Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would you do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Socalandy
Helping a friend out today only to find out as the car is being stripped of its paint that the original color is 98 Aubergine. I far as I know this is a very rare color but not for everyone out there.

Restore to factory color or spin the wheel for his choice? what would you do?? He's not sure now that I told him its a rare custom color.
SirAndy
One of my favorite colors for the 914!

So, my completely biased opinion would be to go with the original color ...
smile.gif Andy
markb
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 5 2009, 07:48 PM) *

smile.gif Andy

agree.gif
davep
My vote is also for the original Aubergine. What is the VIN and the production number from the Karmann badge?
rjames
agree.gif One of my favorite colors too, plus it's a rare one so if refinishing to original state is important, as it can be for resale, then go with aubergine.

Then again, I'm always a little surprised that people need help picking out what color their car should be painted. What color would your buddy like it to be? He's the one that will be looking at it. smile.gif
Sleepin
Love it or hate it...it is his car. I would try to persuade him a bit to take it back to original!
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(markb @ Dec 5 2009, 07:58 PM) *

smile.gif Andy

agree.gif

+2 agree.gif such a distinct and rarely seen color really calls for it's return to O.E.M. spec.

Paul
swood
QUOTE(markb @ Dec 5 2009, 07:58 PM) *

smile.gif Andy

agree.gif

agree.gif agree.gif driving-girl.gif Mine and T H O M A S' former Aubergine was the OG color. Really sexy. Keep it OG.
swood
MMMMM.....eggplant.
Socalandy
confused24.gif Well this was my thinking too and he should be signing up for World and taking your comments into his decision makeing process.

lets see the VIN and chassis # Gene!!!
iamchappy
No question, 98, is way cool...............................
swood
L98 was a code for a custom dealer color.

The peanut gallery will correct me if I'm wrong.
Socalandy
his car only has "98" on the tag!! No L stamp
scotty b
Aubergine with set of polished Fuchs drooley.gif
swood
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 6 2009, 03:03 PM) *

Aubergine with set of polished Fuchs drooley.gif

Found these. Right to your point... drooley.gif

McMark
Paint it black. That way my Aubergine is more valuable and unique.
ph34r.gif
carr914
Original 98 Aubergine, in this case no other choice.

T.C.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Dec 5 2009, 10:04 PM) *

No question, 98, is way cool...............................

agree.gif
campbellcj
I love this color too. It's fantastic on an early taildragger (911) as well, IMO.
agentblr
I have a 76 car with the "98" paint code. Original color.... Chocalte brown icon8.gif I think I'll keep it Marathon blau biggrin.gif
viaverde
OK.....It's gonna go back to the "original" color....as Andy noted it's a code 98 no "L".......
Vin# 4722914009 (what's the 009 designate)
Karmann chassis# 1349573 (it's hard to read)

Thanks for the photos and responses...it does look good, when it's done right...
markb
QUOTE(viaverde @ Jan 28 2010, 12:11 PM) *

OK.....It's gonna go back to the "original" color....as Andy noted it's a code 98 no "L".......
Karmann chassis# 1349573 (it's hard to read)

Thanks for the photos and responses...it does look good, when it's done right...

pray.gif
SLITS
009 was the 3rd James Bond. It means nothing.

47 = Type 47 (914)

2 = 1972

2914009 = Production number as far as I remember. Others with more expertise can chime in.

And with a L98 or 98 paint code, you can paint it any color you want and call it "Factory" though the COA may disagree. I have one and Sepia Brown would not have been my first, maybe my last, but not my first choice.
McMark
AKAIK, 98 color code is for getting other production Porsche colors not usually available for the 914, such as Guards Red, Aubergine, Oak Green Metallic, and Sepia Brown to name a few.

Color code 99 is for the 'paint to match' program where you could bring in a color sample they don't already have mixed (i.e. if you wanted to match your eye color or your jacket exactly).

Anyway, glad to hear it's going back to original, and....

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
tat2dphreak
obligitory statement... "it's his car, he can do what he wants"

there... that said, if I was in his shoes... no fucking way would it be ANY other color! it's a great color, and the fact it's rare means that much more.
SirAndy

47.2.29.14009 means your car is the 14009th 914 made in 1972 ...
shades.gif Andy
tat2dphreak
FWIW:

The factory changed the strut housing, ball joint, caliper and rotor at VIN 4722919032

so he'll be looking at the 70-72 parts... many places list the parts as 70-72 and 72-76, so there can be some confusion over which ones to get... I had this trouble too, because I have the later car, and some places list the parts as 70-72, and 73-76... I found I need the 73+ parts... the hard way smile.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 28 2010, 12:52 PM) *

AKAIK, 98 color code is for getting other production Porsche colors not usually available for the 914, such as Guards Red, Aubergine, Oak Green Metallic, and Sepia Brown to name a few.

