Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Few, the rare......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
6freak
QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 8 2009, 07:56 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Dec 8 2009, 07:24 AM) *

WOW smilie_pokal.gif ...Are you missing the cover over the brake fluid reservoir..maybe they didnt come with that year car ....Again WOW

That was an aftermarket thing. Functional but not original.

10-4 again amazing car
smg914
Center console showing the correct 1973 temp gauge with the longer red area. Perfect heat seam stiching along the top edge of the console sides. Oh yes, the period correct COCO Mats in black with tan dots.
smg914
Dealer installed VPC Air Conditioning under dash unit. They had to shorten the center console when AC was installed to make room for the under dash unit. Hence the altered arrangement of the three gauges. Check out the mileage on the speedo!
smg914
The original owner had a FLAPS leather steering wheel cover/wrap installed. I wasn't sure what I would find when I removed it but to my surprise I found it to be perfectly preserved and original.
dcheek
QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 8 2009, 10:18 AM) *

Dealer installed VPC Air Conditioning under dash unit. They had to shorten the center console when AC was installed to make room for the under dash unit. Hence the altered arrangement of the three gauges. Check out the mileage on the speedo!

Steve,
How is the quality of the installation of the condenser? I've seen some that were really butchered up. In fact that's why I didn't opt for it since there was a chance that my dealer would not do a neat "factory" installation.

Dave
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 7 2009, 04:07 PM) *

this looks like it was re cad plated! Much too pristine and golder (sp) than original
kconway
QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 7 2009, 03:07 PM) *

I can't place this, what is this a photo of? Can't be front trunk, not correct profile for headlight?

Kev
smg914
Although there are at least 10 different versions of this interior light available, this is the only one ever used (except some of the very, very early 914s had a version made by SIDLER).

The face of the lens should show: VW, Made in Germany and HELLA all etched into the plastic. The on off switch should be flat (flush with the lens) and it should be white. And of course the all important chrome bezel.
smg914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 8 2009, 10:29 AM) *

QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 7 2009, 04:07 PM) *

this looks like it was re cad plated! Much too pristine and golder (sp) than original

No, more an issue with my camera and/or the camera operator. And besides, think about it. Here is a car that was kept in a climate controlled garage its entire life, with only 22,000 original miles, every receipt since new, why in the hell would the front hood latch need to be replated????????? It shouldn't even be questioned.
smg914
QUOTE(kconway @ Dec 8 2009, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 7 2009, 03:07 PM) *

I can't place this, what is this a photo of? Can't be front trunk, not correct profile for headlight?

Kev

Kev,
No its the front trunk latch. Just a strange angle that is screwing you up. Absolutely the original front hood latch with its original cad.
smg914
QUOTE(dcheek @ Dec 8 2009, 10:28 AM) *

QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 8 2009, 10:18 AM) *

Steve,
How is the quality of the installation of the condenser? I've seen some that were really butchered up. In fact that's why I didn't opt for it since there was a chance that my dealer would not do a neat "factory" installation.

Dave

I know what you mean. I've seen some real butcher jobs but they really did a nice clean job on this car. Someone must have respected the car when they did the job. Some day I will remove the spare tire and take some photos.
MDG
I've seen so many brown interior cars that have faded to a nasty peach tone over the years; it's fantastic to see how beautiful that interior choice actually was.

The visuals on this thread are overwhelming.
smg914
QUOTE(MDG @ Dec 8 2009, 11:14 AM) *

I've seen so many brown interior cars that have faded to a nasty peach tone over the years; it's fantastic to see how beautiful that interior choice actually was.

The visuals on this thread are overwhelming.

I've actually seen some documentation referring to this interior color option as Mahogany instead of Brown.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 8 2009, 10:50 AM) *

Thanks to everyone that expressed positive comments. I'm not sure where to stop. I will add more photos and details but I don't want to hold up Dave C. from getting started with his car.

