07:44 PM) *

1976 914 2.0-- I am the third owner since 1977. Car has been a California car for the entirety of its life. Nothing has been altered; all original. Less than 25,000 original miles.Click to view attachment

Sweet ride! Don't touch it.
CTDan914
I'm just wondering, do you guys that have very low miles have any oil leaks to deal with? I wondering if the gaskets and seals tend to dry out due to the low miles.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(CTDan914 @ Sep 6 2013, 05:58 PM) *

I'm just wondering, do you guys that have very low miles have any oil leaks to deal with? I wondering if the gaskets and seals tend to dry out due to the low miles.

They DO dry out, but it's because of age. Mileage is "relatively" unimportant. Use really helps keep things wet, but 40+ years (or thereabouts) do take a toll.

I have a small seepage leak from somewhere on my '72. The stuff travels and makes it difficult to find the source if the motor is dirty underneath. Mine is clean underneath and I know that the seepages are coming from the oil strainer and the tranny rear seal. Neither is serious ( a drop a week) but they are irritating. To be addressed soon.

Lack of use is probably the worst thing.
dcheek
My pushrod tubes leak a little, but re-hydrate after driving for a while and won't leak again for weeks. The other issue is the clutch is slipping which is most likely due to the trans seal leak or main seal. I've been putting off this repair for years but, it's getting to the point that driving up a long hill at highway speeds is becoming a challenge. Also, I really can't get on it in any gear. I'm planning on buying a 2 post lift this winter (see the lift thread in the World Garage section). I originally was going to have a local shop do the repair but, for what it would cost, I can buy a lift and keep it forever. Plus, I can take my time and detail everything while the engine and transmission are out. You know, a winter project.

Dave
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 22 2009, 08:49 PM) *

BTW. Isn't Al's ( Johnny Blackstain ) LE an all original car ? Or has it been repainted ?

sorry this took 5 yrs to get back to you Scotty but the answer is yes & yes. Original LE w/ 47k miles & 1 repaint.
Saturn63
This is my 914 2.0 1974 all original apart from spoler driving.gif
daytona
Hi guys,
Looking at the photos of the beige 914 is humbling, and brings up a couple of questions about my 74 914.
I recently purchased 74' 914 that is in very good condition. No rust that can be found, and it has obviously been well taken care of during its life. The car was originally signal orange, but a previous owner had the exterior repainted in the incorrect "Tangerine orange". The trunks, door jambs and engine area are still the original signal orange but it does have scuff marks and scratches. I want to repaint the car the original color. Should I also repaint the interior areas or should I leave those with the original paint with its patina?
Also, even though the car has no rust on the rockers and hell hole and it does not sag, it was suggested that I weld in a stiffener kit to prevent future sagging. Is this something that I should do to preserve the car???
Thanks in advance for all comments and suggestions.
Bill.
zach914v8
QUOTE(6freak @ Apr 18 2012, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(dereko88 @ Apr 14 2012, 10:00 PM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Awesome. These pictures are amazing. Car looks incredible, scenery looks amazing. I want a poster!
Jamie
I'm not exactly sure about how to post this, but I have an unmolested 73 1.7L that is a time capsule, and almost totally original as purchased new by my Dad. I bought it from him in 2002 for a $1 and have nursed it as a reliable driver. I have a good set of document photos I will attempt to post, as she(I named her"Dad's Mistress")escaped the death by rust in Ohio because he kept her in the garage during "salt season!"Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Jamie
I'll add some more images as I figure out how to do multiples!
Jamie
More.Click to view attachment Note the original factory paint on the battery tray!
Jamie
These images were made several years ago, and 2 yrs. ago had her exterior repainted with original "beautiful" L99A Delphi Green. I have detail images of stickers, labels, etc. if anyone is interested in seeing them. Note the original factory paint on the battery tray, and I have replaced the old battery with an Optima to keep the paint! I am in awe of some of the "rustorations" I've followed here on site, and these make me more thankful for Dad's care in keeping her original. Some of y'all have seen her on past 2 Okteenerfest events, and we'll be attending again this year in Banner Elk at the end of September. She had 41K miles when I received her, and we're over 54K now, so she does get driven.
914Next
QUOTE(Jamie @ Aug 26 2016, 04:20 PM) *

These images were made several years ago, and 2 yrs. ago had her exterior repainted with original "beautiful" L99A Delphi Green. I have detail images of stickers, labels, etc. if anyone is interested in seeing them. Note the original factory paint on the battery tray, and I have replaced the old battery with an Optima to keep the paint! I am in awe of some of the "rustorations" I've followed here on site, and these make me more thankful for Dad's care in keeping her original. Some of y'all have seen her on past 2 Okteenerfest events, and we'll be attending again this year in Banner Elk at the end of September. She had 41K miles when I received her, and we're over 54K now, so she does get driven.

Beautiful. Love Delphi green and love to see a car that has stayed in the family. And of course one in that condition is impressive.

Why did you repaint? With so few miles it seems like the paint might have still been ok? Would love to see it sometime. Thought I might make it to Octeenerfest this year but looks like work will keep me away.

Steve
Jamie
QUOTE(914Next @ Aug 26 2016, 10:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Jamie @ Aug 26 2016, 04:20 PM) *

Beautiful. Love Delphi green and love to see a car that has stayed in the family. And of course one in that condition is impressive.

Why did you repaint? With so few miles it seems like the paint might have still been ok? Would love to see it sometime. Thought I might make it to Octeenerfest this year but looks like work will keep me away.

Steve

The original clearcoat was peeling, and there were many scratches where Dad had wiped her down with a dry towel. In all the years he owned her she had never been waxed, and there were a few dings here and there to be corrected.
smg914
Always nice to see 914s getting some recognition.
porbmw
Congrats, well deserved, a MOST lovely car!!! wub.gif
Tom_T
Congrats Steve! smilie_pokal.gif

For those who don't know, this is an all original 24,000 known mile 73 2L in an uncommon special order color Sahara Beige.

Well worth going back to the beginning of this thread & look at all the pix of Steve's fantastic car, & his other 2 914s - a noteworthy 914-6 & another low mile original 74 LE.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
StarBear
Just discovered this forum section. Here's mine - original owner 1974 1.8L in Zambezi Green. Original paint (except for replaced left rear fender and rear trunk) and 99% original.
gturner008
Here are a few pictures of my 76, 39k miles, never messed with example.
gturner008
QUOTE(gturner008 @ Apr 29 2020, 12:48 PM) *

Here are a few pictures of my 76, 39k miles, never messed with example.

gturner008
Picture
gturner008
Picture
gturner008
Picture
gturner008
Picture
gturner008
Callipers clean up nice
Tom_T
It's nice to see an original L80E example in here. smile.gif

Keep up the good work & pix!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
gturner008
Thanks Tom. More pics on way
gturner008
Picture
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.