Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Few, the rare......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Pat Garvey
As the title suggests, post your 914 if it is even close to 100% original, as delivered. Post copious text and pics, so the others can use as a benchmark.

You know who you are, so just do it!
Pat
smile.gif
Tom_T
EDITED - DELETE
silver74insocal
although it isnt complete, its all original and its how i got it. if this isn't right for your topic please delete, Thanks. Dave

cant get pix to attach let me try again
smg914
A large crowd has gathered and they have been patiently waiting for the story behind the infamous Sahara Beige '73 2 liter. New photos and some history of the car to follow between now and Christmas.
smg914
The bottom of the car wasn't always clean enough to eat off of. It took me nearly a year to remove the thick, back tar undercoating from the wheel wells, inner rocker panels and the bottom of the rear trunk area above the transmission. I did it all by hand using mineral spirits, hundreds of white terry cloth rags from Wal-Mart, wooden paint stirrers (to scrape the softened tar one layer at a time) and an unbelievable amount of elbow grease. I did this because I wanted to see as much of the Sahara Beige as possible. Why hide it with thick black tar? Beneith all that undercoating I found magnificantly preserved original paint.
smg914
But man was this car clean and after much deliberation with 2 concours judges (Gerry Curts and Bob Wannamaker) I was convinced that it was my duty and responsibility to spend the time to take it to the next level of cleanliness.

Tomorrow I will go to Kinko's and scan the photos I took the very first time I saw the car in the original owners driveway. I will also tell the story behind the car.
smg914
The brown "Rich Corinthian Vinyl" interior is the perfect contrast to the Sahara Beige exterior.

note: The R.C.V. is just a joke
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 6 2009, 09:14 PM) *

The brown "Rich Corinthian Vinyl" interior is the perfect contrast to the Sahara Beige exterior.

note: The R.C.V. is just a joke

Nice start! Now get on with the history.
Pat
smg914
I purchased the car from its original owner (Charles) in March of 1998. This is how it looked the very first time I saw the car. My wife and I drove our Signal Orange '73 2 liter from Tampa to Punta Gorda, FL to see the car. When we arrived at his house the car was sitting in his driveway. Charles and his wife named the car "SARA" which you can see on the front license plate.
Click to view attachment
smg914
Charlie purchased the car on October 7, 1973. He wanted a white Porsche but when he saw the unique beige 914 sitting on the showroom floor at RUSNAK P/A in Pasadena, CA he had to have it. RUSNAK had special ordered this 914 with the $330.00 color to sample option. Charlie loved to drive the car to Laguna Seca and Sears Point to watch the races. Charlie flew 747's for United Airlines. He retired in 1989 after 25 years with United and moved from San Mateo, CA to Punta Gorda, FL.
smg914
Although the car was delivered with tinted glass all around, Charlie had all the glass tinted with the film that is applied to the inside of the glass. It was actually a good thing because I believe it did a wonderful job of perserving the interior. No fading at all to the brown vinyl. The tinted film pealed right off and was very easy to remove.

Charlie sold the car because he ordered a Boxster and was moving to Minnestoa to be near their son. When I purchased the car from Charlie, he was 78 years old.