Mike, the original owner handed me a box that contained the original factory mirrors. For some reason, he didn't like the way they looked. I can't tell you how happy I was to find that Charles was smart enough to use the original factory holes to install the Vitaloni Tornado Mirrors. All I had to do was just unscrew the Vitaloni's and install the originals. I sold the Vitaloni's on ebay to a Ferrari guy for quite a bit of money.

For some reason my camera is beginning to screw up. This has been happening a lot lately. Some photos come out unrecognizable, all blurred.

A few photos of the engine compartment. Please keep in mind that I haven't cleaned these areas since the 2003 Parade. Note the factory original "RED" vacuum hoses. I soaked/washed them in wool-lite in the kitchen sink (don't tell my wife) and they turned out looking like new. Also note the original valve adjustment sticker on the left front of the engine tin and the original factory emission stickers on the left side of the body and the correct yellow tape on the voltage regulator.

Did the same thing with some of my 72 hoses & it works great! But the black hoses were too faded, so I soaked them in RIT dye. They're black again.

If only I could get that green hose from the vacuum advance.......
Pat
dcheek
Steve,
Your car is really breathtaking! And the pictures are top notch. You have really raised the bar for posting in this category. With that in mind I will have to wait until the good weather to take some pictures. We just had our first snow storm and the salt spreaders have been out. As a result I've put my car in hibernation for the winter. Ahh, to live in Florida and be able to drive 12 months a year.......... So, it's up on the skates, covered, topped off with gas and fuel stabilizer added.

Click to view attachment
smg914
David,
I remember those long winters up North. I play tennis 6 days a week and I'm thankful to be able to play year round outside. I play on a USTA 4.5 team for those of you that know what that means. Anyway I will be taking more photos and posting them here in a few days. My wife gave me a long list of things-to-do and taking photos and posting here was not on the list. We all look forward to spring time so we can learn more about your car and for the photo documentation of how a 1976 914 looked when it left the factory.
JeffBowlsby
An absolutely amazing car Steve, thanks for sharing it...hope you will post more details. No criticisms...but some thoughts out loud:

It looks like this car never received the HO warranty update? Early style battery cover...no front trunk HO sticker, yet fuel lines are not sheathed?

Hey can you show us the treasured...Rusnak hubcaps?

Does your car have any Rusnak dealership maintenance labels?

Can you explain those paper tags by the trunk latches...and where all do they occur on your car? biggrin.gif
smg914
Thanks Jeff,

You know, come to think of it, I believe you're correct about the HO campaign. After I purchased the car I replaced the flexible brake lines and all the fuel lines (except the ones going thru the tunnel). It still had the original type elbows between the injectors and the fuel rails. I replaced them with the upgraded rubber elbows. I really don't have an explanation why the recall was never done to this car.

Funny that you remembered those Rusnak Logo Center Caps. I still have them but when I attempted to take a photo of them today, my Cannon digital camera totally crapped out on me. The screen is just a blur and so are the photos it takes. So for now I do not have a working camera.

My car does not have any of the Rusnak dealership maintenance labels. Based on the Maintenance Record book, Rusnak did the initial inspection but Charles had the car serviced at NEUFELD P/A in San Carlos, CA. The first receipt shows 521 miles. I have a total of 11 receipts from Newfeld P/A. The 12th receipt and all the rest are from the town in Florida where Charles lived.

Tomorrow I will identify where all the white paper stickers are located. Some of them you can still see they were stamped. I will attempt to document what the stamp shows. I always assumed that these stickers were some kind of factory inspection sticker.
smg914
I blew the dust off up my old elcheapo 3.2 mega pixel camera.

As Jeff knows, at one point in time Rusnak P/A use to place these stickers on the center caps of the 914's they sold. Mine was no exception.
smg914
I don't have the time to completely open up the car today. Not only would I have to take the cover off, I would also have to pull it out of the garage but with a 40% chance of rain today and tomorrow, I will not be taking it out of the garage.