Color code 99 is for the 'paint to match' program where you could bring in a color sample they don't already have mixed (i.e. if you wanted to match your eye color or your jacket exactly).

Anyway, glad to hear it's going back to original, and....

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Don't forget Raspberry biggrin.gif
Slider
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 28 2010, 02:24 PM) *

47.2.29.14009 means your car is the 14009th 914 made in 1972 ...
shades.gif Andy

What does the 29 indicate ?
47 =Type 47
2 =MY 1972
29 =???
14009= Consecutive number of production
SirAndy
QUOTE(Slider @ Feb 1 2010, 11:56 AM) *

What does the 29 indicate ?
47 =Type 47
2 =MY 1972
29 =???
14009= Consecutive number of production

29 = Karmann factory number for the plant in Osnabrück

bye1.gif Andy
Ferg
QUOTE(agentblr @ Dec 6 2009, 06:28 PM) *

I have a 76 car with the "98" paint code. Original color.... Chocalte brown icon8.gif I think I'll keep it Marathon blau biggrin.gif

dry.gif Chocolate Brown Rules shades.gif laugh.gif

If it were me, original color color always, unless yellow stirthepot.gif
Frost
Whoaw! I just found out that my car's paint code is L64K and i looked it up and it turn up it's Zambezi Green. Where can someone look up how many Zambezi Greens are out there?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Frost @ Feb 1 2010, 10:52 PM) *

Whoaw! I just found out that my car's paint code is L64K and i looked it up and it turn up it's Zambezi Green. Where can someone look up how many Zambezi Greens are out there?

You can search the VIN database by color, like so:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...mp;byColor=L64K

shades.gif Andy
993inNC
Can I jump in here for a moment? here's my # 4752908898 which would indicate my car is the 8898th car built in 75. But based on the production numbers posted on this site, there weren't even 8000 cars made in 75.....

What have I missed?
DBCooper
Not necessarily a vote against it, but could I point out that rare doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing? Purple is probably rare now because no one liked it enough to order it back then. smile.gif
john grier
All jokes aside I would gladly trade any of my 914's for an original 914 of that color.
I say this after seeing one in person in Huntsville Al. at the RCR.
That color is a show stopper.
Pat Garvey
Aubergine is one of my absolute favorite colors.
I stll kick myself for not buying a 73S in that color, back in 76. Combine that with houndstooth seat inserts - mmmmmm! Too bad it was a Sporto.
Pat
smg914
QUOTE(993inNC @ Feb 2 2010, 07:58 AM) *

Can I jump in here for a moment? here's my # 4752908898 which would indicate my car is the 8898th car built in 75. But based on the production numbers posted on this site, there weren't even 8000 cars made in 75.....

What have I missed?

There were over 11,300 914's produced for the 1975 model year.
silver74insocal
hi guys, so did i miss the post that says how to locate one's color code? confused24.gif thanks, dave
davesprinkle
QUOTE(swood @ Dec 5 2009, 09:06 PM) *

MMMMM.....eggplant.

Steve, what are the wheels on that car?
kconway
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Feb 2 2010, 09:08 PM) *

hi guys, so did i miss the post that says how to locate one's color code? confused24.gif thanks, dave

Dave,
There should be a plate on the drivers door jamb between the hinges that has the code.
silver74insocal
so my tag shows 4742913686 still cant see it? i believe its factory silver but wanted to be sure. help? thanks Dave
kconway
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Feb 2 2010, 10:51 PM) *

so my tag shows 4742913686 still cant see it? i believe its factory silver but wanted to be sure. help? thanks Dave

Wrong tag. If you still have one affixed to the car its between the hinges on the jamb on the a-pillar it's the Karmann Coachbuilder's tag.

Looks like this:
Click to view attachment
silver74insocal

Wrong tag. If you still have one affixed to the car its between the hinges on the jamb on the a-pillar it's the Karmann Coachbuilder's tag.

Looks like this:
Click to view attachment
[/quote]
L 96 D thanks kev!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.