The car was completely orginal. It had its original muffler, heat exchangers and bumper tops. Although I replaced the muffler with a brand new Leistritz muffler, the heat exchangers and bumper tops remain the originals.
smg914
The car came with the original window sticker and every receipt since new.
smg914
All the nuts and bolts and assemblies still have their original plating in beautiful condition.
smg914
Click to view attachment
smg914
Less than 23,000 original miles. The front and rear valance panels and both side lower panels have the factory original black paint and on the back side of these panels they still have the original factory primer showing with no rust. The car has been kept in a climate controlled garage its entire life.
smg914
Dealer installed AC that will freeze your socks off. Note the AM/FM stereo radio made by "Automatic Radio". The total cost of this car was $7,071.40 + tax. That was a lot of money for a 1973 914. I ordered a brand new pheonix red 2 liter in early 1973 and the price was only $5,318.50. Although that car didn't have any options beyond the appearance group and the performance group which were standard on the 2 liter in 1973. Not to mention the multiple price increases that took place in 1973. I remember at least two $600 price increases in 1973. One of which was probably for the 1974 models.
smg914
Paint code 98 for color to sample (previously used Porsche color). This car was manufacatured in July of 1973.
smg914
The car seems to change its shade of beige depending the lighting conditions. Although a couple of beige 914's have recently appeared (all pre 1973) this is the only Sahara Beige 914 known to exist.
smg914
The Car of the Month photo that was taken at Rennsport Reunion III in Daytona. The car was the Preservation Group Division winner at the 2003 Parade. Lost out for the overall win to a 928 with 140,000 miles that was driven everyday. That was the last concours I ever entered (long story).
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
smg914
Love it or hate it, you've got to respect the fact that the car has been preserved in original condition for nearly 37 years. I love the fact that its unique and with the added bonus that its in beyond excellent condition. Although this car could (or should) be in a museum, I excercise the car every 5 to 6 weeks.
URY914
Click to view attachment
smg914
Here is my excercise schedule (2009) for all the cars. I do this to make sure that none of the cars sit without being driven for more than 6 weeks.
smg914
The front tire board sits higher due to the AC unit under the spare tire. Note the black tar glob covering a screw that holds the AC dryer inside the right front wheelwell.
smg914
Note the white substance on the top of the Left front shock tower. This stuff is applied by the factory. This car still has the original shocks installed. Also note the black brace holding the brake fluid reservoir in place and the original front hood seal. In fact, every rubber seal except for the inner door seals are the originals that were on the car when it was new and they're all in excellent condition. I use WURTH Rubber Care Gel on all the seals.
smg914
Note the original gas cap with a small VW logo engraved on top. Also note the AC sticker on the extension container put in place by the dealer that installed the AC.
smg914
The original Dunlop SP57 spare tire that has never been on the ground. Note the VPC AC condenser (square) beneath the wheel. You can also see the air connection for the spare tire that connects to the windshield washer fluid container (not connected).
smg914
Original spare tire and fuchs wheel. Remember the days when the spare wheel matched the other four wheels? Note the factory wheel weight still attached to the inner side of the wheel.
Ferg
All I can say is thank you. That is my favorite 4 cyc 914, this history and breakdown is excellent. beerchug.gif
smg914
Although I haven't washed the car since Rennsport Reunion III back in November of 2007, its still fairly clean. Note the cad plated turn signal assembly bracket and other cab plated items related to the headlight assembly.
smg914
Original factory wheel center cap with the wide flange. All four in perfect condition. Note the green substance on the wheel. The car was delivered with this substance on the wheels. Some believe the factory slaps this substance on the end of the lug nuts which sometimes splashes onto the wheels to show that the lug nuts were torqued. With this substance still on the wheels proves they have never been refinished or restored.
smg914
The original Lackstift touch up paint (in Sahara Beige L 80 Z.1). These Lackstift applicators were found in the glove compartment of new 914's.
URY914
Note the reflection on the INSIDE of the trunk lid

Click to view attachment
smg914
The original owners manual packet that included the manual, emission control manual, P/A dealers brochure and the maintenance record booklet showing the original owners information and the scheduled maintenance.
smg914
The original tool kit. Note the 2 breather holes in the black plastic tool bag. There are a total of 4 of these holes (2 in front and 2 in the back). Note the factory black rubber band to secure the tools inside the plastic bag.

For storage purposes, I keep the tool kit inside a neat little basketweave wrap. It helps preserve the tool kit and it also helps keep it in place inside the front trunk. I would remove this if the car was to ever be judged or shown.
carr914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 7 2009, 10:18 PM) *

Note the reflection on the INSIDE of the trunk lid

Click to view attachment

Note Rob Quarles (914rrr) wishing he could have a car this nice biggrin.gif
silver74insocal
amazing looking car...great find. my hats off to you sir
tod914
Absolutely amazing Steve. Thanks again for taking the time to share. The car certianly found the right owner.
MDG
Thanks! It's like being transported back to a showroom in 1973.