This morning I opened up the rear trunk and found 2 of the white paper (inspection?) stickers. One near the latch on the lid and the other on the back right side between the karmann number and the factory welded in sway bar brace thingie.

The sticker is stamped in ink with a Circle with IL-2 inside the circle.
smg914
The sticker on the inside of the rear trunk lid near the latch also has the circle with the IL-2 inside the circle. This sticker is in a similar location to the one on the inside of the front trunk lid that I documented in an earlier post.
smg914
Rear trunk "thick black rubber insulating pad" that was used beginning with the 1973 MY and into the 1974 MY before being changed mid year to a cheaper looking plastic covered pad.
smg914
Nice original (yes original) cad plaiting on the bumper bolt and washer and rear light assembly nut and washer.
smg914
Bingo!! I just found another sticker. Its located on the back left side of the engine compartment lid. Its a little yellowed probably caused by the heat from the engine.
smg914
The left rear trailing arm has a white painted circle with the letter K inside of it. The right rear trailing arm doesn't have the circle but it does have the letter K painted in white. Please excuse the dirty trailing arms and wheel wells (not cleaned since Parade in 2003).
Tom_T
QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 10 2009, 09:10 PM) *

You know, come to think of it, I believe you're correct about the HO campaign. After I purchased the car I replaced the flexible brake lines and all the fuel lines (except the ones going thru the tunnel). It still had the original type elbows between the injectors and the fuel rails. I replaced them with the upgraded rubber elbows. I really don't have an explanation why the recall was never done to this car.

Steve (& Jeff), many 914s didn't "officially" have the HO Campaign done, with some having their trusted indy mechanics or do it themselves instead. However, you can verify it & any other recall campaigns' status at any Porsche dealership - & if never done per their records, you can still contact PCNA & get a work order to have it done....

....if you want to trust some young guy used to the new Porsches who is half the age of your 914 to do it right!?? dry.gif

My early 73 2L had never been done, & PCNA sent out a field tech rep. on 12/2/09 to verify that neither HO (fuel/battery) nor BO (proper Fuchs 2L wheels for hub-centric fitment on 73 2L up thru Dec 72 build date) were done. Probably more for my history, unless I cannot find a particular hose or fitting. The wheels are n/a, since the PO/OO or dealer replaced the Fuchs with Rivieras.

GREAT pix - Thanx again!!!! ...& again!!! ...well, you get the idea! biggrin.gif drooley.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 8 2009, 10:44 AM) *

Although there are at least 10 different versions of this interior light available, this is the only one ever used (except some of the very, very early 914s had a version made by SIDLER).

The face of the lens should show: VW, Made in Germany and HELLA all etched into the plastic. The on off switch should be flat (flush with the lens) and it should be white. And of course the all important chrome bezel.

Can you post a better pic of the interior light showing the chrome bezel you're talking about?? ...where & what exactly do you mean by the "bezel"?

Mine has no chrome bezel on the outside rim (if that's what you mean??), and came with a flush black button & never replaced since I got it used in 12/75 (maybe PO did??). It's marked as you noted, & has some sort of notching on the underside of the edge of the light's lens as your pic shows.

Mine is the way I recalled all the 914s I'd seen back in the day," but I looked thru some of my older period pix (73 sales brochure, Brian Long book, R&T & MT articles of the day, etc.), & those where I could see something of a button, they were white (none are close nor clear though), but cannot make out anything bezel-wise.

Anyone have a source for this "proper OE" 914 light, as I think PP, AA, SMC, etc. all sell the black button Hellas now????
smg914
Tom,
Here is the best photo I could get for you with my 3.5 mega pixel camera. By chrome bezel I'm referring to the groove that goes around the entire inner perimeter of the lens that is filled in with some kind of chrome which is visible on the front face of the lens. Although you can't see it in the photo, the white knob has horizontal grooves in it so its easier for your finger to slide it on and off.

Notice on the face of the lens from Left to Right: Hella logo, Made in Germany and the VW logo.

By the way, there are no cracks in this lens. What appears to be a crack in this photo (to the left of the switch opening) is actually the plastic piece on the back of the lens that the switch mechanism is attached to which is reflecting thru the lens.

This lens has been NLA for a very long time. Just keep you eyes open for someone selling an NOS one or one that is in excellent condition.

I'm positive that the lens you say you purchased on 12/75 is not the original lens to your 914, if in fact its the one with the flush black on off switch knob and no chrome bezel. I could be wrong but I don't think your lens has the VW logo on it.
Tom_T
QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 11 2009, 05:41 PM) *

Tom,
Here is the best photo I could get for you with my 3.5 mega pixel camera. By chrome bezel I'm referring to the groove that goes around the entire inner perimeter of the lens that is filled in with some kind of chrome which is visible on the front face of the lens. Although you can't see it in the photo, the white knob has horizontal grooves in it so its easier for your finger to slide it on and off.

Notice on the face of the lens from Left to Right: Hella logo, Made in Germany and the VW logo.

By the way, there are no cracks in this lens. What appears to be a crack in this photo (to the left of the switch opening) is actually the plastic piece on the back of the lens that the switch mechanism is attached to which is reflecting thru the lens.

This lens has been NLA for a very long time. Just keep you eyes open for someone selling an NOS one or one that is in excellent condition.

I'm positive that the lens you say you purchased on 12/75 is not the original lens to your 914, if in fact its the one with the flush black on off switch knob and no chrome bezel. I could be wrong but I don't think your lens has the VW logo on it.

I can see now what you mean by the chrome bezel - Thanx! And I know what you mean about the inside part looking like a crack....it's not & same on mine.

Is it open on the back inside with an exposed bulb holder, wiring etc.??

My lens is the same as yours except it has "DOT" between "Hella" & "Made in Germany" then "VW" (in a circle), & same grooved button but black. Wonder if they could only sell the DOT approved replacements here in the USA at some point?

....but no chrome bezel behind & a clip on the right to snap it in (very similar to our 88 Westfalia dome light), which ugly snap I presume the chrome bezel serves the same function in a much cleaner look.

idea.gif ...wouldn't that 70's period say "Made in W. Germany", since there was no "Germany" per se then???? ... either East or West Germany back then.

Sounds like I need to take some pix this weekend when it stops raining & post it as a separate O&H question thread, not to clutter your beauty's pix! Please add your pic to it to for everyone's reference there.

I always thought they used black buttons because most 914s had black interiors, and.....well, it was VW! dry.gif

I just cannot get over hot good yours looks - it's both encouraging & intimidating in trying to do a reasonably accurate resto on mine! blink.gif
Tom_T
EDITED - DELETE
Tom_T

WOW smilie_pokal.gif ...Are you missing the cover over the brake fluid reservoir..maybe they didnt come with that year car ....Again WOW

confused24.gif
What brake reservoir cover?? ...I've never seen one OE, do you or anyone else have pix of example?
Tom_T
EDITED - DELETE
6freak
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 12 2009, 08:50 PM) *

confused24.gif
What brake reservoir cover?? ...I've never seen one OE, do you or anyone else have pix of example?

Ive only seen one in a for sale pix of a yellow car ..someone said it was after market??
championgt1
rhodyguy has one of the brake fluid reservoir covers on his car. It is the only one I have ever seen.
smg914
An absolutely beautiful day in Tampa today and the car was due for its exercise so I took it out for a 18 mile cruise. All is well!!!!!!
MDG
Beautiful, Steve. Amazing how light conditions change the tones on your car.

I envy your car and your weather! I took the A6 out today and was happy for Quattro . . .
TJB/914
Steve,

I love the color and interior of your 914. I hope someday to see it in person & admire this special and beautiful car.

Someone mentioned a cover for the brake reservoir. I think I found a photo of Gary Stellmach's 914-6 with a cover that has a Porsche logo. Is this what your talking about???