One question; was there any issues left behind on the paint when you swapped back from those aftermarket side mirrors?

mike
dcheek
Steve,
What a car! What a find. And the paint to sample color, yikes! I tried to order my car with a custom color but it was too late. The production was already over for the entire 914 series. I wanted a dark metallic brown with tan interior. So I went with the Malaga Red with Tan interior. When I went to take delivery, the interior was black?? Oops, they made a mistake and tan was not to be found that late in the model year. It was either a black interior or a 924. Ultimately, I think I made the right decision. Here is me and my 914 at the staging area for the Original Owners Display at the 2005, 50th Anniversary Porsche Parade. It was great seeing you there.

Dave

Click to view attachment
6freak
WOW smilie_pokal.gif ...Are you missing the cover over the brake fluid reservoir..maybe they didnt come with that year car ....Again WOW
tod914
Dave you car is equally as nice. I drool everytime I see it. But far enough away so I don't drip on it.
smg914
Thanks to everyone that expressed positive comments. I'm not sure where to stop. I will add more photos and details but I don't want to hold up Dave C. from getting started with his car.

Mike, the original owner handed me a box that contained the original factory mirrors. For some reason, he didn't like the way they looked. I can't tell you how happy I was to find that Charles was smart enough to use the original factory holes to install the Vitaloni Tornado Mirrors. All I had to do was just unscrew the Vitaloni's and install the originals. I sold the Vitaloni's on ebay to a Ferrari guy for quite a bit of money.

For some reason my camera is beginning to screw up. This has been happening a lot lately. Some photos come out unrecognizable, all blurred.

A few photos of the engine compartment. Please keep in mind that I haven't cleaned these areas since the 2003 Parade. Note the factory original "RED" vacuum hoses. I soaked/washed them in wool-lite in the kitchen sink (don't tell my wife) and they turned out looking like new. Also note the original valve adjustment sticker on the left front of the engine tin and the original factory emission stickers on the left side of the body and the correct yellow tape on the voltage regulator.
smg914
QUOTE(6freak @ Dec 8 2009, 07:24 AM) *

WOW smilie_pokal.gif ...Are you missing the cover over the brake fluid reservoir..maybe they didnt come with that year car ....Again WOW

That was an aftermarket thing. Functional but not original.
smg914
QUOTE(dcheek @ Dec 8 2009, 07:12 AM) *

Steve,
What a car! What a find. And the paint to sample color, yikes! I tried to order my car with a custom color but it was too late. The production was already over for the entire 914 series. I wanted a dark metallic brown with tan interior. So I went with the Malaga Red with Tan interior. When I went to take delivery, the interior was black?? Oops, they made a mistake and tan was not to be found that late in the model year. It was either a black interior or a 924. Ultimately, I think I made the right decision. Here is me and my 914 at the staging area for the Original Owners Display at the 2005, 50th Anniversary Porsche Parade. It was great seeing you there.

Dave

Click to view attachment

A lot of people don't know that Dave and I have know each other since the 1970's when we were both NNJR members. It sure is great seeing you again and seeing your beyond excellant 914 is still as nice as it was back in the day. I look forward to seeing and reading about your 914. I recently talked to Joe Reid on the phone for well over an hour.
smg914
Rear trunk showing nice original cab plaiting on the nuts and bolts and original gauze type wrapping around the wiring harness.
smg914
No longer concours but here are some photos of the trans area showing the original heat exchangers and the original Boge shocks.
Porsche Rescue
Thanks Steve. Keep 'em coming. How about a few more of the interior. The work involved in achieving the clean turn signal/side marker area inside the front fender is awe inspiring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.