Tom
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 13 2009, 04:49 PM) *

An absolutely beautiful day in Tampa today and the car was due for its exercise so I took it out for a 18 mile cruise. All is well!!!!!!

Steve,
This is, without a doubt, the best pic I've seen of your remarkable(understatement) 914.
Pat
smg914
To Tom and MDG and Thomas and Pat and all the others with the positive comments, thank you very much. I was just out in the garage and as I was putting the cover back on, I got this feeling that the car is feeling very proud right now. I will be posting more detail shots soon.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Dec 13 2009, 06:06 PM) *

Steve,

I love the color and interior of your 914. I hope someday to see it in person & admire this special and beautiful car.

Someone mentioned a cover for the brake reservoir. I think I found a photo of Gary Stellmach's 914-6 with a cover that has a Porsche logo. Is this what your talking about???

Tom

Thanx for the pic Tom......never seen anything of the sort before in my 35 years around 914s, but I must ask why....????

Seems like overkill to buy an aftermarket clear plastic cover over your sealed MC reservoir, but then it is a Porsche.......!
Tom_T
QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 13 2009, 01:49 PM) *

Yup.....& like a big ole dog out for a run after a long spell inside - panting, drooling & tail-a-waggin, she's thinking......"I'm free, I'm free - Yipeee!" biggrin.gif

...then you put er back in the garage & it's dry.gif

What a beauty Steve. I'll be putting these pix into my reference file when the laptop is fixed, to guide my own 73 2L's restoration.

As with Pat's comment.....there are others out there with original 914s who could post. Ideally for those with other years & models/builds would post at least one for each model year, engine, options, USA, Euro, etc. to guide others.

Pat - is there any reason why someone like you cannot post your 72 1.7 here, and note what may have been re-done/non-original as a reference vehicle which has been kept "as original" for a reference vehicle?? ...or even as a second nailed thread for "maintained as" & "restored to" original?? confused24.gif

The main purpose of these posts, is to give folks good reference pix of what a particular year/model 914 looked like or should look like when it left the factory/dealer, in order to get more back to proper fitment & condition.

...of course, there's always the drooley.gif factor! smile.gif
carr914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 14 2009, 01:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Dec 13 2009, 06:06 PM) *

Steve,

Tom

Thanx for the pic Tom......never seen anything of the sort before in my 35 years around 914s, but I must ask why....????

Seems like overkill to buy an aftermarket clear plastic cover over your sealed MC reservoir, but then it is a Porsche.......!

I had a Brake Reservoir Cover on this car, but it didn't have the Porsche Logo

T.C.

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
EDITED - DELETE
carr914
Was on the car when I bought. I should have taken it off before I sold it.

T.C.
TJB/914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 15 2009, 11:33 AM) *

Was on the car when I bought. I should have taken it off before I sold it.

T.C.

Hey Guys,

We need to put this brake reservoir cover story on another thread & not hi-jack Steve's story. I just had lunch with someone who has the whole story with photo's, etc.

Hint: The one in the photo is not factory. Only (3) were special made and we know who has them. More later during the slow holiday's. It's a good mystery story. ,

Tom
Now back to Steve's beautiful 914. wub.gif
carr914
No Offense intended to the CW's

T.C.

Tom_T
EDITED - DELETE
Tom_T
EDITED - DELETE
TJB/914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 15 2009, 05:49 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 15 2009, 04:24 PM) *

No Offense intended to the CW's

T.C.

I didn't & don't think most others did either, as it was related to a legit question on the originality issues on Steve's 914.
IMHO it's absolutely appropriate to this thread, as I said in my answer to Tom B. above. smile.gif

Hi Guys,

I didn't mean to offend anyone, I was just thinking we were getting off subject with Steve's 914. Your right, seperate posts are difficult to blend subjects together. I'll get a story together next week when I return from a business trip. I need to visit Gary's 914 to get names & better photo's on the covers.

Tom, I just didn't want to tick Pat off. chair.gif
Tom_T
EDITED - DELETE
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.